Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2018, 10:25 AM   #1

Curt Trutrac weight distribution hitch and Rockwood minilite

I recently purchased a Curt trutrac wd hich for my rockwood minilite 2109s. Turns out that the design of the curt head unit that holds the ball, contacts the trailer frame when making a tight turn or going over uneven terrain. Anyone else have this problem? Malcolm
malcolmjwhitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:32 AM   #2

could you provide a picture from your description and looking at the curt hitch it sounds like your coupler might have been welded to far back on the frame rails.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:42 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to post a pic after my doctor appointment.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:57 PM   #4

Curt trutrac

Please see photos.[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	bottom view.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	178082[/ATTACH] Any advise?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	side view.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	178081  
Old 07-03-2018, 09:07 AM   #5

Curt TruTrack

Now - I'm curious. I just "retired" my HarborFreight WDH I got for a song 5-years ago for the 1985 Airstream Excella I no longer tow (Guest Suite) and a week ago, bought a Curt 17500 TruTrack. I now also have a WindJammer 3029. Even with it's V nose, I have never jack-knifed into the HF hitch-head and I have the exact same tongue as you welded in the identical position on the frame. I cannot imagine with a flat-nose TT how you were able to contact the hitch-head with the TT frame w/o hitting the truck corner with the trailer??? (Unless you have a 20" Shank that distances the TV from the TT)

I mean my Curt is still in the box with the packing straps intact, so,, do I open it?

This is disconcerting especially when, in the CURT video online (snip below) - they show the SAME exact! tongue as you and I have - so you would not think that they would sell an "interference" type product where frame-bending head impingement is possible. (I circled in red where it appears to be hitting if I had to guess)

I have had some "almost" obtuse angles backing into the piney woods and I don't want to have to worry about my spotter watching yet "another thing" for contact. I wish you had a photo of it hooked up and angled to where it's about to hit......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Curt TruTrack Hitch snip2.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	178138  
Old Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:58 PM   #6

Curt trutrac

Thanks for the response Old Forester. I have a Curt 17499 trutrac, this has a different head design than what is shown in your photo. The 17500 may provide more clearance than the flat plate design of the 17499. I have a 2018 dodge durango, v8 which allows for sharp turns without any tow vehicle/trailer contact. I will hook up my trailer and try to figure out what condition is causing the metal to metal contact and get back to you. Malcolm
Old 07-03-2018, 03:35 PM   #7
Just A Member

You need a Curt 40087 ball. That will solve your problem. You will need to adjust your spring bars accordingly. Everything will be fine.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:54 PM   #8

Curt trutrac

Thank you ckeeling. I may try that after I confirm that the metal to metal contact wasn't caused by a jack knife condition. Malcolm
Old 01-08-2024, 08:40 PM   #9

Ironically, I have the same problem. I have a Curt 17499 distribution hitch and I am towing a 2024 Rockwood mini lite 2513S. I called Curt and they advised me to buy a 40035 Ball. It has a 1 inch rise which should help clear the ears on the coupler. I can’t believe this is even an issue? I’m sure they’ve run into this before but haven’t corrected it?
Suzukisteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 06:10 PM   #10

To my knowledge Curt has not remedied this design flaw. I had to install a 1" raised ball to clear the trailer frame and now I don't have any more trailer to frame problems. Curt should note this requirement in their installation literature.

Tags
hitch, lite, rockwood, weight, weight distribution hitch