Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2008, 03:39 PM   #1

Do you walk on your signature ultra light roof?

Just wondering if I will be able to walk on the roof of my 8317ss that is on order? I am not a small guy at 250lbs.. I know I can't jump up and down on it, but can I crawl up there via the ladder and clean it off?
symbasden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
Cyber Phrenologist

I went to an RV show here locally, and a salesman climbed the ladder of the Rockwood Signature UltraLite 8280SS that I was looking at (I was INSIDE at the time) and proceeded to jump up and down on the roof. He was no lightweight, either.

I opted not to buy that particular trailer, we'll order one this year just what we want. So I figured:

1) Yes a big dude can jump up and down on the roof, but why would you want to?

2) Add to PDI checklist - Look for muddy foot prints on roof.

The real danger in walking around up there is hurting yourself or puncturing the roof membrane with some sharp thing stuck to the bottom of your shoe.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:09 PM   #3

You can walk on it. The service guys may have two or three on it if it needs work done. It is much easier to clean up there too. Just be careful if it is wet because it can get slippery.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:24 PM   #4

I walk on mine with no problems.
I wash my TT after every trip, starting on the roof and work my way down.

Be sure to wear a good pair of sneakers while up there. I went up one time barefooted, and almost slipped off. I got down real quick, opened another beer and put my shoes on before continuing.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
I walk on mine with no problems.
I wash my TT after every trip, starting on the roof and work my way down.

Be sure to wear a good pair of sneakers while up there. I went up one time barefooted, and almost slipped off. I got down real quick, opened another beer and put my shoes on before continuing.
Hey milzat, I will invite you to California to wash my trailer too!!!

Heck I will even throw in a fresh bag of Oranges picked right of the tree. Is it a deal?

on the roof, I go up on it all the time, and inspect with no problems, they are pretty strong
Old 02-08-2008, 05:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKINWOOD View Post
Hey milzat, I will invite you to California to wash my trailer too!!!

Heck I will even throw in a fresh bag of Oranges picked right off the tree. Is it a deal?
Sounds great.
Send the DW and I a couple of round trip air fair tickets. I'll bring my wash bucket and soap in trade for the Oranges.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
Sounds great.
Send the DW and I a couple of round trip air fair tickets. I'll bring my wash bucket and soap in trade for the Oranges.
aw nuts, I thought there would be a catch, but if you ever decide to pull your rig this way let me know, the oranges on the house!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 10:49 PM   #8

If your trailer came from the factory with a ladder for roof access then the trailer has a reinforced roof and id safe to walk on it.
If no factory ladder it is not safe to walk on it.

Jim & Eileen
Silverado 1500 Crew Cab, 5.3 ltr, prodigy controller.
2009 Rockwood 2604.

Running mates Max & Kate Chihuahua's

Hobie Kayaks on Thule rack on truck

Retired Army EOD
jdeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:05 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeeter View Post
If your trailer came from the factory with a ladder for roof access then the trailer has a reinforced roof and id safe to walk on it.
If no factory ladder it is not safe to walk on it.
I wouldn't think that Forest River would put a stronger roof on the units that don't have ladders........I imagine that all of the particular brand and models are all made beforehand, with the ladder as an after thought. I would think that if a ladder is offered as an option on a particular model, then that roof would be OK to walk on.

But what do I know.....I had to ask about a roof walking question a couple of weeks ago myself.

Chap
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:59 AM   #10

I walk on mine all the time and it has no ladder. It is sturdier than the previous two Fleetwoods I had and I walked on those too. It is much easier to clean.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:30 PM   #11

our wildwood TT has a solid roof made for walking but i see very few wildwood LEs from the factory with a ladder, i had a dealer add one after purchse, which i would not recommend to anyone.

in our hybrid TT , the manual recommends using a spreader board to distribute the weight due to the light roof construction. we limit walking on this roof.

Tags
rockwood