Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2014, 05:02 PM   #1

Drawers comes out

I can't imagine this is a new problem but couldn't find a previous thread addressing the issue. The roller slides that are supposed to keep the drawers closed, don't do a very good job as some of the drawers migrate open during travel. The previous owner ordered replacement slides but that didn't help. I've shimmed some of the drawer slides and that's helped a little. I've repositioned some slides-fore or aft, and that's helped a little. Still, the slides don't lock closed when installed as they do loose in my hand. Is there something more obvious that I'm missing?
robertew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #2

Try these
Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1412640942.263273.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  19.2 KB

2015 Rockwood Ultralite 2905ss
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L
HappyCamper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #3

$.83 each

http://m.hardwarehut.com/mobile-prod...p?p_ref=259858

2015 Rockwood Ultralite 2905ss
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L
HappyCamper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #4

I'm sure this would do the job but I'd really like to master why the slides with the integrated locks don't work. Perhaps these could be installed under the drawer so they didn't scrape a person's hand.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #5

I used baby proof cabinet locks with great success (cheap too).
stallsmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #6
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I had to put them on cabinet doors. Of course after tearing it off with the slider, D'oh...
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:17 PM   #7

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
I had to put them on cabinet doors. Of course after tearing it off with the slider, D'oh...
I can understand that. When we brought your unit home after swapping the contents in the rain and in the dealer's lot, as I was opening the slide, I noticed-in a nick of time, the drawer was behind the slide! It was clear open against the slide. I could just imagine how much damage it would have done to the cabinet and perhaps the slide.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:08 AM   #8
2012 Solera

I don't believe the factory latches are sufficient for travel unless you keep the drawers VERY lightly loaded. I did this mod: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...vel-28053.html.
Works great and is quite convenient.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:18 AM   #9

Here's what I used. They work and are not visible. They are available at all hardware stores.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallsmi View Post

Here's what I used. They work and are not visible. They are available at all hardware stores.
Thanks for posting. The cupboard doors aren't the problem. It the drawers-some of them-like the ones that migrate open behind the slide and the one under the oven, which don't like to stay closed during travel. The original owner used one of the couch pillows for the latter problem after the drawer had come open and marred the door under the sink. These ball bearing slides have such good closed retention when they are in your hands so something just isn't perfect when they are installed. I've shimmed them front and back and moved them forward and they work better, yet they still could use improvement.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertew View Post
Thanks for posting. The cupboard doors aren't the problem. It the drawers-some of them-like the ones that migrate open behind the slide and the one under the oven, which don't like to stay closed during travel. The original owner used one of the couch pillows for the latter problem after the drawer had come open and marred the door under the sink. These ball bearing slides have such good closed retention when they are in your hands so something just isn't perfect when they are installed. I've shimmed them front and back and moved them forward and they work better, yet they still could use improvement.
These also work on drawers as well. I successfully use them in my TT
Old 10-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #12

I'd install a magnetic catch to keep them closed. Time spent fixing this problem could be spent camping and drinking beer!

2008 Forest River Micro-Lite 18FBR
2000 Ford Explorer Sports Trac
WBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #13

That was just an example. More such products:
Old 10-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #14
Always Learning

A lot of childproofing projects can be actively disabled once you're at camp and re-enabled when you go to breakdown camp. That would keep their annoyance factor down while you're using the camper but save you when you're traveling.

I have the "bulldogs" indicated in the 2nd post on the thread and still experience my drawers opening up. They are installed on the bottom side of the draw to save my hands.