Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2015, 04:00 PM   #1

Do you need power management protection?

We have been out on a three week trip visiting different campgrounds in Michigan. Last year, I bought a Progressive Industries power management box and started using it towards the end of the camping season. We finished the last year without any intervention from the power management system. This year the story has been different. We have had two disconnects due to power surges during thunderstorms. The last intervention was at a State campground when I plugged in the box and it refused to connect. I looked at the display and saw that there was a reversed polarity issue at the post. Reversed polarity is potentially very dangerous, and as a lesser threat, has a potential to damage some electrical equipment. I advised the staff and they came out to take a look. Initially, they doubted the error shown and thought the problem was in the management system. I dispelled that by connecting into another post where it connected without issue. They shut down power to the whole section of the campground and took a look at the 30amp connector. Sure enough, the outlet was cross wired. The staff was impressed with the protection system and said they had never come across one before. I just wanted to share our experiences with anyone that might have been considering purchasing one. The $250 I spent was well worth the price considering the risk we had experienced to life and equipment.
Fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:19 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Great story!

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:14 PM   #3

Thanks for sharing. Up until my current RV I never considered needing electrical management protection. I installed the PI hardwired 50amp unit and now I wouldn't dream of connecting without it. So far I have never had a problem but I'm sure that is just good luck. I certainly wouldn't want to get caught out without it and damage my trailer or any of its appliances.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:55 PM   #4

I never had one in our first few years of camping, but got a hardwires PI when we got our new 5th wheel last year. Has saved me about 5 times already. Will never be without one again.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:58 PM   #5

We are currently in a park near Reno and ours shuts down at least once maybe multiple times almost every afternoon with low voltage on line 2. I wouldn't be without it any more.

ehpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:09 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Never had one with my old TT. 2 yrs ago we were camping with a group of friends in VA and there were several times we had low voltage issues. Several in the group had their surge protectors trip. We had no protection and got very lucky. When we bought our fiver last year, I made sure to protect it with a surge guard 50 amp portable surge protector.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:49 AM   #7

fivealive- You have convinced me that it is time to make the investment. Now I need to convence DH. Thanks and happy camping!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke
KateE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:18 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateE View Post
fivealive- You have convinced me that it is time to make the investment. Now I need to convence DH. Thanks and happy camping!
Maybe this picture will convince him.
Now imagine all your appliances doing this.
$300.00 sounds pretty cheap!
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1434712660859.jpeg
Views:	261
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	80422

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #9

A lower cost way is a reverse polarity outlet checker and a simple plug in voltmeter
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #10
Pockets

Can someone recommend a unit? I didn't think I needed one TIL NOW. Trailer is only a couple of weeks old and would like to keep it for a couple of years.
3.5L Ecoboost, 3:73 axle, Max Tow Pkg 2015(36 nights) 2016(74 nights) 2017(174 nights) 2018(157 nights) 2019(79 nights) 2020(108 nights)
Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pockets View Post
Can someone recommend a unit? I didn't think I needed one TIL NOW. Trailer is only a couple of weeks old and would like to keep it for a couple of years.
I don't have one yet either, but the Progressive Industries unit seems to be the most popular and well liked.
This is the best price I have found: http://rvsafety.net/products.php?cat=2
Which was posted by another member a while back.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #12

We've had a Surge Guard 50A portable since 2013 and before that had a 30A from the same company in a previous rig. Nothing but good to say about it. It's saved us at least once that I know of. It's money well spent IMHO. The only potential issue is security. Even with a hasp to connect it to the 50 Amp cable a portable is vulnerable to theft. We've been lucky so far but it is a concern.
6.6 Duramax / Allison 1000
Flatlander49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkerr View Post
A lower cost way is a reverse polarity outlet checker and a simple plug in voltmeter
Pound wise and penny foolish. That is good for the exact time you are checking the power, but what happens later is the issue. And surge protection? My unit has saved me 5 times since I put it in 2 years ago. Only one of those times was the problem found before we started to camp. Others happened while camping.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pockets View Post
This is our hero: http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-In...RJMSZNZ9V0QX84 . I cable lock it on the post. There are a few others out there, you can do a little homework and decide which one is best for you.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:57 PM   #15

Sounds similar to my post about a week ago when I encountered reverse polarity from my surge protector. Maintenance insisted it was fine after rewiring it x3. I was not a happy camper to say the least. Luckily, I've not encountered damage... yet.
Follow my blog: americanbluestreak.com
donhillphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivealive View Post
We have been out on a three week trip visiting different campgrounds in Michigan. Last year, I bought a Progressive Industries power management box and started using it towards the end of the camping season. We finished the last year without any intervention from the power management system. This year the story has been different. We have had two disconnects due to power surges during thunderstorms. The last intervention was at a State campground when I plugged in the box and it refused to connect. I looked at the display and saw that there was a reversed polarity issue at the post. Reversed polarity is potentially very dangerous, and as a lesser threat, has a potential to damage some electrical equipment. I advised the staff and they came out to take a look. Initially, they doubted the error shown and thought the problem was in the management system. I dispelled that by connecting into another post where it connected without issue. They shut down power to the whole section of the campground and took a look at the 30amp connector. Sure enough, the outlet was cross wired. The staff was impressed with the protection system and said they had never come across one before. I just wanted to share our experiences with anyone that might have been considering purchasing one. The $250 I spent was well worth the price considering the risk we had experienced to life and equipment.
This doesn't surprise me one bit. I have had several occasions where the CG insisted my checker was wrong and when I pressed the issue, polarity was reversed, open ground, etc: DUH
Old 06-19-2015, 04:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
This doesn't surprise me one bit. I have had several occasions where the CG insisted my checker was wrong and when I pressed the issue, polarity was reversed, open ground, etc: DUH
Fun and games until someone gets fried. I did ask the staff if the poor wiring was why they keep an AED at the ranger station.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:29 PM   #18

My progressive industries EMS just worked as intended. I was at a campground last week where it registered an open ground and would not turn on. The campground elec checked the box, confirmed this problem, then rewired it. So the unit then turned on and I avoided a potential dangerous shock. Also Shut down last summer in Oklahoma when a tree next to us was hit by lightning. I'm glad I bought it.
robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:51 PM   #19

Amen!! Amen!!
Old 06-19-2015, 08:09 PM   #20

Saved by Progressive

I installed a Progressive unit a couple of years ago and did not have an issue until recently.
I checked into a park near Seattle and the first site had an open ground which was instantly detected. I moved to another site and it shut the power down again doe to low voltage. It just paid for itself.
Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power