Old 08-23-2015, 10:25 PM   #21
Equalizer Hitch

Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I don't think this would work for a weight distributing hitch.
Works well with our Equal-i-lizer hitch. Nothing special about it except it prevents the chains from hanging down so you don't have to twist them, and at the same allow you to use the full length of the chains if needed. We also use their quick-connect disconnect cable to the emergency brake box.

gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:29 PM   #22
2007 WildCat 32QBBS
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
When your chains are attached to the A-frame at essentially the same place, it's physically impossible to "cross" them. Best you can do is twist them and hope for the best.
Same result.

*Current: 2005 Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually 6.0 diesel 4x4*
*Retired: 1987 F350 Crew Cab Dually 6.9 turbo diesel
2007 Forest River WildCat 32QBBS
05CrewDually is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:54 PM   #23
Too old to be too smart
Texas law:

Title 37
Part 1
Chapter 21
Rule 21.5, d, (4) says: (emboldening is mine)

"Safety chains must be attached to either side of the tongue or connecting apparatus of the towed vehicle, equidistant forward and aft of the hitch or connector. They shall not be directly welded to the towed vehicle, but rather shall be connected by means of bolts, pins, or other secure connecting methods, that meet necessary strength requirements."

I re-did the safety chains on a small trailer that I annually take through their Panhandle, just to meet the requirements. Besides, it only had one chain to begin with. Most states require two, and of equal length, so I don't know what this "new thing", mentioned above, is all about.

Grade 8 bolts, washers, and nuts, both sides.

Duplicated it on our Flagstaff, too.

2004 Terry 250RKS, perfect for the two of us and the pups. It recently replaced our Flagstaff 21FB.

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3:73's
SpringerPop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:12 AM   #24
Just a member
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
In my mind I have went over this a million times debating with 'My Self' for years (and years). "Do I want the emergency brakes to come on the camper,in the event of a TV and camper separation and have the TV pulled off the road and possible turn over because of the 'safety chains' or 'let' the camper go 'free' and crash by itself and have less harm to the TV and those in it." I have been told several times (by road safety people) that the 'safety' chains are not really for the 'safety' of the camper/TV, but for the safety of where that rouge run a way camper may go and hit other vehicles/people/property.

What are your thoughts?
Pondered that stuff too. Especially the part about the kinda sh_t storm that would transpire behind me if the hitch fails and the chains take up the slack without trailer brake activation. Everything I know, gleaned or have been told about the system says chains first to keep the trailer attached to the TV and ultimately, the breakaway device to engage the trailer's brakes should the chains fail. However, I've seen many trailers that have a safety chain connection arrangement that are doomed to fail if the hitch lets go. It wouldn't really matter if the chains were crossed in those instances.

Keith, Lori & the Wild Bunch
TT: 2011 Rockwood 8293RKSS
TV: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CC 4x4 (ya.. it's got a Hemi
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote