Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2017, 09:50 PM   #1

Considering Wrapping TT

You know when you have an idea to do something and it eats at you alllll the time? Like an itch that you need to scratch?

Well....I've been thinking about wrapping my 2306 in gloss metallic black with possibly doing some silver/grey accents swooshes or some small pieces of West Coast Native art like a whale, fish, eagle.

I popped into a print/wrap shop today to get a quote and it seems reasonable compared to some shops that were saying double (+) of what they quoted. Price includes removal of existing decals, wash & prep and installation of new vinyl. 7 year material guarantee.

Since I have a black TV, I think it would look awesome together.

Now some of you will say "you know that will cause your TT to cook and be hot in the summer" well...I'm not going to be visiting AZ/FL or parking in deserts. Highest temps I can expect are 35'c or 95'c. There are plenty of diesel pushers that are black, I'm sure they don't cook more than other dark colored rigs. Having a 6 sided laminated TT with good insulation shouldn't make a difference.

When/if it comes time to sell it, I can remove the wrap and they will have a pristine paint job underneath without decals.

During the winter it will be covered.

Have any of you done this?
Anything I should be concerned about that might have slipped my mind?

Here is a pic of something that it might resemble. For illustrative use only.

Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Nurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:06 PM   #2

It will be different keep us posted
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:10 PM   #3

Go for it, they Wrap everything else! They can do more than Most "Full Body Paint Jobs"! Youroo!!
Old 03-27-2017, 10:33 PM   #4

That picture illustration seems like a lot of trailer to be pulled by an SUV. I know it's not yours just caught my eye.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
That picture illustration seems like a lot of trailer to be pulled by an SUV. I know it's not yours just caught my eye.
The watermarked company is Australian based. All the access points and awning are opposite to what North America is.

Here is the back story on that TT.
__________________________________________________ ___
Unlike cars, black is an unusual exterior colour choice for caravans. It’s harder to keep clean, shows scuffs and scratches more than lighter colours, and unlike traditional white caravans has a tendency to absorb rather than reflect heat – not ideal when travelling in summer.

But that hasn’t stopped Melbourne funeral director and president of the recently-formed New Age Caravans Owners Club, Bryan Crow, from ordering a unique, all-black exterior for his latest caravan.

According to Crow, his New Age 22ft Oz Classic Slider model is the first, and possibly last, New Age caravan to feature gloss black Alucobond exterior panels, although New Age has been displaying a silver/grey Alucobond clad ‘prototype’ caravan at recent shows.

Although Alucobond panels are specifically designed for commercial applications such as exterior signage and building fascias, Crow was keen to try the jet-black aluminium composite panels in an RV application due to their “wow factor”.

“I’m a person who likes to do things with a wow factor,” he said. “If I do something I want to do it so it’s noticeable in one way or another.”

Available in a range of colours and patterns, Alucobond features a “factory applied coil coated PVDF paint finish” described as “weather-resistant, unbreakable, shock-resistant, vibration absorbent and easy to install". However, Crow admitted it was still a “gamble” as they are yet to be proven in the RV industry.
“The concern is will it discolour,” he said, though admitting similar panels used outside the Melbourne funeral home where he works as well as his sister’s florist shop, have held up well over a number of years.

One drawback is that the deep gloss finish does scratch easily (it’s supplied with a protective, peel-off foil) and Crow has already applied several costs of wax to help preserve the mirror-like finish.
“It scratches, especially if you polish and rub it with a rag, it will leave marks. It’s something I’ve learnt that I’ve got to be pretty careful with,” he explained.

Some stick-on silver and grey decals have also been added to the side panels of Crow’s caravan, despite the Alucobond manufacturer warning that “the panel surfaces must not be marked using ink (marker), adhesive tapes or stickers, as the lacquered surfaces could be damaged by solvents or plasticisers”.
Adding to the cost and time to build his unique van, the rest of the exterior has been ‘blacked out’, apart from a couple of items like the white reversing camera at the rear.

“They spent a lot of time sending stuff away to be powdercoated or treated to change everything outside that would normally be white, like the hot water service and gas vents for the fridge. Even the awning has been rolled on in reverse to make it black."
The interior colour scheme is a more conventional 'New Age' grey, silver and black, albeit brightened up with fluoro orange and yellow towels, throw-overs and a multi-coloured bedspread.
“(New Age) said to me our preference is probably not to build another one in that black, because I watched it being built and I saw the time they spent on it and it was just phenomenal,” he said.

Any future repairs could also pose problems.

