Old 04-12-2016, 09:33 PM   #31

I have read your post and am teetering on both sides of the information. What got me looking into the load pressure charts is the listed weight and pressure are the maximum that can be used/carried. I'm pretty sure we don't always have max pressure in our vehicle tires because we monitor the tread wear and increase or decrease to get more even wear across the tread. Until now I was not aware of the earlier referred to Goodyear load charts but they kinda help put a value to increase/decrease tire pressure based on vehicle weight so the tire wears evenly. As an example if I take a LRD at max pressure, put it on a 1000lb trailer, and drive it for say 5,000 miles I strongly believe that the center of the tire would be worn and the sides would look new.

I'm not saying your wrong but I question why for so many years I have actually been adjusting my tire pressures to maintain even tire wear without having any documentated reason other than what my father taught me to do. I know before steel belts tire wear was more uneven and needed more attention but I still watch and have actually adjusted my vehicle pressure to even out the tire wear.

16 Silverado 3500 HD 6.6 Duramax 4X4
(Still looking for newer FR 5er)
Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Hitch, TST tire monitors
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:47 AM   #32

I'm tempted to run mine just a little under the max for LRD tires.
I know that with LRC tires, at LRC pressures, I don't have much margin for error.
I also know that the higher the pressure the rougher the ride (general rule of thumb, I know there are exceptions), and that I don't need the full weight capacity of LRD.
I'm thus thinking of running the LRD at around 60psi cold (giving a much better load rating than LRD, but not too rough a ride for a lighter (for LRD) trailer.

I don't 100% agree that using LRD tires at LRC pressures is just the same as using an LRC tire, since LRD tires are built to withstand higher pressures, and the tire construction is thus tougher (which is where the old, and somewhat outdated 8-ply/10-ply naming comes in). That being said by using LRD at LRC pressures you're certainly not gaining the weight capacity advantage which most are concerned about.

That's why I'm thinking of a "happy medium" of running at 60psi, a little shy of the max 65psi but certainly much above the 50psi of LRC

Old 04-13-2016, 09:10 AM   #33

If anyone is planning to deviate from max tire pressure you need to be able to monitor pressure and temp to make sure the tire remains stable. There is an acceptable pressure range from cold to hot (up to normal operating temp) that tires operate in. Pressure always goes up as tire gets up to correct running temperature but it should remain relatively stable when it reaches that point. This is why we want to test this while being able to monitor the tires pressure and temp the entire time.

If your not able to monitor these values I think things could get out of control quickly. Be very careful when making any changes that are unmonitored.

Bob & Cindy
Old 04-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvn2tvl View Post
If anyone is planning to deviate from max tire pressure you need to be able to monitor pressure and temp to make sure the tire remains stable. There is an acceptable pressure range from cold to hot (up to normal operating temp) that tires operate in. Pressure always goes up as tire gets up to correct running temperature but it should remain relatively stable when it reaches that point. This is why we want to test this while being able to monitor the tires pressure and temp the entire time.

If your not able to monitor these values I think things could get out of control quickly. Be very careful when making any changes that are unmonitored.
Agreed. TST507 TPMS to the rescue

One of the things that makes me uncomfortable with the stock LRC tires is the amount of pressure increase in use.
The temperature doesn't seem especially high (from the external sensor), but the pressure swing is over what I'd consider the usual 20% swing (more like 25%)
Old 04-13-2016, 01:55 PM   #35

I call TST this morning to confirm the temp monitoring accuracy of the external sensors. They said the internal and external temps are pretty close together regarding temp. They are actually measuring tire temp + - 3c and are not reading ambient air which is a real good thing. They don't really have a comparison between the rubber or steel stems regarding temp accuracy however they definitely do recommend using metal stems when installing the TST 507 sensors. It's not required to use steel stems but really recommended!!

In addition to the information above we talked about improvements to the internal sensors. They were having issues with installers over tightening the stems and having leaks. The upgraded design has a strap that goes around the inside of the tire and the sensor is mounted to the strap. This mounting system is very similar to what Chevy and Ford are using. Although it cannot be seen on their site yet because of IT delays this is what they are switching to for less leaking issues. They will be sending me PDF information sometime today or tomorrow and I will distribute it as a link to this post when I get it.

Bob & Cindy
Old 04-13-2016, 04:02 PM   #36

Yeah, I have the flow-through sensors since I'd read of issues with the internal ones.

I currently have rubber valve stems, but am about to head to the store to pick up my order of metal valve stems.

I've had issues with one of the existing valve stems causing issues for whatever sensor is on that valve stem.

My truck has some stems that seem to be a mixture of rubber and metal, and I've had no issue with those.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:36 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
Yeah, I have the flow-through sensors since I'd read of issues with the internal ones.

I currently have rubber valve stems, but am about to head to the store to pick up my order of metal valve stems.

I've had issues with one of the existing valve stems causing issues for whatever sensor is on that valve stem.

My truck has some stems that seem to be a mixture of rubber and metal, and I've had no issue with those.
The all rubber and the rubber with brass still have only the rubber attaching the valve stem to the wheel. I had the all rubber on my earlier truck and the RV has the rubber and brass ones currently but not for long.

Bob & Cindy
Old 04-13-2016, 05:21 PM   #38

The original poster has been absent during all of this discussion , I still wonder what she thinks new tires will do as her complaint was that the trailer pulls to hard ? Will new tires give her more horsepower ?
Old 04-13-2016, 05:32 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingbob View Post
The original poster has been absent during all of this discussion , I still wonder what she thinks new tires will do as her complaint was that the trailer pulls to hard ? Will new tires give her more horsepower ?
No, they'll make it lighter

(I'm hoping that didn't mean that it pulls hard to one side, since if so there are other issues going on).
If the trailer has also got worse to pull than it was originally then there could be a whole bunch of issues that be the cause (other than flat tires) ...
seized brakes or brake controller issue, bearings need lubing (and/or re-packing), brake-away cable pulled, etc etc
Old 04-13-2016, 09:33 PM   #40

It’s a fact. Vehicle manufacturers are responsible for setting your trailer’s recommended tire inflation pressures and putting that information in your trailer’s owner’s manual, on the tire placard and vehicle certification label.

Vehicle manufacturer recommended tire inflation pressures are the minimum pressures for the correct inflation of your tires. All tire manufacturers adhere to the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended tire inflation pressures for Original Equipment (OE) tires.

Replacement tires of a differed design, size or load range may have to be adjusted to a new recommended tire inflation pressure. That recommended inflation pressure must be sufficient to provide, at the very minimum, the load capacity the OE tires provided when properly inflated.

Every tire manufacturer has their in-house procedures. Those procedures are pretty much set in stone. They may be worded differently from manufacturer to manufacturer but the end results will be the same. They are called tire industry standards.

Here is an industry standard from a giant.

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/help/how-to-choose-tires.html#tab-4

Industry standard about tire inflation pressures by another well known tire manufacturer.

http://us.coopertire.com/Tire-Safety/Tire-Safety-Tips/Proper-Tire-Inflation.aspx

Info from one of the ST tire manufacturer’s.

http://www.maxxis.com/trailer/trailer-warranty

Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires