Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
Does your Rockwood have a bypass on the hot water heater?

While my dealer tried to sell me a bypass kit and told me no units have them so I should buy one......I went directly to Rockwood and asked if my 8329SS had a bypass. I met Mark Akins (Great Guy) from Forest River at the Rally in August and sent him an e mail with that question. Here is his surprising response:

To answer your question , yes all of our models have hot water heater by passes . Your hot water heater is located on the off-door side wall just forward of the kitchen slide. Hot water heater is above the furnace. The hot water heater by-pass shut off are the three knobs that are on the lines going into the hot water heater. Two blue one red line. The two lines that go directly into the hot water heater one red and the other blue, are the shut offs. The third knob is the by-pass . turn the third knob after closing the two lines going into the water heater. hope that helps.

Still love our Rockwood 8329SS

Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #2

You should have similar to this if suberban water heater....top picture summer position, bottom picture in winterized winter by-pass position
Attached Images

Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:42 AM   #3

Now here's a good opportunity for me to ask a winterizing question.....

I have that exact set up in my 2007 8314SS. I am wondering why you would close off the cold and hot water valves and open the bypass. Is it that we don't want anti-freeze in the water tank? If so, are we able to drain the tank (maybe by pulling the sacrificial anode)?

Thanks in advance for any help.
EnglishAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:45 AM   #4

That's exactly why and exactly how. It'll save you 6+ gallons of antifreeze. Remove you anode with a 1-1/16 socket and replace it with a 3/4" plug when drained.

While you're at it, don't forget to remove the water filter...RV antifreeze sometimes does bad things to filters.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
Maron

In response Andy, you mentioned "water tank" which is a hole different subject. Yes you want to drain your water tank if you are in a freezing zone of he country.

What we are primarily talking about is the "hot water heater". In that case not only should you take out the Anode rod...but according to my manual you should replace it annually.
The other stuff I read and been told is that you don't want antifreeze in your hot water heater because you don't want to cook it when you start the heater in the Spring.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:02 AM   #6

Thank you both very much. Yes, I did mean water heater and not tank (that's the British vernacular coming out).

That was pretty much my only remaining winterizing question, asked and answered. Outstanding.
EnglishAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

To the op.
Are you sure he wasn't trying to sell you a winterizing kit?

Name:   uploadfromtaptalk1412863258438.jpg
Views: 3822
Size:  9.5 KB

I mean it is a possibility.

This will save you many gallons of antifreeze as some people dump it into the fresh water tank and draw it through the pump that way which can take up to 10 gallons minimum.

I use 3.5 gallons on my 5th wheel with outside kitchen option.

And that includes my p traps.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #8

That's a good point, although I think everything in the last two years aside from the popups is coming with winterizing plumbing built in. Even my 21' has it. If for some reason you don't have one, highly recommended. I put that exact kit on my popup.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
Maron

Heh Turbs, that is a great point but I think he wanted to install...what I already have.
By the way...your point about the kit is excellent. Yesterday I had to go back to Walmart and buy 4 more gallons of rv antifreeze. I dumped the first 3 into the water tank. I couldn't get the pump to pick it up since there wasn't enough liquid in the tank.
Then I noticed another inlet below the fresh water tank one...that noted it as for antifreeze. After I e mailed my buddies at Rockwood, they informed me it as specific for pumping through the system.

The other interesting point I learned was about the water filter container hidden behind a screw out panel in the bathroom. My dealer either didn't know it was there or was to lazy to put the filter in since they left that in its original wrapper in a storage cabinet.
The guys from Rockwood are forwarding me directions on how to detach that and empty it for the winter. When I get it I will post it on line.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 10-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maron View Post
Heh Turbs, that is a great point but I think he wanted to install...what I already have.
By the way...your point about the kit is excellent. Yesterday I had to go back to Walmart and buy 4 more gallons of rv antifreeze. I dumped the first 3 into the water tank. I couldn't get the pump to pick it up since there wasn't enough liquid in the tank.
Then I noticed another inlet below the fresh water tank one...that noted it as for antifreeze. After I e mailed my buddies at Rockwood, they informed me it as specific for pumping through the system.

The other interesting point I learned was about the water filter container hidden behind a screw out panel in the bathroom. My dealer either didn't know it was there or was to lazy to put the filter in since they left that in its original wrapper in a storage cabinet.
The guys from Rockwood are forwarding me directions on how to detach that and empty it for the winter. When I get it I will post it on line.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Put an empty plastic pop bottle in place of your filter to take up space in your filter canister.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #11
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Put an empty plastic pop bottle in place of your filter to take up space in your filter canister.
Make sure you put the cap back on first (hee-hee).
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bypass, heater, hot water, rockwood, water, water heater