Old 05-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #11
Grape Escape

"First off it isn't Forest River's problem they didn't make the awing so there is no beef with them, HOWEVER!, it is definitely Dometic's problem. Now, if the dealer you are going to is an authorized Dometic repair/warranty facility (Dometic can tell you if they are) then I would be all over Dometic to reign in their dealer and make them do what they are supposed to do. If they are "too busy" to do their jobs then I would never take my rig to them again! This is absurd! If they are not the Dometic authorized dealer then you need to find one and go there instead and never give another dime to the first dealer!"

44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
And when I buy a car or a fridge or whatever and there is a fault or problem I should contact each component maker if there is a problem?? I should think NOT
Well I understand that there is very little difference between a "fridge or whatever" and a complex RV. You are comparing apples to oranges and it makes no sense. However here is the deal.... When we had problems with our Amana Microwave in our Georgetown, the Forest River warranty person I spoke with stated that it needed to be handled through Amana not Forest River, therefore it was the local Amana Dealer that came out and did the work, I didn't take my rig to the Forest River dealer. Likewise when dealing with the issue on our awning I called Dometic first who in turn said take it to OUR dealer (who wasn't the Forest River Dealer). In many cases the dealer you by your rig from is an authorized dealer for most of the components on an RV but it sounds like in this case they aren't for Dometic. If they are then they are a crappy dealer. Also I agree that Forest River should know about the problem but the component isn't theirs. Just remember RVs and their warranties don't work like cars or other consumer goods although you may think they do and want them too. An RV isn't a "car" there are no similarities in the ways the warranty work is performed and to expect that is being unrealistic.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:36 PM   #13
Grape Escape

I am saying dealer should repair through warrantee coverage as does any other selling dealer whether it be a car, boat, fridge, stove, lawn tractor or whatever. Rv's are not a small purchase and should be serviced accordingly. One should not have to chase after each component manufacturer.
Luckily some of us can fix most faults ourselves but there are many who can't.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Luckily some of us can fix most faults ourselves but there are many who can't.
Amen to that! I don't like anyone working on my stuff, I just don't trust them. I had my Jeep back to the dealer no less than a dozen times for various things and each time found bolts missing, work not done, etc.

I also agree that the RV dealer that sold the rig should be doing the work but from what I have seen of RV dealers they just want your money and don't care much about service after the sale. It's a problem of epidemic proportions in the RV industry. I see it worse in the small po-dunk dealers who may only have one or two repair "technicians" (I use the word loosely) that work part time. However the truth is that even if you take your rig back to the "Forest River, or Winnebago, or Fleetwood, etc." dealer for a problem with your Dometic awning, or refrigerator or your Amana microwave, etc. that dealer doesn't usually call the manufacturer of the RV for work authorization, they call the component maker directly. This is of course all transparent to the RV owner.

I think what may be happening in this particular case is that the dealer that these folks bought their rig from isn't an authorized repair facility for much of anything and is more interested in selling rigs than helping support the owners after the sale. Like I said it should be reported to FR and they can certainly help find a more hospitable dealer but they might be better served by calling Dometic directly and asking for the closest Dometic authorized dealer.

Personally if it were me in this case I would never return to the selling dealer these people are having problems with and I would guess that FR would be very interested in hearing of these problems too.

The good thing for guys like us that are capable of doing our own work is that in my dealings with the warranty guy at FR, he has been very willing to send me items or parts I have had problems with (very few in our case and easy to deal with) to change out myself. A lot of people that can do their own work don't know that this is an option. In some cases they do require you send the defective item back to them first for inspection but I have to heartburn over that.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #15
Grape Escape

I have been through the shipping parts directly to me but living in Canada it can be a nightmare as most companies cannot seem to get the proper paperwork for shipping across the border right. Trouble is most use UPS and they will take every dime they can from you if the paperwork is not in order. Warrantee replacements parts do not incur any duties or taxes but if shipper does not fill in the proper document look out. Since we are a large part of the market one would hope them could get it right. Had a problem with the XM docking station and after 2 new docking stations from dealer I finally discovered an extra stepdown voltage transformer where there should not have been one, right from the factory. Rambling on again>....
Old 05-15-2009, 01:27 PM   #16

Hi,

We picked up our '09 Rockwood 2501SS and while at the dealer, we opened up the awning and sure enough, the number matched one of the two numbers given me by Dometic and I should get the free awning fix. So I wrote down all the information and gave it to our dealer who said that he would contact Dometic again to get the part. I am going to give the dealer a few weeks before I call to see if he ordered the part.
Otherwise, we are leaving on our first camping trip this season later today I am excited, but a little nervous about the colder nights (and the ticks of course)!
Giselle
Old 06-23-2009, 07:18 PM   #17

I had my local mobile rv repair person who lives in town order the free awning part and it took about 6 weeks to come in, apparently due to Dometic having a substantial fire at their warehouse causing parts delays. Part came in today and I gave the fella 20 bucks for his trouble and he was happy. Told me if I have any trouble with the installation to give him a call and he'll be over in 10 minutes to help.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:45 AM   #18

I know this thread is over a year old but we purchased a 2009 wildcat with the dometic awning and because of this thread we got the free rain arm for the awning. It took about 2 weeks to come in and we got it through a dometic dealer that we have never purchased a trailer from. I told them the situation and they knew exactly what I was talking about and we got what we wanted. Thanx all for making it easy
Old 10-08-2010, 06:31 AM   #19

I think I would insist that the DEALER find the serial numbers in question. If they know how to work on the camper, they ought to know how to find the serial numbers. If not, I'd never let them get near the camper again.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:43 AM   #20
Nights Camped in 2010 - 2

Anyone got a link to the awning problem? Like to see if it applies to mine. Thanks,

Nights Camped 2010 = 18
Nights Camped 2011 = 15
sailingsuppo46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, rockwood