Old 09-20-2014, 01:29 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivealive View Post
Discount tire sold Greenballs at one time, but dropped the brand. Costco appears to have an exact match load rating policy. They also want wheel torque documentation from the trailer manufacturer.
I just looked at their online, the Greenball are still sold there.

http://www.costco.com/trailer-tires.html

Old 09-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by presley01 View Post
Forest River should offer a wheel and tire upgrade. I would have gladly paid the difference for a good tire vs the junk that came on our RV.
The same question was asked on the factory tour. The managers answer was if they offered an up graded tire that people would think that they got junk, which they did but didn't know. He stated that will not happen by FR.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:12 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I just looked at their online, the Greenball are still sold there.

http://www.costco.com/trailer-tires.html
One potential bonus of Greenball tires are that they are rated to 70 mph. I almost went with them, but Costco offers zero warranty on them, whereas Discount Tire offered their excellent tire warranty on my Carlisles.

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #44
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
The same question was asked on the factory tour. The managers answer was if they offered an up graded tire that people would think that they got junk, which they did but didn't know. He stated that will not happen by FR.
Makes about as much sense as a soup sandwich.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #45
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
Makes about as much sense as a soup sandwich.
Remember, it was a tour guide and not really anyone with decision making authority. IMO, tour guides are kinda like salesmen, they tell you what they think you want to hear in most cases.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:23 PM   #46
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Remember, it was a tour guide and not really anyone with decision making authority. IMO, tour guides are kinda like salesmen, they tell you what they think you want to hear in most cases.
Partly true - but on the other hand,the guides are representing FR and some,if not most people, believe what the guides are saying. After all,that's why the guides are there - to impress prospective buyers.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:48 PM   #47

I was working for a construction company last year and all the truck tires were Chinese. Either Long March or Double Coin brand. These were on dump trucks, concrete mixers and semis and semi trailers. When they bought tires it was usually a truck load order. Tires were fair but got a lot of abuse from overloading and sidewall damage.

As for my 2 yr. old TT, it's getting some new shoes this winter.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #48

Lions Head Tires

I had Lions Head tires on my 8528IKWS. After two months I started loosing air in two of the tires. But it was only when I was moving. Parked, they did not loose air. Had Discount Tire here in TX check the rim seal. No problems. Blew them up to 75 lbs. and you could see VERY small bubbles on the side wall. Contacted Lions Head. They wanted me to do a bunch of stuff, at my cost but no real solution. Contacted FR. They offered me two options. They would send me 4 new tires, same brand, or $300 and I could buy what I wanted. I took the $300 and put on a set of Carlisle load range "E". Discount Tire said they have changed out several sets of Lions Head tires. I have had no problems since the swap and have put on about 2500 miles.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
I had great luck with my Carlisles as well. They lasted 9 years with no problems. I should not have pushed them that far and will never do that again after learning from everyone here that tires should be replaced sooner. I plan on 5 years max now.
HI y'all new poster here. I wish I had found these threads yesterday. Today on the way home I had a tread separation on one of my ST205/75R15. I got the trailer last month (2005 model) and the tires looked brand new, 10/32" tread depth etc. I am at 5300# on both axles so way understated and pressure was at 50 psi. The only issue was the DOT code which is 3004 i.e. ten year old! My bad... Going to bring it to CW to have the skirt and wheel well fixed along with the damage to the underfloor it did when it went off. Hopefully insurance will cover the repairs ($500 deductible)
Old 09-22-2014, 09:24 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
It did happen - at least for some lines. Wildcat offers an upgrade to Maxxis. I hope they expand that to more brands. I would gladly pay the extra $$ upfront for a better tire.

Wildcat Fifth Wheel Features / Options by Forest River

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires