Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #1

Dometic Fridge Concerns

I bought a new Rockwood 8299BS 5th wheel in February with apposing slides with a side-by-side fridge (Dometic RM1350) in one of the slides. When I first bought it, the fridge seemed to work good but seemed to run often...or at least the fan(s) seemed to run a lot. I set my fridge at the #4 setting which dialed in at around 34 to 35 degrees F. This past week I went to Challis Hot Springs, Idaho and had a camp spot with an easterly view. That meant the side of the camper with the fridge faced west and was exposed to the hot afternoon sun where temps got to around the mid 80s. The inside temperature of the camper was kept around 70 degrees by using the air conditioner. The fridge was struggling to get below 40 degrees. It ran constantly and was holding 40 until later in the evening when it finally got to 35 degrees. Still 1 degree higher than it normally would get down to. The fridge had been running for about 4 days so the food had reached the temperature of the fridge. The next day, the fridge temp drifted up to about 38 degrees during the day and later returned to 35 degrees later in the evening around midnight. I noticed when it got to within a couple degrees of the target temperature, the fan (I think it was the fan) cycled ON for 45 seconds, then OFF for 45 seconds. It repeated that cycle for about 4 hours until it finally reached the target temperature.

I was plugged into a 50 amp service at the RV park and I also tried to run off propane to see if that made a difference....it didn't.

I posted this same message on rv.net and was advised to buy an ARP and external fan system along with adding a baffle at the top of the fridge to help efficiently exhaust the hot air. In looking at drawings from various posts, it's not clear to me how to install the baffle.

What are the thoughts from this forum? Am I expecting too much from a camper fridge or is there something wrong? Should I be looking at a modification to the vents/fans for the fridge?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-08-2016, 11:25 AM   #2
Site Team

Since your fridge is in a slide, you need the fans and possibly the baffle. Have you checked to see if there is a baffle in the vent stack?

Are there two fans in the stack?

You can find instructions on the fans and baffle in the Service Manual starting on page 33.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #3
Steelhorzz

I was having the same issue with my 1350. I added a "fan set" atraching it to the fins on the inside of the fridge to help circulate the air. I also added 2 of the Valterra A10-2606 ( battery powered) fans in different shelves inside the fridge to help circulate air. AND I purchased a Dometic fan kit, (it's an option and I don't know why they don't install them), that is placed behind the fridge, between the outside wall. It pushes the hot air out the upper vent. This I had to have the dealer install as you really need to pull the fridge out. These "mods" have worked well, and the temp is a steady 31 degrees all day long!!!
Blue Ox Tow System / U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Since your fridge is in a slide, you need the fans and possibly the baffle. Have you checked to see if there is a baffle in the vent stack?

Are there two fans in the stack?

You can find instructions on the fans and baffle in the Service Manual starting on page 33.
It looks like two fans are installed. I took a picture looking down the upper vent. They look like those cheap, loud 80 mm fans that older computers used. See attached. The second photo shows the upper vent, straight on. It doesn't look like there's a baffle installed and I'm not sure what the two pieces of wood do except cut down the size of the upper vent by 50%.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	upper vent looking down.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	116675   Click image for larger version

Name:	upper vent.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	116676  
Old 08-08-2016, 07:40 PM   #5

This helps too
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1470703214317.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	116685  
davidjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:06 PM   #6
Steelhorzz

I love it!! Did you add hinges??
Blue Ox Tow System / U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:31 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

We have the sister Flagstaff 8529IKBS but it has the same 1350 refrigerator.
We too struggled to get the refrigerator to acceptable temps.
Ours has the same factory fans as in your photo. I added a 80 cfm ball bearing fan at the bottom blowing up and cut a hole in the two pieces of wood (second photo) and installed a 120 cfm ball bearing fan blowing out, at the top vent.

These fans work way better than the factory fans and are so quiet you can't hear them.
I wired them so they run anytime the fridge is on. Easy to do from the existing relay mounted to the rear of the fridge. The noisy factory fans never even come on now.
Temps were consistently at 0 for the freezer and 32-35 for the fridge.

About three trips out after adding the fans, we experienced higher temps in the fridge but not the freezer.
After rechecking the fans I didn't see anything that seemed amiss.
Continued diagnosis revealed the plastic divider between the bottom doors was not completely rotating closed when shutting the left door and it was actually gapped open about 1/8". You couldn't see it but you could feel the cold air pouring out when you got close enough.

