Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #1

Crider in my tt

I have a 2011 rockwood 2304s and i keep it in a rv shelter with tarps on the ground.Today i went in the tt to get something and when i opened the bottom draw i noticed a semi chewed up deck of cards so i started looking around and found a chewed wire in the bathroom and numerous little turds 3\8 to 1\2 inch in length no critters or nests.Maybe a mouse or rat,well i got a couple of sticky traps and put them in the tt.How do you keep the mice or rats out i never had this problem before .I found a couple spots where they can come up from the under belly that i will fill with foam .
4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Always a big topic and you will find lots of posts from people using mint oil, bounce sheets, poisons, various traps inside and outside, etc.

I am trying mint oil this year. So far so good but I need to check it again. Checked a few weeks ago and no mouse scat so far and I have it parked in a field on our property.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I bait the little boogers with D-Con before they get in. I have a coffee can with the lid notched out between my trailer tires, with D-Con in the cans. I turn the lid in so rain won't get in. The idea is that mice will find the D-Con and have a feast before they even get into the camper.

The only other way for mice to get into the camper is the tongue jack. I grease that puppy hopefully to make it too slick for the mice to climb.

Oh, I also keep my trailer plugged in, but I haven't figure a good way to block that yet, but so far I haven't had a mouse problem.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
camping

like Triguy I am also trying the peppermint oil and so far so good. I check it every two weeks (sometimes I have to wait for the sun to thaw the door so I can open it). after 2 months I still smell the peppermint oil which is so much better than the moth balls I used to use.
I also put an ultra sonic rodent deterrent under the camper, was told to make sure it bounces sound off the bottom of the trailer to work
I put moth balls in Tupperware containers in back of the wheels.
we live next to a corn field so I need to be over cautious.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Just checked the trailer and the mint oil still seems to be working. Checked corners, drawers, under cushions and not a sign of a mouse. The oil was a new one for me this year and I had my doubts. We'll see come spring but so far so good.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #6

I'm trying the Irish Spring soap cut into pieces in little dishes scattered around. We have ours sitting in a blacktop lot next to our house, but I'm still paranoid about critters. Better to be safe than sorry, I always say. No problems yet. I've been out there a few times and haven't noticed anything unusual.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #7

reminds me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I bait the little boogers with D-Con before they get in. I have a coffee can with the lid notched out between my trailer tires, with D-Con in the cans. I turn the lid in so rain won't get in.
yes mtnguy
I have that also going on
heavy flower pots upside down outside trailer
tilted up just enough for rats and mice to get in
with some D-Con
there are a lot of them up here in the mountains
because
they go though that stuff fast
reminds me
I need to check

they can cause some real damage
plus
stink up the place
best to fight them
before they move in

thank you
Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post

Oh, I also keep my trailer plugged in, but I haven't figure a good way to block that yet, but so far I haven't had a mouse problem.
Get a copper (won't rust) scrubby Or steel wool and pack around where cord enters TT. Mice won't chew it or go threw it.
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote