Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #1

Delamination Question

We just signed the papers to order a new Mini-Lite 2306. We're really excited about it. I have also read posts regarding delamination. I don't know if it's that common or if people who have that issue seem to be the one's who post about it. I guess my questions are:

What causes this delamination?
What percentage of fiberglass trailers will develop this (Forest River, specifically)
What (if anything) can be done to prevent it from happening?

These might not be easy answers but I was just curious if someone could shed some light on this subject for me. Thanks!
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Site Team

My 2011 is starting to show signs of small bubbles in the stickers among some of the panel seams. Don't know if this is true but was told that they usually smooth out during the warmer months. In the near future I will check with FR and see what can be done but in the meantime I'm enjoying my outings.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #3

Delam can be the result of bad glue, improper manufacturing process or probably most common, water.
I haven't seen nearly as many people posting about delam issues the last year or two. Maybe they've made some manufacturing changes in the factories? I don't know, but it doesn't seem to be as much of a problem as it use to.
Keep up proper maintenance on your tt's roof and especially the dicor caulking. Clean and re-caulk where and when neccassary. Some have applied Eternabond Tape over the caulk around vents and the seems.
Proper maintenance will not guarantee your tt will not experience delam, but it will help.
It has always been a small percentage that experience delam anyways, so just keep up your preventive maintenance and enjoy your tt.

Good luck and happy camping.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #4

you are purchasing the same trailer I purchased in March of 2011.

Since your Delam question was answered - I have one suggestion I want to give is once you recieve your trailer - buy two tubes of Dycor Self Leveleing Lap Sealant (about $17.00) and a caulk gun if you do not have one and go over the roof seams and the antenna wire where it comes into the inside of the camper and anywhere pieces are joined together. It will be the best decision and piece of mind against leaks.

Reason why I say this is after I took delivery it rained about a month or so later and some of my DVD's looked like they had water damage to them - I found the Antenna wire was not sealed right and had to go over it with the Lap Sealant. No leaks since.
Ever since I went over the roof with the Lap Sealant I have had Zero Issues.

I would also suggest getting Max Air II Vent's for your tailer as well so you can have the vent's open and have minimal issue's with rain drops as well
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #5

most of the delamination comes from bad caulking that causes leakage inside the sandwitched section. When water get into the luan board it swell and the wall become unglued. After the fibergladss board become unglued and bubbles starts where there is water penetration. It is very important to check the caulking on the roof and on all the places where caulking is involved . Caulking can shrink with time and can reduce your protection. I have a 2011 and before this winter I had to put more dycor around my skydome. It was shrinking.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Your roof warranty only covers the material itself.
Leak warranty is you going up there every month or two with a tube of Dicor sealant and walking every seam and seal. If it looks cracked or dry to the touch a little dab to cover the dry spot or crack.

You can also Eternabond your seams for a more permanent solution to water intrusion and there are several great threads her by members who have done this mildly expensive roof treatment as a preventative measure.

Even if you don't do the entire job, a 6 inch wide roll of this stuff and a can of spray EB primer is a GREAT emergency tool to have in your tool bin. I brushed against a tree limb backing into a campsite last year and tore a 2 inch tear in my membrane at the edge. Rain was forecast and I went up for a roof check before it rained (I try to do that when I can); spotted the tear; said some bad words; and had a rain tight seal in 5 minutes.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote