Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2018, 10:38 PM   #1
GMG

Do you own a Rockwood 2902WS, too?

We are coming up on our one-year anniversary of being the proud owners of a 2018 Rockwood 2902WS.

We love this travel trailer! We shopped for two years before we found this model. But, it doesn’t seem like we see it mentioned in the forum(s).

If you have one, could you please post a quick note about your experience with it? Thank you!!

GMG and Mrs. GMG
GMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:16 AM   #2

Just upgraded from a Mini Lite to the 2902WS. The floorplan sold me - comfortable interior seating for 8 - are you kidding me???

Only slept in it one night but we were very comfortable. It was cold and snowy that night at our seasonal site. Enjoyed a movie in the living room and then had a great night sleep on the full sized Queen bed. Our 15 yr old daughter loved the sofa bed. She didn't even need her memory foam pad!

The pass through storage is to die for. No more waiting to pack up the truck bed until every last piece of gear is ready to go in. I'm guessing I'll save 30-45 minutes each time we pack up to leave.

Can you tell...we love it!!!

csyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
GMG

Rockwood 2902WS

Thank you for your reply!

We love the floor plan, too. The privacy of being able to go into the bathroom without having to go into the hallway was a big plus. I did install a television in the bedroom at a significantly lower cost than ordering it from the factory. My wife loves the closet space.

I think that the fact that the slide does not have any appliances moving in an out was a huge factor in our decision to buy this model. We went with the freestanding table and chairs. I know that there are some strong opinions out there about the rear kitchen but we have never experienced a problem with that part of the design. The pantry is huge for a travel trailer in our opinion.

Thanks again for your response! Happy camping in your 2902WS!!
Old 05-09-2018, 01:16 PM   #4

2902ws

We picked up a 2018 in Feb this year and chose it for the floor plan and overall build quality. This was our 25th year wedding anniversary gift to each other and we challenged ourselves with going to 25 places(we are not full timers). So far we have 7 done and another 13 already booked. Made some initial mods, changed the thermostat, put in a moreryde full sliding tray in the pass through storage(priceless, no more crawling in to get stuff, rolls out in either direction.), Changed the showerhead, replaced dinette light switch with a dimmer, and more planned to come. I specifically looked for a plan that did not take room from my front porch and this one fit the bill. Also wanted a more open bed, not blocked by wardrobe and we love the slide out storage for both cloths and bath/linen. I am working on a full depth drawer under the dinette bench, already replaced the table supports with the old school poles so i dont need to take down the table to travel. Also have the parts to install the counter extension permanently using hinged shelf supports that lock and support 300 lbs. We missed a few weekends in April due to work travel and miss our trailer, we are going this weekend for two nights locally.
nrimshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:18 PM   #5

We also have a 2902WS and absolutely love it! The floor plan just works and the layout makes the most sense for us. The way the kitchen/dining area flows to the living/TV area is more relaxing in that you can have specific functions adjacent to one another without jumbling everything up. The bathroom is positioned perfectly by the way it separates the bedroom from the living area and the dual access doors are great for us and any guests. An added bonus is you can step through the front door and right into the bathroom without dragging all of the outdoors through the trailer. People cannot believe the amount of storage this thing has! The pantry, wardrobe slide, all the cabinets... we really can bring everything and it is easy to get your hands on too. I feel the build quality is superior to a lot of similar sized units. The cabinets feel almost as solid as ones you find in a brick and mortar home. We have found a few floor plans that also make us go "hmmmmm - maybe someday", but given the price point, the fact it is truly 1/2 ton towable, and well constructed, this will make us happy campers for quite some time.
BigBear0216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:00 PM   #6

Just picked my 2902 up.

Ordered it in the fall, signed the papers in February and picked it up last week. Camped in it last weekend. The camper is great. So much more storage than my 2010 2604, tows pretty much the same with my 2010 Tundra with airbags. One question, It came with a TV mount installed on the outside of the camper, but no TV in the bedroom and no mount in the bedroom. I have a TV I want to install in the bedroom and would like it compatible with the outside mount point. Any Idea who makes the tv mounts that come with the camper so I could install one in the bedroom?
whealy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #7
GMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrimshaw View Post
We picked up a 2018 in Feb this year and chose it for the floor plan and overall build quality. This was our 25th year wedding anniversary gift to each other and we challenged ourselves with going to 25 places(we are not full timers). So far we have 7 done and another 13 already booked. Made some initial mods, changed the thermostat, put in a moreryde full sliding tray in the pass through storage(priceless, no more crawling in to get stuff, rolls out in either direction.), Changed the showerhead, replaced dinette light switch with a dimmer, and more planned to come. I specifically looked for a plan that did not take room from my front porch and this one fit the bill. Also wanted a more open bed, not blocked by wardrobe and we love the slide out storage for both cloths and bath/linen. I am working on a full depth drawer under the dinette bench, already replaced the table supports with the old school poles so i dont need to take down the table to travel. Also have the parts to install the counter extension permanently using hinged shelf supports that lock and support 300 lbs. We missed a few weekends in April due to work travel and miss our trailer, we are going this weekend for two nights locally.
Sorry that one of us didn't reply to your post sooner. It's been a week and a half: death in the family and GMG and I both have had some health issues. That meant rescheduling next week's trip which would have been only a couple of hours from home.

Congratulations on your 25th anniversary!!!!! What a great way to celebrate such an important occasion! We haven't done a whole lot as far as mods go....yet. Thanks for your response!!

