Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #1

Converter Questions

Can some one tell me where the converter is physically located? I have a model 8286 (bunk room model) but thinking converters are all in similar physical location in the 8200 fifth well series.
Also, anyone with experience on how to turn off converter when using inverter. For example, do I need to install a on/off switch for the converter? Anyone got experience with this? Thanks for any info and advice!

IT'S GREAT TO BE ALIVE!
Bob & Marie
Rockwood 8286WS "Bunker"
Ford F-250XLT 2WD 6.4LD
TopTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTiger View Post
Can some one tell me where the converter is physically located? I have a model 8286 (bunk room model) but thinking converters are all in similar physical location in the 8200 fifth well series.
Also, anyone with experience on how to turn off converter when using inverter. For example, do I need to install a on/off switch for the converter? Anyone got experience with this? Thanks for any info and advice!
looks like this and is often near the fridge:

did you install an inverter? they aren't a factory item.
and why would you want to turn the converter off?
you should be able to just turn off the converter's breaker.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:09 PM   #3

So, the converter is part of the breaker panel? Picture in product literature which came with RV shows a box that looks different and is separate from panel. Is converter the bottom portion of the breaker box?
Dealer installing 300W inverter Tuesday. I was told just turning off main breaker may not turn off converter connection to batteries thus continuing to try and charge batteries while inverter is in use. I am not knowledgeable about this so hoping someone is.

IT'S GREAT TO BE ALIVE!
Bob & Marie
Rockwood 8286WS "Bunker"
Ford F-250XLT 2WD 6.4LD
Old 07-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #4

Why would you NOT want to continue charging batteries while inverter is in use? I would assume your 300 watt small inverter will be used to power specific items. Why not charge the battery (if you can) while using those specific items?
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Unless I'm missing something, the converter only runs when you're plugged into shorepower and if that's the case, why would you be running anything off the inverter which is run off your battery(s).

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #6

The converter converts 110VAC to 12VDC and also acts as as battery charger. If you are going to use an inverter (converts 12VDC to 110VAC) then if you leave the converter on it will charge the batteries as the inverter uses the battery power. Really no reason to turn the converter off.
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
So, the converter is part of the breaker panel?
the converter is behind the breaker/fuse panel.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 07-06-2014, 08:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Unless I'm missing something, the converter only runs when you're plugged into shorepower and if that's the case, why would you be running anything off the inverter which is run off your battery(s).

Dave
Well again...this is a small 300watt inverter which I am guessing is going to be used to power a few things rather than all AC needs. Just leaving them hooked up to the inverter which CAN be turned off and on easily, may be simpler than replugging things into coach outlets. Now here's a couple of other situations:
If the ALTERNATOR charges the battery while you are driving down the road...why would you want to cut it off...since the inverter may be the ONLY source of AC when driving down the road.

If you have solar panels, you'd also want them to charge as you used the inverter.

Boondocking, if you had a generator...you'd want to run it to power the whole coach and charge the batteries while still being able to use the small inverter dedicated to one or two things.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #9

Good questions as to why the converter needs to be turned off, but here is what inverter manufacturer says:
"Turn off converter when using inverter to prevent extra battery drain "
Not sure I understand but trying to figure out how to turn off/disable converter. My setup will be to run shore power cord back to inverter and plug into with 110 pigtail. With three 12v batteries I hope to be able to operate TV, computers, microwave, etc. when dry docking overnight when on the road.
Batteries stay fully charged with two 100watt solar panels when in dry storage.

IT'S GREAT TO BE ALIVE!
Bob & Marie
Rockwood 8286WS "Bunker"
Ford F-250XLT 2WD 6.4LD
Old 07-06-2014, 08:44 PM   #10
Site Team

i installed a 400w inverter and wired it straight to my two 12v batteries.
use it for the same thing, tv/dvd/charging electronic devices.

i've NEVER turned off my converter because it only works on shore power.
no need to turn it off when i'm dry camping, which is why i need an inverter.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Good questions as to why the converter needs to be turned off, but here is what inverter manufacturer says:
"Turn off converter when using inverter to prevent extra battery drain "
Not sure I understand but trying to figure out how to turn off/disable converter. My setup will be to run shore power cord back to inverter and plug into with 110 pigtail. With three 12v batteries I hope to be able to operate TV, computers, microwave, etc. when dry docking overnight when on the road.
Batteries stay fully charged with two 100watt solar panels when in dry storage.
You're expecting to run a microwave off a 300watt inverter?
Not possible...was that a typo?

What brand/model inverter is being installed.
If you do want to turn the converter off...the breakers above should do it but unless I'm missing something major, I don't think there should be an issue with leaving it on.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:30 PM   #12
Jack of All Trades

Per the OP last post, he is going to plug his shore power cord into the inverter, so all AC devices will be powered, including the converter. If converter is connected, it will load the inverter trying to charge the battery. This will not work as the losses in the inverter will just pull the batteries down.

A 300 watt inverter isn't going to operate very much - a few cell phone chargers, maybe a computer, possibly a TV by its self. It won't operate a microwave (they generally need 1200 to 1500 watts), and definitely not the converter. And, unless it is a true sine wave inverter (vs. modified sine wave inverter) it could cause problems with some electronics.

Shut off the breaker to the converter before turning on the inverter, that should be sufficient.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHuser View Post
Per the OP last post, he is going to plug his shore power cord into the inverter, so all AC devices will be powered, including the converter. If converter is connected, it will load the inverter trying to charge the battery. This will not work as the losses in the inverter will just pull the batteries down.

Rick
Yep... absolutely right and not a good plan with a 300w inverter. Coffee pots & hairdryers & microwaves etc. ...less than 25 amps @12V capable,
Old 07-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i installed a 400w inverter and wired it straight to my two 12v batteries.
use it for the same thing, tv/dvd/charging electronic devices.

i've NEVER turned off my converter because it only works on shore power.
no need to turn it off when i'm dry camping, which is why i need an inverter.
Right. As long as the converter is not wired to run off of the inverter. If someone wasn't watching how it was installed, that could happen.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:03 PM   #15

Sorry guys, my bad. It is a 600watt inverter. You are right.... Not enough for microwave. It is a true sine wave so should be okay for TV and chargers. I think turning of Master breaker will turn off converter but AC outlets will still have power. Any comments are welcomed.

IT'S GREAT TO BE ALIVE!
Bob & Marie
Rockwood 8286WS "Bunker"
Ford F-250XLT 2WD 6.4LD
Old 07-06-2014, 10:15 PM   #16

If you plan on plugging in your master power cable to the inverter then shutting off the coach master AC breaker will stop that from working just as if you plugged it into a power pedestal and then turned off the breaker.
I'd focus on the breaker or the fuse for the CONVERTER only.

600 watts is a helluva lot better than 300...but still won't work a lot of the real power hogs...like the micro, Mr. Coffee or hair dryer, ...pretty much anything with a motor or heating element ought to be spec'd out before trying. It will certainly do your TV and laptop etc. with no problem.
Suggest adding a Victron or Trimetric battery monitor so you can tell what amps are going out...how long you have left at current usage and what % state of charge the batteries are actually at...so you don't kill them prematurely.
Good luck!
Old 07-06-2014, 10:35 PM   #17

Thanks Camaraderie for your input. I looked at the breaker panel and did not see a breaker specifically for converter. No fuse labeled for converter. Find it hard to believe I have to take panel cover off to get to converter to disable. I am not a technician and have little knowledge about electrical systems. Trying to figure out this before unit goes into dealership so I can install a separate switch/breaker to easily turn off converter when inverter is in use while dry docking, thus solving battery drain problem.

IT'S GREAT TO BE ALIVE!
Bob & Marie
Rockwood 8286WS "Bunker"
Ford F-250XLT 2WD 6.4LD
Old 07-06-2014, 11:22 PM   #18

It might be possible to get the same result by turning off a battery disconnect switch if one is present. That should prevent the converter from trying to charge the batteries. I may be wrong with that though if the batteries are wired directly to the charging system, but I don't know why they would be.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:32 PM   #19

Assuming that the picture BikenDan posted above is close to looking like what YOU have, then the bad news is that your converter is wired into your master switch breaker and so you will need the dealer to install a separate switch in line to turn the converter off. There are 3 wires....white, green and black as you look at your converter from the back side. These are the AC wires that run from your converter unit on the bottom, to the AC power grid on the top. (Just FYI, the two wires on the other side are the ones that go to charge your batteries. )
The black one is the one that runs to the main AC breaker...white goes to the neutral terminal strip up top and green goes to the ground strip on the left as you look at it from the rear. Dealer should be able to rig an AC breaker /switch that can handle 30 amps of current and allow you to run the main power while turning off the converter.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:51 PM   #20

Thanks again Camaraderie!
I think you are very close to describing the solution. I'll know more when I talk with dealer on Tuesday. Not happy there isn't an easy way to isolate and disable converter. So looks like I will have to create a solution. That will cost me for sure. Wish Forest River put separate breaker in control panel for converter in this product line. Maybe they do in more expensive line. Would make things much simpler for those wanting to boondock or overnight dry dock.

IT'S GREAT TO BE ALIVE!
Bob & Marie
Rockwood 8286WS "Bunker"
Ford F-250XLT 2WD 6.4LD

Tags
converter