Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
miatared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 704
Thumbs down

Are there ANY American made ST rated tires ? Seems like maybe not anymore.

I have only seen Made in China to date. Have not seen any Korean made ones either.

Just curious.

Denis
__________________

__________________
Denis & Diane
2010 Sabre 31REDS
Ford F-250 2011
* Happy Campers *
miatared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:35 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Capt. Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Franklin County, MO
Posts: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klbrown53 View Post
I am still running the factory Trail Express (China tires). I decided to just go with them this season and replace them in the Spring.

Presently in the middle of a two week trip through Colorado I am keeping a close eye on them. I have also been using a TPMS system from the beginning.

I think I am probably up around 5000 miles by now and will be at around 6000 by the time we get home. Only about 3 more shorter trips after that before I winterize.

I usually do a walk around every stop. Also constantly watching the TPMS monitor going down the road. Only thing I cannot predict or detect is a catastrophic failure.


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
I checked all of mine, including the temperatures with an infrared thermometer, at a rest stop in Illinois this past summer. 15 miles after getting back on the road, the RF trailer tire blew, taking out a section of the trailer skirt with it. My Trail Express Load Range C's have now been replaced with Hercules Load Range E trailer tires. First long trip on the new tires coming up next week.
__________________

__________________
Mike and Yvonne
and Sophie, the little white dog
2017 Columbus 320RSC
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:38 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Fivealive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klbrown53 View Post
I am still running the factory Trail Express (China tires). I decided to just go with them this season and replace them in the Spring.

Presently in the middle of a two week trip through Colorado I am keeping a close eye on them. I have also been using a TPMS system from the beginning.

I think I am probably up around 5000 miles by now and will be at around 6000 by the time we get home. Only about 3 more shorter trips after that before I winterize.

I usually do a walk around every stop. Also constantly watching the TPMS monitor going down the road. Only thing I cannot predict or detect is a catastrophic failure.


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
I hope that works for you. I had a tpms also and it was of no use for stopping the damage caused by the treadcap. It went off right after I stopped, kinda funny in an ironic way! Like the tire was mocking me.
__________________
Fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:47 PM   #24
DDC
Senior Member
 
DDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Komoka Ontario
Posts: 2,363
If you follow the ownership of the companies making (China Bombs) as they are described you will find they can be traced back to the few multinational companies that also make the so-called good tires.
__________________
"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:16 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Everett, Washington
Posts: 170
If memory serves me, I think that Firestone tires were the ones that Ford was having an issue with. I too have not seen any tires with the Made in America stamp on them. I just don't know what to do with my tires. I have read a lot of threads on this subject and have taken a lot of notes just A LOT of information out there contradicting each other, so for now......concerned.......
__________________
Mike, Lisa and Jake
2002 Ford F250 CC 7.3
2013 Wildcat Sterling 32RL
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:06 AM   #26
Infractee
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMattox View Post
If memory serves me, I think that Firestone tires were the ones that Ford was having an issue with. I too have not seen any tires with the Made in America stamp on them. I just don't know what to do with my tires. I have read a lot of threads on this subject and have taken a lot of notes just A LOT of information out there contradicting each other, so for now......concerned.......
Indeed it was Firestone. I do remember there were lawsuits and such and I do believe that the requirement that all new vehicles have a TPMS was borne out of this problem. I also know that Ford redesigned the suspension on the front of the Exploders and no longer used Firestone tires on any new product. Not sure why Ford took it in the shorts for a ****** firestone tire but it is what it is.

I personally would not buy any tire with a name ending in "stone"
Had a Bridgestone tire lose it's tread on me 30 years ago and soon after a friend lost his tread on a firestone, swore off all bridgestone/firestone tires then and have never gone back.
__________________
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #27
Infractee
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Further consensus is get Trailer tires not Light Truck Tires.
Is that the consensus? Now that more mfgs are supplying LT tires on FWs and pretty much all cargo/flatbed/car hauler trailers are using LT tires I think the consensus is shifting rapidly. Add the china tire bomb factor in and it is no longer IF, it is WHEN.
__________________
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:32 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
vinmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 1,793
SO true. Not an IF, but a WHEN.
__________________

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
BiigDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivealive View Post
So far Carlisle STs are doing OK on the forums, with some owners reporting as many as 5000 miles. I bought a set and am hoping for the best. Marathon owners have a mixed result according to their comments.
I am 6 months in and over 4000 miles on my Carlisle ST's with zero problems, and they look brand new. I had them installed the day I bought my Rockwood, and balanced as well. I am a satisfied customer.
__________________

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
Indeed it was Firestone. I do remember there were lawsuits and such and I do believe that the requirement that all new vehicles have a TPMS was borne out of this problem. I also know that Ford redesigned the suspension on the front of the Exploders and no longer used Firestone tires on any new product. Not sure why Ford took it in the shorts for a ****** firestone tire but it is what it is.

I personally would not buy any tire with a name ending in "stone"
Had a Bridgestone tire lose it's tread on me 30 years ago and soon after a friend lost his tread on a firestone, swore off all bridgestone/firestone tires then and have never gone back.
I own a second generation Exlporer (my TV) and other than the free Good Year's Ford used to replace my OE Firestone's I have been using the Firestone Destination LE on it and my pick up truck with great results. The Good Year's were some of the worst tires I have every had on a vehicle. Not only were they noisy but their life was nowhere near what I've gotten on Firestone of Michelin.

Part of the tire problem was the result of Ford not using the recommended tire and using lower than recommended inflation pressures for the tire in order to improve the ride. This was the heyday of the truck based SUV but many of the people that bought them complained that the ride was like a truck (I wonder why). The result was Ford did what it could without redesigning the vehicle to make the ride feel smoother. Many folks also didn't understand how to handle a higher center of gravity vehicle which resulted in role overs and a lawsuit caused redesign in 2002. In the end it was the beginning of the midsize SUV becoming a car as opposed to a multi-occupant truck much to my chagrin.
__________________

__________________
2015 F150 Ecoboost
2014 Palomini 142 CK
keith_h is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tire, tires

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.