Mrs. GMG
Old 05-12-2018, 02:39 PM   #8
GMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBear0216 View Post
We also have a 2902WS and absolutely love it! The floor plan just works and the layout makes the most sense for us. The way the kitchen/dining area flows to the living/TV area is more relaxing in that you can have specific functions adjacent to one another without jumbling everything up. The bathroom is positioned perfectly by the way it separates the bedroom from the living area and the dual access doors are great for us and any guests. An added bonus is you can step through the front door and right into the bathroom without dragging all of the outdoors through the trailer. People cannot believe the amount of storage this thing has! The pantry, wardrobe slide, all the cabinets... we really can bring everything and it is easy to get your hands on too. I feel the build quality is superior to a lot of similar sized units. The cabinets feel almost as solid as ones you find in a brick and mortar home. We have found a few floor plans that also make us go "hmmmmm - maybe someday", but given the price point, the fact it is truly 1/2 ton towable, and well constructed, this will make us happy campers for quite some time.
Thank you for your reply!!

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the storage that the 2902 has. Mr. GMG definitely agrees with you about the build quality. We were actually at the plant the day that our rig was supposed to be built. We missed it by less than a work shift. (We were there first thing in the morning and it didn't begin to be constructed till late that day. There was a blip in the order but they straightened it out.}

I am pretty sure that this will be our second and last travel trailer. So, I am glad that we picked this one for sure!
Old 05-12-2018, 02:50 PM   #9
GMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by whealy4 View Post
Ordered it in the fall, signed the papers in February and picked it up last week. Camped in it last weekend. The camper is great. So much more storage than my 2010 2604, tows pretty much the same with my 2010 Tundra with airbags. One question, It came with a TV mount installed on the outside of the camper, but no TV in the bedroom and no mount in the bedroom. I have a TV I want to install in the bedroom and would like it compatible with the outside mount point. Any Idea who makes the tv mounts that come with the camper so I could install one in the bedroom?
Congratulations on your new 2902WS!!

I hope that I get this right but I think that the TV mount on outside is meant to (or at least can) hold the TV from the living room. We will probably never use ours outside unless the grandkids were to talk us into it. Mr. GMG went to Best Buy and bought a smaller Samsung TV and the appropriate mount then installed it in the bedroom. If I recall correctly, the total cost was about two hundred dollars.

Thank you for your response!! Have fun!!

Mrs. GMG
Old 05-12-2018, 03:01 PM   #10
GMG

I nearly forgot to ask our fellow 2902WS owners a question that I have been thinking about ever since the day that we took ours home.

Has anyone modified the space between the upper cabinets (in our case above the chaise couch) and the cabinets above the kitchen/stove area? I wish that I could post a picture. There is a space in between those sets of cabinets that I am quite sure that an inventive person could put to use.

Thank you!

Mrs. GMG
Old 05-14-2018, 06:24 PM   #11

Also installed the furrion electric fireplace/heater which we love. Let me know if your interested, i have another one available.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Also installed the furrion electric fireplace/heater which we love. Let me know if your interested, i have another one available.
Where were you able to install the fireplace? Our 2017 has a cabinet below the tv. It would be impractical to eliminate that. Do you have any photos of the install?
Old 05-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBear0216 View Post
Where were you able to install the fireplace? Our 2017 has a cabinet below the tv. It would be impractical to eliminate that. Do you have any photos of the install?
Yes, I did install the fireplace under the TV, but we were ok loosing the space since there is so much additional storage anyway. I have attached a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7972 (002).jpg
Views:	230
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	171926  
Old 05-17-2018, 12:31 PM   #14

My first post. Yay me, right?

Anyhoo, we traded our Salem Cruise Lite for the 2018 2902WS just two weeks ago. Like the rest here, the floor plan just grabbed me and Mrs. Redneck. I think Forest River made the perfect layout with this one. We looked at 26 feet to 40 feet and this one was absolutely everything we both wanted and where we wanted it.
IndianaRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:50 PM   #15
GMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaRedneck View Post
My first post. Yay me, right?

Anyhoo, we traded our Salem Cruise Lite for the 2018 2902WS just two weeks ago. Like the rest here, the floor plan just grabbed me and Mrs. Redneck. I think Forest River made the perfect layout with this one. We looked at 26 feet to 40 feet and this one was absolutely everything we both wanted and where we wanted it.
Absolutely Yay You! Welcome to the forum. Be sure to go to the Welcome Mat and introduce yourself. Not everyone checks out the Rockwood section on a regular basis.

We can't say enough good things about the 2902WS. Tomorrow is our 1-year anniversary of bringing it home. Congratulations on yours!!

Mrs. GMG
Old 05-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Yes, I did install the fireplace under the TV, but we were ok loosing the space since there is so much additional storage anyway. I have attached a pic.
I like how you handled this one. I looks nice. You wouldn't happen to have progress photos to show how you adapted this area would you? Also, how did you modify the electrical for the fireplace?
Old 05-17-2018, 02:27 PM   #17

Sorry, no progress photos, but basically took off the doors and removed frame(they are all fastened with pocket screws in the back), used the same wood to create a top rail. Added 2x4's for the side supports for the fireplace. I then just extended power from the above tv outlet to a new receptacle below(Some say you need to run a separate circuit, but based on amp draw from tv and fireplace, i should be good, no issues so far). I then cut the doors down to make the trim frame around the fireplace.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:24 PM   #18

We have had our 2017 2902 WS. For a year. Love the floor plan. Love the storage. The wardrode slide is the best. Our only complaint is this TT is too bouncy. We have not been successful in stabilizing enough of the bouce out for our taste.
2018 Ram 2500
2014 Spark
gondrej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:50 PM   #19

I'll be tackling that next weekend. I hope that four sets of stabilizers will be enough. If it is, I'll try to remember to post something about it.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:28 AM   #20

We also purchased a 2018 2902Ws

What do you do about the refrigerator for storage when the slide out is retracted? I have always just left mine open to prevent condensation and mold.

Thanks,

Bob
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood