Old 04-19-2008, 07:54 AM   #1

Dewinterizing: Comments & Questions

Hi Everyone,

I dewinterized our new trailer, a 2701SS, yesterday. It is sitting in our driveway at home and it wasn't too hard with the tips and hints I found in this forum. I kinda scratched my head looking at the two valves near the water heater trying to figure them out but the correct way was fairly obvious. The guy doing the walk-through with us at the dealership last week cross-threaded the anode rod fitting in the water heater when he install it. I forgot what he had done so I took it out. It was just hanging by a couple of threads. It went back in much more smoothly when I re-installed it, with teflon tape, of course.

Now this took me a long time, filling and emptying the fresh water tank. The tank does not completely empty so you simply dilute the anti-freeze each time. Or dilute and flush out the bleach that you used for sanitizing. A couple of questions.

1. You should probably use bottled water for drinking and coffee for some time. Do you full-timers continue to use bottled water? Or do you eventually go on the trailer system?

2. The gray and black water tanks drain slowly. I had them opened for much of the day and there was just a slow stream coming out. I closed them up and filled the gray water tanks 3/4 full and the water still didn't gush out when I opened the valve. I'll fill the black water tank with a hose in the toilet to see how fast it empties. I don't want to be a pain in the butt at the dump station. We did buy a used 25 gallon honey wagon so maybe we'll mostly use that.

So far, cross my fingers, no leaks! But I do need to look under the fixtures in the trailer, in the bathroom vanity and gallery areas. I don't know how you could check for leakage around the bathtub fixtures. I went under the trailer the other day on my "creeper" and everything seems to be enclosed under there. Except for the tanks, of course.

Ron

Old 04-19-2008, 08:50 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker_Ron View Post
Hi Everyone,

2. The gray and black water tanks drain slowly. I had them opened for much of the day and there was just a slow stream coming out.

Ron
Sounds like something wrong there.
My tanks drain with a torrent. 95% will be out in a minute.
Sure it will continue to dribble for several minutes more but nothing
like you describe.
I've no idea what might be wrong with yours......

I installed my water heater anode recently and it is kinda hard to
hold it at the correct angle and get it started.
Previous model had no anode and it was a snap to put in.

I filled my fresh tank completely full and found a loose automotive type
screw clamp on the fill line causing a drip.
When we camped the first day, we found damp carpet near the
under bed water heater.
I looked in the outside storage area at the back of the WH and found
a loose fitting going from the garden hose hookup to the first T.
It was so loose it sprayed me when I touched it.
It looked like someone had started it hand tight and then forgot to
snug it with pliers.

Every trailer I've owned leaked/dripped somewhere when new.
If you've looked everywhere as carefully as you can, and found no
drips, you are lucky!!

Welcome to Spring!!!
As soon as my wife gets outta that cast we'll get back out there.

1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:51 AM   #3

Water rushes out of both my gray and black water 3" valves - it continue to drip for maybe an hour but most shoots out. My FR25LB is in remote area with no running water so getting all the pink stuff out is a chore. Seems even after multiple drain/refills I'm still taking showers with the sudsy stuff. Not sure if its good or bad for the HW heater. I buy the 5 gal water jugs from HD and use a hand pump that fits it (from Harbor Freight Tools) for drinking.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:51 PM   #4

I have the 2701ss too, and my grey and black flush with no problem. I do agree that the fresh tank is hard to drain...as far as the valves on the hot water heater...I turned them so theu ran straight with the pipes I think....what ever they were last fall when I winterized, I just went the opposite...also, i removed the anode and just put in a 3/4" boiler spigot...the anode rotted out and I only camped 4 times last year, and it was brand new...so I figure the rotted anode fragments were in my hot water heater....
I also removed the inline water filter, which increased my water pressure through out the trailer. We drinkbottled water and use the camp water just for dishes. Now as for leakes, I always seem to get a small puddle at the end of the slide closest to the bathroom. Have someone put the slide in all the way after you get doen near the bath, and in there, are all the pipes and fittings for the sink and so forth. Make sure all fittings are tight. Hope all this helps
Prodigy Brake Control
Reese 800lb Weight Dist Bars
Dual Cam Sway Control
2008 Rockwood 2701ss
Mansfield, MA
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:50 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker_Ron View Post
2. The gray and black water tanks drain slowly. I had them opened for much of the day and there was just a slow stream coming out. I closed them up and filled the gray water tanks 3/4 full and the water still didn't gush out when I opened the valve. I'll fill the black water tank with a hose in the toilet to see how fast it empties.

Ron
Oh-oh! Well, at least it's both your black AND Grey tanks.... so it's not the 'nasty-bad' problem it would be if it were just your black tank that wasn't draining. I'd guess your knife valve has failed... won't open fully to allow the water to gush out as it should. Pretty simple to replace fortunately.

You put antifreeze in your fresh water tank? I don't do that; the little bit of water in it when it is drained can freeze safely without any damage occurring. As far as sanitizer/bleach, a few fill/flushes takes care of that.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:04 AM   #6

Hi everyone,

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshman599 View Post
You put antifreeze in your fresh water tank? I don't do that; the little bit of water in it when it is drained can freeze safely without any damage occurring. As far as sanitizer/bleach, a few fill/flushes takes care of that.
No, it came from the factory with anti-freeze in the fresh water tank. I'll try to drain and air dry the plumbing next winter to make this a little easier.

The black water tank dumps fast when it is full. Probably less than a minute. And you don't need a tank sensor to tell you that the tank is almost full. The tank "burps" air back at you through the toilet as it fully expands. (I was filling the tank through the toilet.) The toilet flange seal was fine. I filled up till water was high in the bowl of the toilet.

I have heard that when you camp in a campground with a sewer connection, you should not leave the dump valve open all the time because solids will build up on the bottom of the tank.

So far the water system is holding pressure. No leaks??? Cross my fingers.

Thanks for all the hints and advice.

Ron
Old 04-21-2008, 06:29 AM   #7

The anode rod has a purpose, it is there to protect your hot water heater. As the water heats up the rod gets hot and attacks the minerals in the water. The coating on the rod is suppose to disappear. The rodes last approx 2 to 3 years. The replacement cost for a new one is about $8.00 and it is a stock Item.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
The anode rod has a purpose, it is there to protect your hot water heater. As the water heats up the rod gets hot and attacks the minerals in the water. The coating on the rod is suppose to disappear. The rodes last approx 2 to 3 years. The replacement cost for a new one is about $8.00 and it is a stock Item.
that reminds me, I need a new one. when I drained the tank for the winter I noticed it was about done.

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2008, 09:14 AM   #9
Site Team

The anode will deteriorate whether the water is hot or cold and I've
read where folks found theirs had disolved in a single season so you
do need to check it.
I can't speak from experience yet as our trailer is only a couple months old.

Did you know that your home water heater also has an anode??
How many of you have ever checked/changed it???
Old 04-21-2008, 09:30 AM   #10

My first camper in 2000 did not have an anode rod in the hot water system. I just received this info last week on my RockWood from the dealer. Yes it's true It may only last a year, so it needs to be checked, the 2 to 3 years that I mentioned is the max life time depending on water conditions As far as chemicals, they are more active in hot water then cold. Some camp ground we go to are on wells and it depends on what chemicals they are using as to how it effects the hot water system.

Tags
rockwood