Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2016, 11:03 AM   #1

comparable manufacturers?

All, we own a Shamrock 21DK hybrid and are in the early stages of evaluating our options to upgrade to a "couples" trailer. We came to Forest River as a result of liking the layout of the trailer we chose and learning of the good reputation of the Rockwood/Shamrock brand.

That said, we're not married to any particular manufacturer or brand. I assume some have better quality control than others and that each manufacturer has different levels of quality and finish in different brand lines.

With that in mind, and considering that we like the layout of Rockwood's 2304KS and 2507S in the Mini-Lite line, can anyone recommend other brands that have comparable quality, standard features, and options?

Thanks in advance.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:35 AM   #2

We love our 2304ks. We had a KZ for 6 months and it was way inferior construction. jayco seem pretty good and Winnebago in the 25 foot and under trailers. After looking for months we decided Rockwood was the best. They can ALL have problems.
rcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:08 AM   #3

The floor plan and specs for the Wildwood 232RBXL is attractive but the included items list seems rather light. Am I correct in my impression that I'd have to choose a lot of options to make it comparable to the standard features in a Shamrock/Rockwood? It may still be cheaper, or maybe a wash, to take that approach.

Thanks

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:56 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
The floor plan and specs for the Wildwood 232RBXL is attractive but the included items list seems rather light. Am I correct in my impression that I'd have to choose a lot of options to make it comparable to the standard features in a Shamrock/Rockwood? It may still be cheaper, or maybe a wash, to take that approach.

Thanks
The Wildwood is an entry level stick and tin TTs.
The Rockwood/Flagstaff are aluminum frame filon- sided TTS, which are a higher level line.
They come with standard features that would be options or unavailable on the Wildwood.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:17 AM   #5
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
All, we own a Shamrock 21DK hybrid and are in the early stages of evaluating our options to upgrade to a "couples" trailer. We came to Forest River as a result of liking the layout of the trailer we chose and learning of the good reputation of the Rockwood/Shamrock brand.

That said, we're not married to any particular manufacturer or brand. I assume some have better quality control than others and that each manufacturer has different levels of quality and finish in different brand lines.

With that in mind, and considering that we like the layout of Rockwood's 2304KS and 2507S in the Mini-Lite line, can anyone recommend other brands that have comparable quality, standard features, and options?

Thanks in advance.
Here are my "rules" for buying...
  1. Pick your floor plan
  2. Pick the build (material) quality and options that you want
  3. Pick a GOOD dealer that you can work with, you will need them for warranty work!
  4. Leave the emotions at home when shopping, this is a business transaction
  5. Do a thorough PDI before signing on the dotted line, don't be afraid to walk away from a unit if the issues are excessive
  6. Make sure everything is fixed before you leave the dealer
  7. Go camping!

If you notice I didn't mention brand or manufacturer. They all have good days and bad days. Some seem to have more bad days that good days. I have looked at two nearly identical units on the the same dealer's lot and could not believe that they had rolled off the same assembly line 11 days a apart. One was put together well and everything seemed to work, the other looked like a kindergarten (apologies to the kindergartners) project. BTW the units I was looking at were supposedly "higher end" units with an MSRP of over $70k. I have seen the same thing at the lower price points too.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote