Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #21

Thumbs down

Are there ANY American made ST rated tires ? Seems like maybe not anymore.

I have only seen Made in China to date. Have not seen any Korean made ones either.

Just curious.

Denis
Old 09-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klbrown53 View Post
I am still running the factory Trail Express (China tires). I decided to just go with them this season and replace them in the Spring.

Presently in the middle of a two week trip through Colorado I am keeping a close eye on them. I have also been using a TPMS system from the beginning.

I think I am probably up around 5000 miles by now and will be at around 6000 by the time we get home. Only about 3 more shorter trips after that before I winterize.

I usually do a walk around every stop. Also constantly watching the TPMS monitor going down the road. Only thing I cannot predict or detect is a catastrophic failure.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
I checked all of mine, including the temperatures with an infrared thermometer, at a rest stop in Illinois this past summer. 15 miles after getting back on the road, the RF trailer tire blew, taking out a section of the trailer skirt with it. My Trail Express Load Range C's have now been replaced with Hercules Load Range E trailer tires. First long trip on the new tires coming up next week.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klbrown53 View Post
I am still running the factory Trail Express (China tires). I decided to just go with them this season and replace them in the Spring.

Presently in the middle of a two week trip through Colorado I am keeping a close eye on them. I have also been using a TPMS system from the beginning.

I think I am probably up around 5000 miles by now and will be at around 6000 by the time we get home. Only about 3 more shorter trips after that before I winterize.

I usually do a walk around every stop. Also constantly watching the TPMS monitor going down the road. Only thing I cannot predict or detect is a catastrophic failure.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
I hope that works for you. I had a tpms also and it was of no use for stopping the damage caused by the treadcap. It went off right after I stopped, kinda funny in an ironic way! Like the tire was mocking me.
Fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:47 PM   #24
DDC

If you follow the ownership of the companies making (China Bombs) as they are described you will find they can be traced back to the few multinational companies that also make the so-called good tires.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:16 PM   #25

If memory serves me, I think that Firestone tires were the ones that Ford was having an issue with. I too have not seen any tires with the Made in America stamp on them. I just don't know what to do with my tires. I have read a lot of threads on this subject and have taken a lot of notes just A LOT of information out there contradicting each other, so for now......concerned.......
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:06 AM   #26
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMattox View Post
If memory serves me, I think that Firestone tires were the ones that Ford was having an issue with. I too have not seen any tires with the Made in America stamp on them. I just don't know what to do with my tires. I have read a lot of threads on this subject and have taken a lot of notes just A LOT of information out there contradicting each other, so for now......concerned.......
Indeed it was Firestone. I do remember there were lawsuits and such and I do believe that the requirement that all new vehicles have a TPMS was borne out of this problem. I also know that Ford redesigned the suspension on the front of the Exploders and no longer used Firestone tires on any new product. Not sure why Ford took it in the shorts for a ****** firestone tire but it is what it is.

I personally would not buy any tire with a name ending in "stone"
Had a Bridgestone tire lose it's tread on me 30 years ago and soon after a friend lost his tread on a firestone, swore off all bridgestone/firestone tires then and have never gone back.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:11 AM   #27
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Further consensus is get Trailer tires not Light Truck Tires.
Is that the consensus? Now that more mfgs are supplying LT tires on FWs and pretty much all cargo/flatbed/car hauler trailers are using LT tires I think the consensus is shifting rapidly. Add the china tire bomb factor in and it is no longer IF, it is WHEN.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:32 AM   #28

SO true. Not an IF, but a WHEN.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:40 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivealive View Post
So far Carlisle STs are doing OK on the forums, with some owners reporting as many as 5000 miles. I bought a set and am hoping for the best. Marathon owners have a mixed result according to their comments.
I am 6 months in and over 4000 miles on my Carlisle ST's with zero problems, and they look brand new. I had them installed the day I bought my Rockwood, and balanced as well. I am a satisfied customer.

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
Indeed it was Firestone. I do remember there were lawsuits and such and I do believe that the requirement that all new vehicles have a TPMS was borne out of this problem. I also know that Ford redesigned the suspension on the front of the Exploders and no longer used Firestone tires on any new product. Not sure why Ford took it in the shorts for a ****** firestone tire but it is what it is.

I personally would not buy any tire with a name ending in "stone"
Had a Bridgestone tire lose it's tread on me 30 years ago and soon after a friend lost his tread on a firestone, swore off all bridgestone/firestone tires then and have never gone back.
I own a second generation Exlporer (my TV) and other than the free Good Year's Ford used to replace my OE Firestone's I have been using the Firestone Destination LE on it and my pick up truck with great results. The Good Year's were some of the worst tires I have every had on a vehicle. Not only were they noisy but their life was nowhere near what I've gotten on Firestone of Michelin.

Part of the tire problem was the result of Ford not using the recommended tire and using lower than recommended inflation pressures for the tire in order to improve the ride. This was the heyday of the truck based SUV but many of the people that bought them complained that the ride was like a truck (I wonder why). The result was Ford did what it could without redesigning the vehicle to make the ride feel smoother. Many folks also didn't understand how to handle a higher center of gravity vehicle which resulted in role overs and a lawsuit caused redesign in 2002. In the end it was the beginning of the midsize SUV becoming a car as opposed to a multi-occupant truck much to my chagrin.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiigDaddy View Post
I am 6 months in and over 4000 miles on my Carlisle ST's with zero problems, and they look brand new. I had them installed the day I bought my Rockwood, and balanced as well. I am a satisfied customer.
I wish I had that insight. I did ask the salesperson about swapping tires and was told they didn't do that. I decided to go 2 years max with the oem tires and didn't make it.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
Part of the tire problem was the result of Ford not using the recommended tire and using lower than recommended inflation pressures for the tire in order to improve the ride.
X2! I had the Firestone Wilderness AT's on my Ranger. They were great tires and also had good tread life. I only replaced them because Ford offered money, enough to partially put new wheels on too. I ended up upgrading to a larger tire and wheel. I have also owned the Firestone Destination M/T's, also a great tire. I don't believe Firestone was at fault. Under inflate any tire too far for too long with too much load and problems will arise.
rsscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:16 AM   #33

Upgraded to Carlisle D load range from Trail Express C load range tires beginning of season this year. The Trail Express tires showed signs of cracking on the side walls and constantly leaking. To answer the question if Carlisle are made in China, the answer is yes. I also installed a Dill TPMS system. Very happy so far with the Carlisle's.
cobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #34

Love my carlisle's. Never had a problem

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrickim63 View Post
Love my carlisle's. Never had a problem
I had great luck with my Carlisles as well. They lasted 9 years with no problems. I should not have pushed them that far and will never do that again after learning from everyone here that tires should be replaced sooner. I plan on 5 years max now.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:27 AM   #36

Forest River should offer a wheel and tire upgrade. I would have gladly paid the difference for a good tire vs the junk that came on our RV.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #37
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
I had great luck with my Carlisles as well. They lasted 9 years with no problems. I should not have pushed them that far and will never do that again after learning from everyone here that tires should be replaced sooner. I plan on 5 years max now.
I had read that Wildcat was offering wheel and/or tire upgrades to non-china bombs and that CC was offering LT tires on it's 5W. These are baby steps but at least stepping in the right direction.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by presley01 View Post
Forest River should offer a wheel and tire upgrade. I would have gladly paid the difference for a good tire vs the junk that came on our RV.
X2 I would have done it even if the dealer made it an option.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:53 AM   #39

Has anyone tried Costco's Greenball trailer tires. I have had good luck with my other tire purchases from Costco.
beechjet16mf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechjet16mf View Post
Has anyone tried Costco's Greenball trailer tires. I have had good luck with my other tire purchases from Costco.
Discount tire sold Greenballs at one time, but dropped the brand. Costco appears to have an exact match load rating policy. They also want wheel torque documentation from the trailer manufacturer.

Tags
tire, tires