Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2015, 12:48 PM   #41

Progressive EMS did its job! My parents and I both own Progressive EMS systems for our RV's... mine is a 30amp and his a 50amp. When he went to plug his into the power supply at the camp this past weekend, the EMS immediately shut down. Tried it again and it did the same thing. We took it and plugged it into the next campsite over and had no problem. Spoke to the camp host and he allowed my parents to move to the site that had no issues. I don't want to think what could have happened had they just plugged in without their EMS. Money well spent!
Old 07-07-2015, 01:02 PM   #42

My Progressive EMS did its job also this long weekend while camping my EMS shutdown power to my TT a few times due to an E4 code indicating low voltage. The temps were in the mid 90's and the A/C was cycling on and off from what I understand low voltage is hard on A/C compressor's so I'm sure glad I purchased one when my wife and I bought are new Rockwood 2703 so far so good.
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:45 PM   #43

I know this question is probably answered somewhere in this forum but if someone could humor me .... why do I spend $270 (Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System) instead of $85 (Progressive Industries SSP30 Smart Surge)?

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:10 PM   #44

We seldom camp where there are hookups, thus never saw the need for the protector. The few times we have had hookups, I used my little yellow polarity checker and adapter at the post and if all's well I connect my shoreline cable. I also have a KillaWatt device plugged in to keep track of volts. Never saw anything lower than 115v.
But we are getting a new Forester in a few months and may consider getting the protector as we will probably be going to more CG's with hookups.
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:07 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
I know this question is probably answered somewhere in this forum but if someone could humor me .... why do I spend $270 (Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System) instead of $85 (Progressive Industries SSP30 Smart Surge)?

Surge protection is just that- prevents spikes from letting out the magic smoke from all your electronics.

Management systems will protect against low voltage, high voltage, 240 voltage, built in time delay to save your ac compressor restarting too quickly. So ask yourself, do I spend a little now and worry about what could happen or spend a little more and have the confidence that a poorly wired pedistal will not ruin your trip?

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:05 AM   #46

I ordered a Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System from Amazon yesterday to go with our 2016 ROCKWOOD 2503S that we pick up next Tuesday.

We have used EMS in motorhomes and they have saved us from low voltage and near by lightening strikes. Pretty cheap insurance.
debandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:41 AM   #47
Pockets

Okay. You guys talked me into it. I ordered Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea from Amazon.ca this morning. I got the external model because my Flagstaff has the power cord plug in the side of the trailer as opposed to a pass through cord. Just have to figure out a way of securing it to the power mast.
3.5L Ecoboost, 3:73 axle, Max Tow Pkg 2015(36 nights) 2016(74 nights) 2017(174 nights) 2018(157 nights) 2019(79 nights) 2020(108 nights)
Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:52 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pockets View Post
Just have to figure out a way of securing it to the power mast.
Search through some forum posts and you'll find numerous photos and comments on how you can secure the portable PI EMS.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:13 PM   #49

I have a Progressive Industries EMS‑PT30C Portable Surge Protector 30 Amp and although it has not "saved" me yet,,,,,,,,
I have a seasonal site so the trailer is always plugged in to a safe pedistal. The cool thing with the PI EMS is, the unit constantly monitors the volts coming in and the amps being used.
For example: We'll have the AC running, the water heater on electric, and we will sometimes use two electric skillets for breakfast. As each item is turned on, you can see the amp usage increase. Before turning on that second skillet, I will check the amp usage. If I am over 25 amps ( give or take ), I know that second skillet will trip the 30 amp breaker in the trailer so it reminds me to turn off the water heater or another item. It is nice because you get a feel for what amps you are using and what items will cause the breaker to trip.
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:47 PM   #50
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Aren't a lot of pedestal units a 1 time use item? Even with a power cord that externally plugs in to RV, all you need to do is insert a hardwired unit into the cord inside before the power center, and it's out of site and will still be your tomorrow.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:44 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Aren't a lot of pedestal units a 1 time use item? Even with a power cord that externally plugs in to RV, all you need to do is insert a hardwired unit into the cord inside before the power center, and it's out of site and will still be your tomorrow.
Here is how I wired in my "portable" so its out of site but can be unplugged to "test" pedestals or removed if I move on to a different camper or if it malfunctions I can just remove it and still have power.

craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	surge01.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	83864   Click image for larger version

Name:	surge02.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	83865  
Old 07-23-2015, 09:53 AM   #52
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Alot better idea than trying to secure to pedestal.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Aren't a lot of pedestal units a 1 time use item?
Any protector that is 'one time use' is best entitled a scam. A protector must perform its function and remain functional. As even applies to protectors for lightning. We are not discussing that completely different device that is also called a protector. But even those protectors must remain functional after each event.

Grossly undersizing a protector to fail on any first anomaly gets naive consumers to recommend it. That increases profits. And is dependent on superior protection that is already inside every appliance.

Different devices (all called protectors) are for different anomalies. All must remain functional in order to perform a useful function.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:08 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by westom View Post
Any protector that is 'one time use' is best entitled a scam. A protector must perform its function and remain functional. As even applies to protectors for lightning. We are not discussing that completely different device that is also called a protector. But even those protectors must remain functional after each event.

Grossly undersizing a protector to fail on any first anomaly gets naive consumers to recommend it. That increases profits. And is dependent on superior protection that is already inside every appliance.

Different devices (all called protectors) are for different anomalies. All must remain functional in order to perform a useful function.
Think you misunderstood Bobs point. He was referring to security. As in here today, gone tomorrow.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:42 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Think you misunderstood Bobs point. He was referring to security. As in here today, gone tomorrow.
Sometimes amazing how much some people will spend on tools so they can steal something that costs less.

Where does one buy a protector for that anomaly?
westom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power