Old 06-26-2015, 09:35 PM   #31
New to Forest River

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
I have close to zero knowledge of that which you all speak ....but I have a question please....

If we get one of the surge protectors & if we leave our camper for a bit & if the surge protector is tripped.... will the electric come right back on but the surge protector record an 'event' to let us know there is an issue? I ask because AC is left on for the pup when we take bike rides, go swimming, visit local microbreweries .... and I don't need to come home to a cooked dog (although both vents are always open with vent covers for air flow)
Thanx

I have a Progressive Industry 30 amp hardwired EMS. In the event of a fault the unit will interrupt power. If the condition corrects itself the power is restored an a code is displayed indicating what the problem was.

I prefer the hardwired unit because of the display which lists; error code, voltage, amps and frequency that I mounted next to control panel next to my Trimetric battery monitor.

Grey Nomads, Ron and Sue

Old 06-26-2015, 09:43 PM   #32

Polarity on 60 hz changes 60 times a second, alternating current.

The OP had a reverse polarity alarm on his EMS. This is most likely caused by a brownout or loss n connectivity somewhere in the electrical system. It is also possible a transformer is becoming saturated and stops working due to overload, when the load is removed it starts working again.

The EMS did its job.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:02 AM   #33

Well today the voltage has been low more than it has been OK. Left the motorhome for the day so we could stay cool, came back about 8:00 and turned on the second AC and within 15 minutes all shut down because of low voltage. My options as far as I see them is to put up with the problem, remove the Progressive Industries ems system or change parks if possible. Any other thoughts?

ehpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:18 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehpeters View Post
Well today the voltage has been low more than it has been OK. Left the motorhome for the day so we could stay cool, came back about 8:00 and turned on the second AC and within 15 minutes all shut down because of low voltage. My options as far as I see them is to put up with the problem, remove the Progressive Industries ems system or change parks if possible. Any other thoughts?
you could go an autoformer. it will boost voltage up to 10% automatically. i worked with Guy Gruper (owner dinosaur electronics) back when he was in development on his first stuff. he said brown out conditions dont harm most electronics, though they are hard on ac compressors. the biggest detriment is the transient spikes. like a brief 17,000 volt spike that hammers all your electonic components. the new switch mode(smart) converters clip those spikes off by the way the function. they convert the ac voltage high and then convert to dc and the spikes get clipped in the process. another reason they are good is virtually no ac ripple. that said, surge protectors are good to have and autoformers as well if your seeing a lot of low voltage.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfarm View Post
So you are saying this device is not needed and a regular surge protector with suffice.
Define surge protector. So many devices are completely different. And all are called surge protectors. Which one of so many are you asking about ... because you did not provide perspective - only used a subjective and vague term.

I don't know what you are asking because your question does not also state which anomaly concerns you. For example, those power strip protector so often found in homes do not even claim to protect from surges that typically damage appliances. They are for a completely different anomaly called a surge. In some cases, those strips create fires. And do not do anything that was discussed in a previous post. That power strip is also called a surge protector. And does nothing that the Progressive does. Which surge protector are you asking about?

Another discussed a 17,000 volt spike. A completely different device called a surge protector is for that completely different anomaly. Surge protectors discussed here obviously do nothing (do not disconnect) for that anomaly. Since that anomaly occurs in microseconds. A Progressive typically disconnects in milliseconds or seconds - long after that anomaly is done.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:43 AM   #36

Robot Check

As in regular surge protector, I was talking about something like this. Will this be enough protection.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:42 PM   #37

Its good if all you want is surge protection but there are many other occurances besides surges that can cause major damage.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:05 AM   #38

Just purchased a Progressive Industries 30 amp Portable EMS System... Have a new RV and want to protect it. Can't wait to try it out this week.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:15 AM   #39

We have had both portable and hard wired surge protectors in motorhomes. Both have saved us on several occasions. Now we are down-sizing to a travel trailer and I won't plug without one.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:55 PM   #40

Just packed up the rig this morning when I left the site and found that the hydraulic slides would not operate. When I check the PI EMS it showed that we had suffered a low voltage bump which must have done something because once I re-set the EMS, the hydraulic slides worked correctly. I had checked the breakers on the hydraulic system but nothing had been tripped. I can only presume the EMS saved me some damage.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power