Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
Nights Camped in 2010 - 2

Digital tank level gages

All,
Anyone install digital gages in their holding tanks? The stock indicators drive me crazy. Their never right. I spent four days in a site without sewer with a gray water gage the read full the day I got there and 2/3rds after dumping and making sure it was empty. I add two gallons and 2 oz of treatment and we are at 2/3rds. I am seriously considering a winter project of replacing the stock set up with digital gage. Looking for any suggestions or tips. Thanks,

PS: I treat and flush my tanks frequently.
Nights Camped 2010 = 18
Nights Camped 2011 = 15
sailingsuppo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
Villa Estate 392FLFB

its not the gauges, its the sensors. they are just screws mounted into the tank with a wire off them to the gauges. only way for them to work correctly is to rinse rinse rinse your tank out over and over.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

I agree. The system is very flawed; but inexpensive; works occasionally; and will continue to be installed until something cheaper and more reliable comes along.

Cheaper is the operative word here.

This is how the sensors are arrayed for ALL tanks. Ground on the left; then 1/3; 2/3; and full on the right. NOTE: There is NO "empty" sensor.

"Empty" is when there is power to the system and no sensors detect water (actually a "path" from a sensor to the ground sensor) on the other side.

So, a path from "full" sensor direct to "ground" sensor will turn on the "Full" light regardless of what the 1/3 or 2/3 sensors are reading.

A piece of undissolved paper hanging from the full sensor into water at the bottom of the tank will read FULL in the coach.

Spending a fortune on a digital system MAY work better. Some folks insist it is worth the money, others say "Not so much."

No telling how you will feel after spending the money. After a while, you will get a "feel" for your water usage when dry camping and you can back up the gauges.

I monitor my "WATER IN" closely. It will give you a VERY close idea of the waste tank volume. For example, if you put 40 gallons in the fresh water tank, it is impossible to fill both 40 gallon waste tanks.

This works better if your fresh water tank gauge is "reasonably" accurate. In my camper "Not so much" but I always fill from a 5 gallon bottle and count the number I dump in.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
Nights Camped in 2010 - 2

Thanks for the information. The picture really tells a good story. After considering these post and the ROI for my time and money, I agree that upgrading might be a waste of time. I know that I can get four days out of a black tank. I will have do some data collecting on the gray, but feel pretty confident that I am safe for at least three days. I am now thinking a better investment would be in a blue tank. Thanks everyone. This is what I like about this site. Good, honest feedback. Later,
Nights Camped 2010 = 18
Nights Camped 2011 = 15
sailingsuppo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I won a set of these probes at the Hershey RV Show but haven't had a chance to install them. They are designed to eliminate the TP connection between probes as well as false readings due to the contacts being so close to the side walls.

Horst Miracle Probes for Wastewater Tanks in Recreational Vehicles RVs

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Let us know how well they work. It will be a job to change em out even if everything goes smoothly. (Almost never in my experience) LOL
Old 10-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #7

How hard is it to unscrew the old ones, and screw in the new ones? My tank currently reads full, but it's empty, and when I mentioned removing the sensors to clean them to my local RV dealer, he looked at me like I was purple with 8 eyes. So I bought a bottle of DigestIT instead lol
----------------------------------------
DageonYar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The other type of tank monitoring is See Level gauges...heard lots of good feedback on them. I'm looking at installing their monitoring system before next season. Here's a link to their website.

SeeLeveL RV Gauges by Garnet Technologies Inc.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Best explanation to date

While I am not recommending the sensors being sold here. The explanation of how the probes work is the best seen to date.

Tags
rockwood