Pulling the divider completely towards the front of the fridge solved the temp problem.
I've not examined the divider yet to determine why it isn't closing completely and for now, anytime we have opened the left door, we just give it a pull forward on the divider before we close the right door. Great temps again!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
We have the sister Flagstaff 8529IKBS but it has the same 1350 refrigerator.
We too struggled to get the refrigerator to acceptable temps.
Ours has the same factory fans as in your photo. I added a 80 cfm ball bearing fan at the bottom blowing up and cut a hole in the two pieces of wood (second photo) and installed a 120 cfm ball bearing fan blowing out, at the top vent.

These fans work way better than the factory fans and are so quiet you can't hear them.
I wired them so they run anytime the fridge is on. Easy to do from the existing relay mounted to the rear of the fridge. The noisy factory fans never even come on now.
Temps were consistently at 0 for the freezer and 32-35 for the fridge.

About three trips out after adding the fans, we experienced higher temps in the fridge but not the freezer.
After rechecking the fans I didn't see anything that seemed amiss.
Continued diagnosis revealed the plastic divider between the bottom doors was not completely rotating closed when shutting the left door and it was actually gapped open about 1/8". You couldn't see it but you could feel the cold air pouring out when you got close enough.

Pulling the divider completely towards the front of the fridge solved the temp problem.
I've not examined the divider yet to determine why it isn't closing completely and for now, anytime we have opened the left door, we just give it a pull forward on the divider before we close the right door. Great temps again!
What are the boards for in the upper vent? They must have some function. I was thinking of removing them but didn't want to ruin the original installation. Is the relay you wired the fans to in the lower vent area? Do you have the model numbers or pictures of the fans you installed?
Old 08-09-2016, 04:29 AM   #9

Yes hinges..
davidjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:31 AM   #10

RV Cooling Units

I would highly recommend the interior fridge fans and the exterior fan kits from rvcoolingunit.com

Internal fan:
http://rvcoolingunit.com/Dometic-Eva...-P2428153.aspx

External fan kit:
http://rvcoolingunit.com/Dometic-add...-P3261872.aspx
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
jtatum65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:29 AM   #11
Site Team

Do you mind doing a little work to see if we can figure this out?

1) Measure from the bottom of the bottom vent to the top of the top vent.

2) Take a picture from the bottom vent looking up toward the fans.

3) If you see a baffle of any sort measure the distance between the edge of it and the absorber coils. It should be about an inch.

4) If you can, measure the distance from the floor to the vent fans. it should be 44½". You may have to go about it backwards by measuring up to the top vent and back down to the fans and subtracting.

I see no where in the service manual that says anything about blocking off part of the upper vent. I'm not sure that's hurting you much, but it certainly could be.

I do see on page 35, an air channel that extends up about half way or a little more above the top vent opening. Maybe that's what they were trying to accomplish.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:35 AM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstaffon View Post
What are the boards for in the upper vent? They must have some function. I was thinking of removing them but didn't want to ruin the original installation. Is the relay you wired the fans to in the lower vent area? Do you have the model numbers or pictures of the fans you installed?
I never got a good answer from the factory for their purpose of the boards.
A fellow who I consider 'in the know' said they help prevent cavitation of the air at the top of the box from the factory fans. Your guess is a good as any.

Yes, the relay attached to the right rear lower of the refrigerator is where I got 12v. It supplies the voltage for the factory fans.

I didn't take pictures as there are LOTS of discussions (here and elsewhere) about adding fans to a slide-out mounted refrigerator with photos. I could take some if you feel necessary.

The objective with the fans in a slide-out mounted refrigerator is to create enough air flow to simulate the natural air flow (heat rises) obtained when a refrigerator has a roof mounted top vent. You don't want too much though where it disturbs the flame mixture when on propane.

One fan at the bottom blowing up and one at the top, blowing out the upper side vent, does the trick.

With this set-up it should be able to hold a sheet of paper to the outside of the lower grill when they are on.

There are TONS of fans available on the 'net. Pick your favorite flavor.
**HERE** is one I used.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:49 AM   #13

Air doesn't cavitate; water does.

"Cavitation is the formation of vapour cavities in a liquid – i.e. small liquid-free zones ("bubbles" or "voids") – that are the consequence of forces acting upon the liquid."

