Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2016, 01:53 AM   #1

Confused (black water flush)

Hi Folks,
This is my first attempt so please be patient.
I have a problem that may be my own fault, but I need confirmation.
While flushing out my black water tank, water ended up coming out of the vent under my kitchen sink. My Unit is a 2016 Rockwood ultra Lite with the diomond pkg. I have the sewage hard plumbed on a fixed site. Could the water pressure have been too high? or could it be that I had the Galley valve open while the automatic flush out was running for about 20 min.?

Thank You in advance for any help.
Ron M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:23 AM   #2

Hello Ron,

Which model Rockwood Ultra Lite do you have? Did you have the valve on your black water tank closed while trying to flush it? It could be that you may an issue with the way your unit was plumbed at the factory.

I have a 2016 Rockwood 2506S Ultra Lite and I also have it hard plumbed on a fixed site, I quickly realized that the black water tank on the control panel reads empty because it was actually wired to the gray tank at the factory, I always have both valves for the gray tanks open although on my unit it has a sticker that says the valve on the gray water tank from the kitchen should be closed to prevent sewage gasses.

I have had many travel trailers through the years and one thing I know for sure is that you never know how things are done at the factory.

I would contact Forest River customer service and explained what happen, they should be able to tell you exactly how your unit was plumbed.

Good luck.
BirdmanII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:30 AM   #3

Hard plumbed or not- none of your valves should be open, especially the black water tank. Now if your doing what you said, yes, your black water valve should definitely be open, but not the grey. When you are done, close your black water valve and your grey water valve(s). You don't leave any valves open. You don't want to empty your tanks unless they are close to being full. You empty the black water first, then close that valve. THEN you open your grey water, and that flushes any residual black water out.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #4

That could be, because I left the kitchen grey valve open while flushing the black water tank.
Ron M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:01 AM   #5

So help me understand. We leave our grey open and black closed when at camp ground. When black starts getting full we close grey off till full then release black then grey then close off black again. Is that wrong?
countryluvengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:07 AM   #6

Keeping the grey tank open is ok. You want to keep the black tank close till at least 3/4 full. To the OP it sounds like you have a defective back flow valve or it was not installed correct I would take it back to the dealer and get it fixed.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryluvengal View Post
So help me understand. We leave our grey open and black closed when at camp ground. When black starts getting full we close grey off till full then release black then grey then close off black again. Is that wrong?
No its fine, but we keep all tanks closed till dumping due to possible sewer gas or critters coming up through the grey tanks. Either way will work.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:01 AM   #8

Good rule of thumb, keep all valves closed until time to empty. Leaving your Grey open will allow sewer gnats and other bugs to come up the sewer hose and into the RV. They seem to be able to swim through the water. If you get them, use some PineSol in your tanks to kill them.

As for your leak, it may have been from the pop-off valve if you used the flush sprayer with your black tank valve closed.
Louisiana before, fulltiming since April 11, 2014
blog--- www.gozatravels.blogspot.com
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:55 AM   #9
Sunseeker 3010DS

Others have already covered this, I have owned rv's for about 30 years.
1) Never leave any discharge valves open until you want to drain them. One at a time, Black first then gray.
2) Don't drain tanks unless at least 1/2 full 3/4 would be better.
3) Flushing black water tank should be done with the valve closed until at least 3/4 full, this will require some close monitoring. Watch your tank monitor and peek down the toilet to make sure your monitor is correct.

I flush my black water tank at least twice each time I drain it and some times more. I have a clear section I add to the discharge hose so I can see when the water is clear.

Never!! leave any valves open for all of the reasons mentioned in earlier posts hard plumed or not!!
slamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:56 PM   #10

Actually, you should keep both valves closed. That way, when you empty your black tank, you then have grey water to rinse out the line with.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamac View Post
1) Never leave any discharge valves open until you want to drain them. One at a time, Black first then gray.
3) Flushing black water tank should be done with the valve closed until at least 3/4 full, this will require some close monitoring. Watch your tank monitor and peek down the toilet to make sure your monitor is correct.

I flush my black water tank at least twice each time I drain it and some times more. I have a clear section I add to the discharge hose so I can see when the water is clear.

Never!! leave any valves open for all of the reasons mentioned in earlier posts hard plumed or not!!
Follow these rules, and you'll have no problems. Just don't walk away when you're rinsing the black tank.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:36 PM   #12
KnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamac View Post

Follow those easy steps.

Let me add, if you have a flush port to hook a fresh water hose, go for it while is draning too. Do not leave any dump valves open, not only create critter problem, the water will have enough force to flush out any solids. Sucks to have a crudded up black water tank.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:59 PM   #13

You have a black flush valve that they put in, It is the law. Mine is behind my shower wall, others are under the bathroom sink and some are under the kitchen sink, It sounds like yours is there has nothing to do with leaving the gray water valve open when you rinse, look for a plain white hose ( not plex) hooked to a valve in and out of it, they could have left the fitting lose or it's pretty common for them to be hooked up backwards or not tighten down.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, black, water