Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #21
Playtime III

Almost always on. At Norfolk, VA both major tunnels require you to turn off the propane before entering. Baltimore won't let you in their tunnel with 20-30lb bottles (turned on or off)
800 wd/dual cam sc
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #22

mine stays on
SALTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #23
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
To be real safe I use a cooler with ice in it.I never slide it across the carpet while at a fuel stop,it might cause static electricty and blow up the fuel station. My wife makes sure no one drives up to the other side of the pump island while we are getting fuel,as well as not starting their vehicle until I am finished fueling. Ignition & starters two biggest spark producers. One can never be too safe! Youroo!!
No offense, but I hope I don't encounter your wife at a gas station, we just might have a discussion with me pulling up to the other side of the pump.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #24

If you walk around a new Rv you will see about 30 Warning! labels. Haven't seen one on the refrigerator of any RV yet. Mine stays on...only thing I make sure is off is water pump.(even though there's no Warning! sticker on it!)
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #25
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime III View Post
Almost always on. At Norfolk, VA both major tunnels require you to turn off the propane before entering. Baltimore won't let you in their tunnel with 20-30lb bottles (turned on or off)
WOW - how or do they enforce the Baltimore law? It seems like they would have to stop every RV at the tunnel entrance and check for LP bottles.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
No offense, but I hope I don't encounter your wife at a gas station, we just might have a discussion with me pulling up to the other side of the pump.
Is your sarcasm meter broken?

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #27
DDC

Always on can't find a reason not to, if it was unsafe there would be warnings, gezz it tells you not to leave your seat after setting the cruise control if they thought of that everything is covered.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #28

Quote:
She doesnt talk to strangers,have a nice day! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #29
Mod free 5er

Quote:
To be real safe I use a cooler with ice in it.I never slide it across the carpet while at a fuel stop,it might cause static electricty and blow up the fuel station. My wife makes sure no one drives up to the other side of the pump island while we are getting fuel,as well as not starting their vehicle until I am finished fueling. Ignition & starters two biggest spark producers. One can never be too safe! Youroo!!
What I meant, was how does she stop other vehicles from pulling up and then starting their vehicle to leave. Doesn't take much, but I'm confused. How do you start you own vehicle if you're worried about ignitions & starters do you have an air starter?
Old 06-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #30
B47

Quote:
Youroo - I have a feeling you are going to get a lot of questions/comments regarding your wife playing pump guard!
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #31

always on, and on propane not 12v
stevem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo
Don't want to speak for youroo, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say this post may just be full of sarcasm toward being way too worried about things you shouldn't be! I don't know his wife, and she may very well club you with a baseball bat for other reasons, but pulling next to them at a gas stop is probably not one of them.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #33

As for getting a ticket in the Baltimore tunnel - ask Herk, he got that done, had to pay for the toll THEN had to pay the Trooper a $100.00 ticket - just to be sure. Yes, they DO CHECK all rvs. Just go around.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper View Post
Don't want to speak for youroo, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say this post may just be full of sarcasm toward being way too worried about things you shouldn't be! I don't know his wife, and she may very well club you with a baseball bat for other reasons, but pulling next to them at a gas stop is probably not one of them.
Bingo!! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #35
Mod free 5er

Quote:
... My wife makes sure no one drives up to the other side of the pump island while we are getting fuel,as well as not starting their vehicle until I am finished fueling. Ignition & starters two biggest spark producers. One can never be too safe! Youroo!!

We are all just wondering how your wife does this. "My wife makes sure no one drives up to the other side of the pump island while we are getting fuel,as well as not starting their vehicle until I am finished fueling."
Can't imagine how she accomplishes these two tasks.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #36

Quote:
We are all just wondering how your wife does this. "My wife makes sure no one drives up to the other side of the pump island while we are getting fuel,as well as not starting their vehicle until I am finished fueling."
Can't imagine how she accomplishes these two tasks.
So are you being sarcastic now? You do realize that youroo's original post was complete sarcasm aimed at people that are cautious to the point of being paranoid.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #37
Paul & Sheri

Here is the only real issue about running a propane appliance. They're made to run on the road but:

To Run The Fridge On the Road Or Not??

it is illegal in every state to have an open flame or a running engine while re-fueling.

Answer: Stop and turn off the fridge and water heater short of approaching the pump. Why take a chance of a ticket or worse..........

Gasoline vapor is everywhere, not just near the pump you're using and highly explosive. Would you flick a Bic near a pump?
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #38
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwb01 View Post
...it is illegal in every state to have an open flame or a running engine while re-fueling...

Don't disagree with anything you posted, but being a pragmatist, look at all the times you are fueling or someone else is and you drive up in a vehicle and the engine is running and also while you are fueling, the guy next to you starts his engine. Sometimes the regulators get a little crazy with the rules. Most propane devices are a pretty good distance from the gas fumes. In most states, you can have an open flame heating device in your garage IF the flame is a minimum of 30" above the floor. Gas fumes are heavier than air and therefore are at ground level and at a gas station it is open air and the propane flames on rvs are all at probably 30" above the ground and are also shielded by doors, etc. Not really much of a danger in my opinion, but if you chose to turn them off, by all means do it.

Something else to ponder, you cannot smoke on a tarmac at an airport, but yet they start jet engines next to a plane that is refueling. Kinda makes you wonder doesn't it?
Old 07-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #39

Quote:
Something else to ponder, you cannot smoke on a tarmac at an airport, but yet they start jet engines next to a plane that is refueling. Kinda makes you wonder doesn't it?
I think the real reason why they dont want people smoking on a Tarmac is cause the cigarette butts become FOD (Foreign Object Damage) to the engines because most people that smoke do not throw the Butts in the trash - they litter the ground with them and then the possability of getting sucked up into the Intake is there.

whether that is the real case I am not sure but I know that this could be part of it and the fact that Jet Fuel is Highly Flammable too compared to the fuel we put in our vehicles

I worked on F/A-18's when I was in the corp and that was one of the things they said about safety

I have been out since 95 and things could have changed since then
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote