Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2013, 07:47 AM   #1

Door hinge

Anyone know how the hinge comes apart? The bottom hinge (attached to the screen) is binding and making an awful noise. Ive tried spraying it with WD 40 but to no avail. I think I need to take is apart as the oil isnt getting into the pin.

thanks
Old 08-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #2

Looks like pin mashed liks a rivit. One way assembly.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #3

I was afraid of that. thanks
Old 08-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Get a small drill bit and drill a hole thru the hinge tube only and squirt oil in the hole. May have to drill all 3 of the tubes. Ours has a small gap between the hinge tubes to allow oil. WD40 is not a lubricant.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
WD40 is not a lubricant.
MAy I ask why it is not a lubricant? I always thought it has lubrication properties, a light lubricant. Also this is from WD40's website

What does WD-40 Multi-Use Product do?

WD-40 Multi-Use Product fulfills five basic functions:
1. LUBRICATES: The product's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and tenaciously held to all moving parts.
2. PENETRATES: WD-40 Multi-Use Product loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.
3. PROTECTS: The product protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.
4. REMOVES: WD-40 Multi-Use Product gets under dirt, grime and grease. Use it to remove gunk from tools, equipment and vehicles. WD-40 Multi-Use Product in liquid form (e.g., gallon) also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of excess bonding material.
5. DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because it displaces moisture, WD-40 Multi-Use Product quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acableguy06 View Post
MAy I ask why it is not a lubricant?
I should have been more specific, it is not a long lasting lubricant like lithium based lubricants. It's major use is as a water displacement which is implicated by the name. Story is it was the 40th formula the scientists tried, thus the name WD40.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I should have been more specific, it is not a long lasting lubricant like lithium based lubricants. It's major use is as a water displacement which is implicated by the name. Story is it was the 40th formula the scientists tried, thus the name WD40.
Gotcha, I agree, it sure isn't long lasting.
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #8

I had the same problem, but one of the main door hinges. It was really bad, put a lot of stress on the hinges and screws, and made the most aweful noises. I removed the plastic spacers to get oil in there, no luck. I cut the bottom flare off the pin, and tried to hammer the pin out, no luck. I think the pin is slightly bent. I removed the hinge screws from the door, and folded that single hinge segment back so it's not used. The door now hangs from the other two (or are there three others? can't recall) hinges only, but swings perfectly now, silent. I'll have to replace the entire hinge if I want it fixed, but since rivets are used there is some work involved. I'll likely leave it now, since I don't see anything wrong with it mechanically with the lower hinge out of use.
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOC View Post
I had the same problem, but one of the main door hinges. It was really bad, put a lot of stress on the hinges and screws, and made the most aweful noises. I removed the plastic spacers to get oil in there, no luck. I cut the bottom flare off the pin, and tried to hammer the pin out, no luck. I think the pin is slightly bent. I removed the hinge screws from the door, and folded that single hinge segment back so it's not used. The door now hangs from the other two (or are there three others? can't recall) hinges only, but swings perfectly now, silent. I'll have to replace the entire hinge if I want it fixed, but since rivets are used there is some work involved. I'll likely leave it now, since I don't see anything wrong with it mechanically with the lower hinge out of use.
Thought of that too but the screen hangs funny without it. I might try and make a small hole and try and lube it up. thx everyone
Old 09-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #10

drilled a few holes and tried to fill it with oil... no such. It may not be as bad, but still makes a terrible. I might just remove that section of hinge off the screen door and use it like that. Its the rear bedroom door anyway so it doesnt get a lot of use.

Tags
door