“If anything happens dramatically I will probably be vinyl wrapping it,” he said. “We haven’t looked into that scenario yet, but that’s the risk I’m taking…”
The so-called ‘Midnight Jewel’ caravan made its public debut at the inaugural New Age Owners Club get-together in Victoria recently. It was also set to be the star of the New Age stand at this week’s Melbourne Leisurefest, but a lack of space caused a late withdrawal.
Like the Dibond panels made by the same European manufacturer and used on some Melbourne-built Roadstar caravans , the Alucobond panels add considerably to the caravan’s weight, pushing the ATM in this case to 3500kg.

However, Crow says his white, twin turbo V8 powered Volkswagen Touareg tow vehicle, handles the extra bulk with ease.
“Like the caravan the Touareg just turns everyone’s head because I just connect it up. I don’t use weight distribution hitches or anything because it’s got air suspension,” he said.

“The Touareg is such an under-rated tow vehicle. I towed it up to Port Stephens and got 19.1L/100km with cruise control. It’s a brilliant thing for towing, it has so much grunt and you don’t even know it’s on the back.”

__________________________________________________ __________
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Old 03-28-2017, 07:44 AM   #6

Looks nice, but also HOT HOT in the summertime. AC will be working overtime.
bkool2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:49 AM   #7
Insert witty title here

I really hope you have a good AC. That black exterior will really trap the summer's heat.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:52 AM   #8
(Dry Huunday)

Interesting idea for sure! Cool thing is, if you get tired of it you can remove or redo it!!

Good luck and keep us up to date on your plans and progress!!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:01 AM   #9

Adding a wrap is a great idea and something that the factory should be doing with all the faded front caps that we read about here.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:24 AM   #10

Let us know. I for one, would be interested in it. Like DreiHunde (three dogs) said, if you get tired of it, you can always change it. For sure give us a ballpark on what it cost, how it looks (pictures), and over time how it lasts.

I can't believe you couldn't get away from the weight police, even in this thread!

Good Luck!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:28 AM   #11
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
Let us know. I for one, would be interested in it. Like DreiHunde (three dogs) said, if you get tired of it, you can always change it. For sure give us a ballpark on what it cost, how it looks (pictures), and over time how it lasts.

I can't believe you couldn't get away from the weight police, even in this thread!

Good Luck!
I've re-read the thread 3 times and I can't find the weight comment you are referring to.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:34 AM   #12
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I've re-read the thread 3 times and I can't find the weight comment you are referring to.
I think that is in reference to Post #4 where a comment was made about the SUV & Camper in the picture.....but I could be wrong!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 03-28-2017, 09:01 AM   #13

We don' need no stinkin' WDH...
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkool2323 View Post
Looks nice, but also HOT HOT in the summertime. AC will be working overtime.
I live in Canada and it's not like Arizona. I doubt it will be "hot hot" if the 2306 insulation is as good as they claim. Plus we have loads of trees in campgrounds, not barren landscapes. I think you really didn't read my post and just commented on the photo you saw.

Plus with almost 90% of Class A MH's painted black/grey for decades, I seriously doubt that black would cause that much of a problem because if it would, they would all be white.
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Old 03-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post

Good Luck!
Those pics are for illustrative purposes and NOT my 2306. My rig is in my avatar and signature description.

Did you even read what I wrote originally? That trailer had aluminum panels added to that unit. A wrap is not going to add significant weight.
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Old 03-28-2017, 10:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurek View Post
Those pics are for illustrative purposes and NOT my 2306. My rig is in my avatar and signature description.

Did you even read what I wrote originally? That trailer had aluminum panels added to that unit. A wrap is not going to add significant weight.
Lol.... they were talking about the rig in the pic being over weight(by looks). Remember... it takes a 1T to pull anything over 5000# GVW
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Lol.... they were talking about the rig in the pic being over weight(by looks). Remember... it takes a 1T to pull anything over 5000# GVW
The Touareg has a towing cap of 7700# fyi.

Why is everyone getting worked up about the photo??? It's NOT mine!!!
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Old 03-28-2017, 11:07 AM   #18
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurek View Post
The Touareg has a towing cap of 7700# fyi.

Why is everyone getting worked up about the photo??? It's NOT mine!!!
Slow, cold, snowy, rainy day and they are bored????

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 03-28-2017, 11:15 AM   #19

The weight police never rest... just like the real police...
It is kinda comical in a way, but sometimes annoying. One thing for sure...most are just trying to promote safety.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #20

What they do down under should stay down under! LOL