Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2014, 12:11 PM   #1

CO Detector Beeping

We purchased a 2015 Rockwood Roo 23ikss a month ago. The CO detector starting alarming/beeping and we are trying to figure out why. We had one gas tank turned on while my husband used the portable gas grill. The CO started beeping when my husband was at the end of grilling. We shut the gas off and still beeping. We opened all windows and fans, still beeping. We then shut off all power and turned back on. The beeping stopped, but then about 10 min. later started again. Since this was our first trip out, we started packing up to leave and about 10 min. later it quit beeping. We decided to still go home as I didn't want to take a chance as there being a leak with my girls in camper.

HELP!!! Why would a brand new camper have a leak?? Or was it from the portable grill??
huskrz74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:14 PM   #2

Could just be your battery is low.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
Could just be your battery is low.
X2, since the detector operates off of the trailers 12 volt battery, that could have been the problem. If you have the SAFE-T-ALERT detector, this may help:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...?do=file&id=57

VISUAL AND AUDIBLE ALARM SIGNALS

This SAFE-T-ALERTTM CO / Propane Gas Alarm is designed to be easy to-operate. The alarm has two indicator lights that display a specific color
for each monitored condition. There also is a matching sound pattern for alarm conditions.

CO ALARM
The Red CO LED will flash and the alarm will sound 4 “BEEPS” then silent for 5 Seconds. These signals indicates that the CO level is over 35
ppm. IMMEDIATE ACTION IS REQUIRED. See Procedures To Take During An Alarm. This cycle will continue until the TEST/Mute button on
the front of alarm is pressed. Ventilate the RV. The RED light will stay ON until the CO has cleared, or the alarm will reactivate in approximately 6 minutes if the CO is still present. DO NOT RE-ENTER THE RV. This alarm will return to normal operation after the RV s properly ventilated.

PROPANE GAS ALARM

The Red LED will Flash and the alarm will sound a steady tone whenever a dangerous level of propane or methane gas is detected. IMMEDIATE
ACTION IS REQUIRED. See Procedures Take During A Gas Alarm. The detector will continue to alarm until the Test/Mute switch on the front
of the alarm is pressed. Ventilate the RV. The RED Gas LED will continue to flash until the gas has cleared, or the gas alarm will reactivate in
approximately 5 minutes if the gas is still present. DO NOT RE-ENTER THE RV. This alarm will return to normal operation after the RV s properly
ventilated.

MALFUNCTION/SERVICE SIGNAL

If any malfunction is detected, the
Gas LED will remain off and the Operational/CO LED will alternate Red/Green and the alarm will sound once every 15 seconds. Press the
Test/Mute button. If the Test/Mute button does not clear the signals, check the battery voltage. If the battery voltage is not low and the unit will not return to normal operation, immediately remove the alarm and return for service or warranty replacement. See the warranty section in this manual.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:41 PM   #4

The beeping stopped and when it was beeping it was one loud chirp with the green/red light flashing. We have the camper hooked up and on this morning and no beeping.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:44 PM   #5

there was never any 4 beeps, like you said for the CO. There was never a constant red light like for propane. It it is a glitch/malfunction, does it correct itself as it isn't doing anything anymore.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:47 PM   #6

Great! Would have hated to see your trip ruined over a low battery or a faulty sensor.

~Cheers
Old 08-31-2014, 01:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskrz74 View Post
does it correct itself as it isn't doing anything anymore.
Not if it's faulty, but if it was a low battery situation, then it will stop beeping once the voltage is brought back up.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:37 PM   #8

Happened to me first time we used heater...assume burned off plastic chemicals or whatever. Nothing since
rrjdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:55 PM   #9
23ss ROOster

We had our's go off 5x during the night. It was the steady beep. Not sure if I had a propane leak or what? No smell of propane. The next day I removed the battery from the fire alarm. That night no beeps. Both nights had furnace turned on at lowest temp of 55 degrees. Battery power may have been low on first night, not sure, since it was first night.

2012 23SS ROO
2014 Ford 4x4 F150 XLT 302A, screw, Ecoboost, 3.73, max tow, off road pkg., 36 gal tank, Ruby Red, tailgate step, Linex spray in, Truxedo bed cover, 30% front tint, Viper remote start, 1000 lbs WDH
Wags2237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:17 PM   #10
NELA

Our co alarm went on three trips ago when I started the water running to get all the air out of the lines, specifically when I ran the hot water.

We had *just* set up. My guess is that there were particulates in the air, and since I was at the island sink in the kitchen, with co detector near the floor *very* close to it, the detector picked up the particulates.

Since we run our fridge on propane while in transit, it could have gone off when the fridge switched from propane to shore power.

Hasn't gone off again. (shrug)

Got a dog you camp with? I've also read here that a pet walking by with (ahem) flatulence issues will set them off.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote