Old 05-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #1

Dometic awning

Hello,

I contacted our dealer in regards to the dometic power awning fix and they contacted Dometic. They were told that it would cost us $500.00 to get the part. Our dealer was also told that the awning is a 'sunshade' not an umbrella. I think this is ridiculous! I have read previous threads where dealers were sent the part and then the owner would pay for labour or just install the fix themselves. How can Dometic do this for some and not others. I understand that our awning is the type that would qaulify for this fix. Our dealer has been fighting back and forth with Dometic for us and five other local unit owners with the same issue. They said we should fight the fight with Dometic because they were not getting anywhere. Help! I do not want our power awning destroyed. A sunshade - what a joke! Does anyone have contact info for Dometic or ideas on what I should do? I am in Canada so I don't know if there is a canadian contact? Ugh! I am mad about this!

Giselle

Old 05-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #2

Hi Gizzys, and sorry to hear about your problem! I read about the fix on here, and looked at my handy owner's packet, and found the A&E/Dometic awning installation instructions, and the operating instructions. I called the number on the brochures, and they directed me to the customer relations dept., and then I explained my needs to her. She said the dealer has to order the kit, AND that it is a FREE kit, but you had to provide the serial and model number (on the arm with the power wire), take that info to your purchasing dealer, and they call dometic and send you out a kit. You MAY have to pay postage, but the install is really not any problem. My dealer said 50.00 to do it, but I did it myself in about 45 minutes. I can get you the number for A&E? Dometic if you need it. My dealer is Dick Gore's RV world in Jacksonville Florida. PARTS dept. knows about the fix. Randy

Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:58 AM   #3

After reading about the awning kit on this forum, I asked my dealer to order one. He told me he had several already. The kit is free and he offered to install it for $50. I picked up the kit last week, but have not installed it yet.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #4

We are getting our trailer back from our dealer (finally after a month) so we will look at the awning and try to find the numbers needed. When I called Dometic, they gave me the two numbers that qualify for the retrokit fit. Supposedly our dealer has been on the phone with Dometic, and having no luck. Yet when I asked our dealer to give me the serial numbers from our awning, he didn't have them. My guess is they haven't been trying very hard to get this kit for us and certianly haven't given Dometic the serial numbers. Our dealer told us that we have to handle it because they are busy and don't have the time to follow this up. It is a Dometic issue, not a FR/Dealer issue. So needless to say, I am not that happy with our dealer. Seems once a sale is made, the service drops off.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #5

I would contact Forest River directly, and let them know what your dealer is doing... I'll bet that they can get to the bottom of things, or remove their units from that dealer! EVEN IF worst case scenario, you had to purchase the kit from Dometic directly, it should not be more than 50.00. There's not much to it! There is a picture of the kit contents on here, if you go to the technical forum, and scroll down to Dometic Awnings, you'll see what is included in the kit. You didn't say if your camper was still under warranty, or not. This is NOT a recall, YET, simply a free fix...I imagine under warranty. The numbers on the inside of the arm will state the date of manufacture of the awning, also. GOOD LUCK!! Randy
Old 05-08-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
Chris and Sara

My dealer is sending mine to me no questions asked, for FREE!!

2004 F-150 with Tow Package
2009 Flagstaff 829 FKSS
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equalizer Hitch

renegaderailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzys View Post
We are getting our trailer back from our dealer (finally after a month) so we will look at the awning and try to find the numbers needed. When I called Dometic, they gave me the two numbers that qualify for the retrokit fit. Supposedly our dealer has been on the phone with Dometic, and having no luck. Yet when I asked our dealer to give me the serial numbers from our awning, he didn't have them. My guess is they haven't been trying very hard to get this kit for us and certianly haven't given Dometic the serial numbers. Our dealer told us that we have to handle it because they are busy and don't have the time to follow this up. It is a Dometic issue, not a FR/Dealer issue. So needless to say, I am not that happy with our dealer. Seems once a sale is made, the service drops off.
First off it isn't Forest River's problem they didn't make the awing so there is no beef with them, HOWEVER!, it is definitely Dometic's problem. Now, if the dealer you are going to is an authorized Dometic repair/warranty facility (Dometic can tell you if they are) then I would be all over Dometic to reign in their dealer and make them do what they are supposed to do. If they are "too busy" to do their jobs then I would never take my rig to them again! This is absurd! If they are not the Dometic authorized dealer then you need to find one and go there instead and never give another dime to the first dealer!
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #8

The thing is, yes, I agree that it is definitely Dometic that you have to deal with, BUT Forest River built the camper AND chooses the facilities to sell AND service said camper, therefore by utilizing Dometic awnings in their production, they should be notified of the problem, and possibly they could help speed up the resolution of the issue. That's all I'm saying. It sounds like a bad dealer, to me, that won't help out their customers. I'd find another dealer that sells the same campers, and ask them to help. Randy
Old 05-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #9

It's a 2009 Rockwood 2501SS, and it is still under warranty until September (plus we paid another $2500.00 for extended full warranty for a few more years - yup - scare tactics - we got sucked in. But it is our first trailer and brand new...) Once we pick up our unit tomorrow and find the serial number we will see ifit is one of the two numbers Dometic quoted me. I am guessing it will be. Then I will get after our Dealer to phone Dometic. I wonder if Dometic is open on Saturdays to phone? Weird that Dometic requires the dealer to request the fix. I know that there are a few other rv owners that have bought units from the same dealer having the same problem. So I will be tracking that part to make sure it doesn't go to someone else. I don't want to bring the trailer in again to the dealer until after camping season because of how long they tend to keep the unit. If I could skip the dealer in getting the part, I am sure things would be easier. But we will see how this progresses... Thanks for the comments!

Giselle
Old 05-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #10

Good question, NWJeeper. I don't know if our dealer is an authorized Dometic repair/warranty facility. I will have to ask them tomorrow...

Giselle

Tags
awning, rockwood