Old 08-07-2018, 01:24 PM   #1

Dealer Sales Tactic or Truth? MSRP?

Hey friends. Been loving this forum! We are newbies that haven't purchased yet. Been diving deep into this world for the past few months. Currently we have really loved the floorpans of the Grand Design Imagine 21BHE and Rockwood Mini Lite 2509S, per the recommendations of others, with a big nod toward the Rockwood. Nothing seems to touch that in regards to features, price, size, etc. Though I'm open to other suggestions. Looking for something with bunks and overall size around 25ft so that I can keep this thing parked in our driveway rather than paying for a storage space. I was recommended a dealer is close to us, which sells Jaycos and Grand Designs. However, I am looking for a good Rockwood dealer in our are (Southeastern PA/Philadelphia).

I reached out to a dealer about an hour from us and expressed that I'd like to come and see the Rockwood but that we weren't looking to buy immediately and that our plan was to check out the floor plan and get a feel for the dealership. I think we'd like to save up some more money and purchase/order late fall or early winter. We like the idea of ordering a unit if we can get the right dealership. In the response email on the Rockwood the dealer made this comment:

"PS: Just a heads up. We were just notified that there is going to be a “substantial” price increase in the very near future so it might pay you to order one sooner than later."

Would you believe that? Or is that a sales pressure tactic? Is there a place to get real MSRP's for Rockwoods? Any one have any solid Rockwood dealer recommendations within a few hours from the Philadelphia area?

Thanks!

alexykranjec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Would you believe that? Or is that a sales pressure tactic? Is there a place to get real MSRP's for Rockwoods? Any one have any solid Rockwood dealer recommendations within a few hours from the Philadelphia area?
Price increase... SURE... every year there is a price increase and with the new metal tariffs he is probably not just blowing smoke

personally sharing your ordering/purchase plans with the seller/dealer ahead of time is just TOO MUCH INFO to be giving out... keep your plan to yourself and hear him out then decide to stick with your plan or modify it...

suggested retail price is often hard to come by... comparison shopping on the internet is easy to come up with a realistic street price...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:50 PM   #3

What works best for us is to decide on a specific model (sounds like you have), then do a nation wide search for the cheapest price for that model on a dealers lot. If you order, you will rarely get a great deal on price.

We have bought from dealers over 1000 miles away. With today's technology you have many options for long distance deals. We even did a Skype walk-through.

After you buy, never go back to a dealer for warranty. You will have long wait times and possibly inferior work. We use certified independents for all warranty work and are much happier. Just be sure they get pre-approved for all work.

Good luck!
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Price increase... SURE... every year there is a price increase and with the new metal tariffs he is probably not just blowing smoke

personally sharing your ordering/purchase plans with the seller/dealer ahead of time is just TOO MUCH INFO to be giving out... keep your plan to yourself and hear him out then decide to stick with your plan or modify it...

suggested retail price is often hard to come by... comparison shopping on the internet is easy to come up with a realistic street price...
My thoughts exactly!
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #5

[QUOTE=alexykranjec;1894015]Hey friends. Been loving this forum! We are newbies that haven't purchased yet. Been diving deep into this world for the past few months. Currently we have really loved the floorpans of the Grand Design Imagine 21BHE and Rockwood Mini Lite 2509S, per the recommendations of others, with a big nod toward the Rockwood. Nothing seems to touch that in regards to features, price, size, etc. Though I'm open to other suggestions. Looking for something with bunks and overall size around 25ft so that I can keep this thing parked in our driveway rather than paying for a storage space. I was recommended a dealer is close to us, which sells Jaycos and Grand Designs. However, I am looking for a good Rockwood dealer in our are (Southeastern PA/Philadelphia).

Although west of Philly we bought from Bill’s Happy Camper in Mill Hall, PA. He carries Rockwood Mini Lite models. We drove about 3 hours from Maryland but got a good price at the time and the owner, Bill was a pleasure to work with.
Tigger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexykranjec View Post
I reached out to a dealer about an hour from us and expressed that I'd like to come and see the Rockwood but that we weren't looking to buy immediately and that our plan was to check out the floor plan and get a feel for the dealership. I think we'd like to save up some more money and purchase/order late fall or early winter. We like the idea of ordering a unit if we can get the right dealership. In the response email on the Rockwood the dealer made this comment:

"PS: Just a heads up. We were just notified that there is going to be a “substantial” price increase in the very near future so it might pay you to order one sooner than later."

Thanks!
Could possibly a sales tactic, I don't know if there is a certain time of year the RV industry has price changes. I think most price changes are ongoing as supplier costs increase. Since there is no standard model being built like the automobile industry, price changes are ever changing. As far as a MSRP, it would be difficult to find a match to what you are looking for as there are so many variations of options. Give RV Wholesalers in Ohio a call and ask the owner there if he is expecting a price increase.

Back to price increases, during my working years I was a Regional Sales Manager for a manufacturer of special truck bodies and their price increases were always a surprise to dealers. I asked the GM, why don't you give the dealers a heads up about any price increases so they may use that information to close a sale that may be pending. His answer puzzled me. He said "Oh, we don't want to do that, if we did we would be covered up with orders", I said, "Well we certainly would want that to happen". My question was what was he thinking.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:25 PM   #7
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

From my own personal experience, buying in the fall, especially in your neck of the woods, is a very bad idea.

Sure, you might get year-end specials...but there is more to it than that!

This is the reason why:

It will sit in your driveway or storage space over the winter covered in snow burning up half of your manufacturer's warranty before you can actually take it out to find any problems!

Then, after your first campout and you discover all of the warranty issues it will sit in your dealership's lot for six months waiting to be fixed...sort of!

Buy your new RV at the beginning of your camping season and use it locally a few times before you go on that 10,000 mile vacation around the US of A.

Just because someone has been "doing it for years with no problems" doesn't mean you should!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:07 PM   #8

Do a search for a Flagstaff dealer in your area. Flagstaff and Rockwood campers are identical with the exception of interior colors and exterior decals. Made in the same factory, on the same lines, by the same northern Indiana bearded craftsmen.

There are more Rockwood dealers than Flagstaff, but when we bought our hybrid, we bought a Flagstaff because of the dealer and the deal.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:29 PM   #9
Site Team

Also check RVW or RV Direct, for Rockwood prices, as they are both close to you.
The co-owner of RVW is a member and very involved with customer satisfaction.
Many in your area buy from both.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:39 PM   #10

Expect between 15%-25% off MSRP, we just took purchase of a (special ordered) 2019 Rockwood 2606ws priced at $42,000, I paid $32,500.

From my research, many advantages to the build quality of the Rockwood over other brands.

I did my due diligence before deciding on the Rockwood, the Grand Design was the runner up, what put the Rockwood over the top for me was the Independent Torflex suspension, only Rockwood and Airstream put this system on as standard equipment...Rockwood also includes a WIFI ranger which is a nice touch.

I just got back from our shake-down run of over a week, everything worked perfectly.

Timoteo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer