Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2015, 03:07 PM   #21
DDC

Glad you are all ok, if this was me I would hope the insurance would be able to tell me why the tire blew but, the chances of that are low so the thing to do is be thankful and carry on camping in your new trailer that you get through insurance.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
can't compare the auto industry to the the rv industry apples and oranges.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
Maybe, but liability is liability. Selling unbalanced tires on a motor vehicle that results in uneven wear and premature failure sounds like a liability issue to me. Ask the OP (assuming this is one possible cause of their blowout).
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
Maybe, but liability is liability. Selling unbalanced tires on a motor vehicle that results in uneven wear and premature failure sounds like a liability issue to me. Ask the OP (assuming this is one possible cause of their blowout).
Alot of assumptions.
Do you have documentation where car manufacturers are required by law to balance tires?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:54 PM   #24
Swift2

Hi there. I have a 320 RS with "E" rated tires that came from the factory. Are these "e" rated tires normal. Most of the blogs that I read have C or D rated tires.
Swift 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:28 AM   #25

The Columbus 320 comes with E rated tires. Those that upgrade usually go to G-rated tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift 2 View Post
Hi there. I have a 320 RS with "E" rated tires that came from the factory. Are these "e" rated tires normal. Most of the blogs that I read have C or D rated tires.
nineback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:02 AM   #26

I'm also curious of why the lose of control. Was sway control in place and set up properly; speed; overloaded or not; possible road hazard, etc.? I wonder because I have had catastrophic tire failures and got no sway; I didn't even know one of them was essentially shredded until a passing motorist warned me. Neither one produced sway. I will refrain from wild speculation.

I would caution the OP to not say too much here, until the legal aspects are settled.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:18 AM   #27

West Lake tires

how can you tell if you have West Lake tires on your trailer?what I have R power touring Trailer Express tires, are these some of the tires that are a problem?
redcloud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:07 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcloud1 View Post
how can you tell if you have West Lake tires on your trailer?what I have R power touring Trailer Express tires, are these some of the tires that are a problem?
Seriously? its spelled out on the sidewalls of the tires. IMO, West Lake is no worse than any of the other tires made in the orient, today. I wouldn't say Trailer Express is known as one of the better of the China Bomb tires, and I'm not saying change them. Westlake had issues a few years back but seems to be better now. It also seems Goodyear Marathon, Maxxis, and a couple of others MIGHT have better QC. I am not going to change what looks like a good tire for another one that was made across the river in China, if I ever do, it will be for a higher rated tire not about brand. It is a proven fact that most tire failures is not the tire, but underinflation, overloading, or excess speed. The trailer manufacturers provide the minimum tire for the unit. When the trailer is maxed out, so it the tires. If you ask 50 people you will get 50 opinions on tires. But, not all 50 can be right, you decide.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 04-15-2015, 08:10 AM   #29

If you have Westlake it will say Westlake on the side of the tires. You do not have them. You have R Power Touring tires which I have never heard of. There are many trailer tires made in China with varying names none of which are well thought of. I had Westlakes and never had an issue but only put maybe 2000 miles on them. I changed to the Goodyear G-614 tires, which are G-rated and made in the USA, for piece of mind and a 4 year warranty. They are not cheap but I feel much more comfortable now that I have them.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:23 AM   #30

Nineback, are you running 16" wheels and tires. And, are you sure they are made in the US. I know they moved production back to US but some say they are back in the orient again. There's a code on the sidewalls that can be looked up to determine this. I have the look up table. Now, I am not debating you and agree Goodyear even if oriental have good QC. Just not sure they are US made. If they don't come in 14" or 15" that doesn't help some of us than can not fit 16" in the wheel wells.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 04-15-2015, 08:35 AM   #31

Sorry they are 16 inch tires. They are Goodyear commercial grade and are in-fact made in the USA. The Goodyear Marathon tires are now made in China but not the G-614 tire. The G-614 is a 14 ply tire.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:38 AM   #32

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Thread Hijack here folks!

To the OP I hope all is well and they Insurance company and such looks after you gettin a new trailer and truck and back on the road!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:28 PM   #33

Tire issue

Very sorry about your incident. I am a 30 + year retiree from the tire business. Most likely the tire company will blame the tire failure on air pressure or puncture problems. It is very important that the destroyed tire and all pieces of it be safely stored in case analysis needs to be done for litigation purposes. Don't let the towing/ storage company lose it. Try to put this behind you and keep on camping.
Tireguy397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:25 PM   #34

We bought a 2012 Windjammer in July and took a trip in September and had 2 blowouts. We had the tires checked before the trip and just thought they were bad tires. Someone finally asked why the heck 6 ply tires were on the trailer. Now I am thinking FR just put cheap tires on. After fixing $3000 damage from the blowout and $500 in new 10 ply tires, we are back on the road again. Now trying to determine reasons for a soft, sagging area in the floor.
jwodesigns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:52 AM   #35

Disaster with Windjammer 2715 vs

After sitting in hibernation for the past six months, I went to wake up our 2013 Jammer and discovered one of the door side tires was sitting on its rim. All of the tires were down, as to be expected...but the totally flat tire had me concerned. I put them all at 50psi and brought it home. It sat in the warmer temperatures for 2 weeks. Every tire was up to 56 psi except for the one that was flat. That one was down to 42. I brought it to a friend who owns a trailer service center and he checked it over for me. No noticeable leaks. I replaced the junk "Trail Express" class C tire with a Goodyear Marathon class D tire for $110. Wish I could do all of the tires to feel safer, but just can't swing it right now.
NHFire 152 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windjammer