Maybe he meant "stagnate?"

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:14 AM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post

"Cavitation is the formation of vapour cavities in a liquid – i.e. small liquid-free zones ("bubbles" or "voids") – that are the consequence of forces acting upon the liquid."

Just using his words.
Maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Do you mind doing a little work to see if we can figure this out?

1) Measure from the bottom of the bottom vent to the top of the top vent.

2) Take a picture from the bottom vent looking up toward the fans.

3) If you see a baffle of any sort measure the distance between the edge of it and the absorber coils. It should be about an inch.

4) If you can, measure the distance from the floor to the vent fans. it should be 44½". You may have to go about it backwards by measuring up to the top vent and back down to the fans and subtracting.

I see no where in the service manual that says anything about blocking off part of the upper vent. I'm not sure that's hurting you much, but it certainly could be.

I do see on page 35, an air channel that extends up about half way or a little more above the top vent opening. Maybe that's what they were trying to accomplish.
I'll have to take those measurements the next time I bring the camper home. It's in storage right now and I can't access that side of the camper.

Regarding the boards, I think I understand. The boards are forcing all of the air upward through the fins instead of letting some of the air short-circuit the path and exit the upper vent before passing through the fins. I also think I can install a baffle above the fins that curves and directs the air out through the vent. Right now it's a 90 degree angle at the top of the vent. I'm also talking to Dometic to see what they recommend. I would hate to void any warranty at this point.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post

Yeah, I knew what he meant though. He meant to say turbulent air flow as apposed to laminar air flow. I think if I install a baffle at the top, I'll get laminar air flow all the way up through the fins from the boards and then directed out the vent by the baffle. Thanks!
Old 08-09-2016, 05:05 PM   #17

Quote:
I never got a good answer from the factory for their purpose of the boards.
A fellow who I consider 'in the know' said they help prevent cavitation of the air at the top of the box from the factory fans. Your guess is a good as any.

Yes, the relay attached to the right rear lower of the refrigerator is where I got 12v. It supplies the voltage for the factory fans.

I didn't take pictures as there are LOTS of discussions (here and elsewhere) about adding fans to a slide-out mounted refrigerator with photos. I could take some if you feel necessary.

The objective with the fans in a slide-out mounted refrigerator is to create enough air flow to simulate the natural air flow (heat rises) obtained when a refrigerator has a roof mounted top vent. You don't want too much though where it disturbs the flame mixture when on propane.

One fan at the bottom blowing up and one at the top, blowing out the upper side vent, does the trick.

With this set-up it should be able to hold a sheet of paper to the outside of the lower grill when they are on.

There are TONS of fans available on the 'net. Pick your favorite flavor.
**HERE** is one I used.
Would you recommend attaching the fans to the vent covers on both the upper and lower? ... I've seen drawings with a fan attached to the upper vent cover but not seen pictures of where to attach the fan. Sorry to be so inquisitive..
Old 08-09-2016, 05:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Just using his words.
Maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut.
I knew what you meant...
Old 08-09-2016, 07:25 PM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Would you recommend attaching the fans to the vent covers on both the upper and lower? ... I've seen drawings with a fan attached to the upper vent cover but not seen pictures of where to attach the fan. Sorry to be so inquisitive..
You could, I chose not to but have read where many have. The down side would be you'd almost need to put a connector in the wiring so if you wanted to remove the vet cover you could unplug the attached fan. Simple enough.

I cut a hole and mounted mine to the boards. (see modification of your photo for placement)

I figured the extra couple inches away from the vent surface would allow more air flow than mounting directly to the vent cover since there is a considerable amount of blockage to the fan from the solid horizontal bars molded in the vent cover if the fan was mounted directly to it.

I mounted it off to the side instead of centered in case I needed to mount a second one. Once installed and seen how well it worked, I didn't feel the need for two at the top.

I placed my lower fan flat on a couple 1" standoffs so the air blows up the back side of the fridge pulling in air from the lower vent cover.
The top fan is vertical so it blows out the vent cover.

I'd snap you some photos but my slide is currently out and is only about 8" from the side of my garage outside wall and I can't squeeze in there to take pictures. I will do it next time I put the slide in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	upper vent.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	312.2 KB
ID:	116768  

Old 08-09-2016, 07:30 PM   #20
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote: