Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #1

Dry unit weight vs dry axle weight

I understand the dry weights all exclude liquids, clothes, dishes, etc. My new 8329ss has dry axle weight of 6267. Hitch weight of 883. Added together, they make up dry unit weight of 7150. So what is the actually weight of the trailer as it stands alone on a scale? The cargo capacity is 1600. Why do they add the hitch weight to the axle weight? We go to the dealer today to fit my truck to the trailer with equalizer hitch. It is still too cold here in Black Hills to get out, but plan some good trips late spring and summer.
oldgreymayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I checked your camper specs on the Forest River site...it shows a hitch weight of 883 and a ship weight of 7150 lbs...no mention of axle weight. If you were to unhitch it and scale only it as delivered, it should weigh 7150 lbs plus any dealer added weight such as propane, battery(s) and any other dealer installed options. If you did a 3 position weight on the scale (TV front/rear axles, camper axles) and repeated the TV front/rear axle weight without the camper, you'd be able to calculate the actual hitch weight and camper axle weight.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
Site Team

actually, FR's "dry" weight number(like nearly all RV manufacturers) doesn't include the weights of so-called "options", that nearly all trailers have. most of the time, that will add about 400lbs. to the dry weight when the trailer arrives from the factory.

i'll bet your trailer will weight around 7500lbs., on the dealer's lot, before you add water, propane, battery and cargo.
and your "dry" hitch weight will be much more, when loaded for camping.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #4

Thanks. Happy camping.
oldgreymayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Like stated previously, there are four weights you need to understand.

DRY weight - The "Brochure" weight, it is the "as designed" weight without any options.

Max Gross Vehicle Weight - The maximum the trailer's components can support. These components include frame, tires, brakes, and axles. The GVWR is the LOWEST of the maximums of these components. Normally, the frame drives this number and not the axles.

Unloaded Vehicle Weight - The "Yellow Sticker" weight, it is the weight of the camper as it leaves the factory on its way to the dealer. It includes all options installed by the factory and any engineering changes made after the brochures were printed.

PAYLOAD - The "Yellow Sticker" payload, it is the Unloaded Vehicle Weight SUBTRACTED from the Max Gross Vehicle weight.

Dealer additions, user modifications, user gear, water, propane, battery, clothes, food, water, etc. - fits in payload.

Here is my yellow sticker. The brochure said the DRY weight was 6660 and the GVWR 9015. The yellow sticker has the "AS MADE" weight and GVWR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blacked out.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	24083  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf flagstaff2010.pdf (4.57 MB, 89 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle