Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #1

Cold Temperature Use

I've got a 2703ws and planning to go to Nevada for the winter. The place I'm going (Fallon) does get some freezing weather but overall has very easy winters. I'm wondering how cold tolerant my unit is with the full underbelly cover. Will I still need to skirt it or put hay bales around it?

If this has been discussed, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
wyoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #2

I have spent many winters in Nevada and Utah in an rv, you won't have any issues as long as you run your furnace for heat and not electric heaters. Running the furnace dumps some heat into areas below the floor. I never used skirting or bales.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #3

I would look into a heated hose for water, they are little priciest but worth it during a long cold spell. I use to disconnect the water hose and store it in the belly and use the pump at night. next time I buy a heated water hose. ......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
Playtime III

Not familiar with 2703s... The furnace will consume propane quickly so you may want 2-30lb tanks or an Extended Stay connected to a larger tank. Heated tanks are a nice option as well.
800 wd/dual cam sc
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #5

Back on this subject

Can anyone tell me if the pipes are wrapped or if there is a layer of insullation covered by the belly wrap? I'll probably have to get a heated water line but Fallon does get some cold weather, it just doesn't keep much snow on the ground, when it does get snow.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoman View Post
Can anyone tell me if the pipes are wrapped or if there is a layer of insullation covered by the belly wrap? I'll probably have to get a heated water line but Fallon does get some cold weather, it just doesn't keep much snow on the ground, when it does get snow.

I would say no, there is no heavy insulation and the pipes are not wrapped. It is very easy to see by taking out one or two bolts on the bottom side of the cover and pull it down a little. The heat duct piping is very thin walled and you will loose some heat from them into the underside of the unit. There is a thin bead of calking along the rail and under cover. replace that when you put the screws back in.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #7

Insullation Factor

The specs for the unit (2703WS) say it has R12 in the floors. That's why I asked about pipes being insullated or maybe just a layer of insullation above the belly wrap. I guess I'll open up a place and take a look, like you suggest.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoman View Post
The specs for the unit (2703WS) say it has R12 in the floors. That's why I asked about pipes being insullated or maybe just a layer of insullation above the belly wrap. I guess I'll open up a place and take a look, like you suggest.
It may say that the floors are R12, but the pipes are between the floor and the 'belly wrap'.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
It may say that the floors are R12, but the pipes are between the floor and the 'belly wrap'.
If you got the ARCTIC package, you will have 12v heaters on the tank and the elbows of the drain. Plus you should have a duct in the basement. The tanks will heat to 65 degrees with the elbows. I live in Virginia and do not even winterize with no problems at all, but I have the Arctic package on my unit.........When it drops to freezeing I disconnect the water hose and just use my pump. I haven't had a problem yet. I do insulate the out door shower area door.......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
Paul & Sheri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime III View Post
Not familiar with 2703s... The furnace will consume propane quickly so you may want 2-30lb tanks or an Extended Stay connected to a larger tank. Heated tanks are a nice option as well.
For a point of reference: In upstate New York last Memorial Day, day and night it was between 40 and 45 degrees for the 5 days we camped. I went through 40# of propane. The R7 insulation is not made for real cold weather and two 30's won't last but a week.
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote