Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2015, 07:22 AM   #21
Mod free 5er

The replacement arm will fit either end of the awning and has nothing to do with the electrical end of the awning regardless of what the instructions say.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:15 AM   #22

To go back in history in regard to (WHY) owners complained about the (NEW Elect. Awning)! They retained Water,they would NOT LOWER for additional SHADE,and they needed a Step ladder to add/thread a Sun screen! The Factory made a KIT that had (2) slotted arms so all of the above were addressed! The arms were Identical! Without (2) arms ONLY the (Tilt for Rain Runoff) would come into play,No drop for Shade on one side,and Very High Sunshade threading on one side also! The (2) slotted adjustable arm Kit converted the (OLD Style) to the (NEW Style ) we have Today! TWO (2) slotted arms! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:20 AM   #23
Mod free 5er

youroo is correct, Dometic furnished 2 slotted arms in the kit. I got 2 kits, one directly from Dometic as I had been in touch with the engineers when I sent them my cad dwgs of shortening the arm to get a permanent tilt. Tom Johnson (our dealer) also sent me a kit with 2 arms. I gave both sets away to other folks in FL.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:37 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparty047 View Post
BTW

You mentioned the powered awning does not look as sturdy. No RV awning (manual or powered) is supposed to be left deployed in high winds....so having one you can close at the push of a switch actually makes it easier to avoid "losing ye mizzenmast"

If you have previously adjusted one arm to create a runoff slope; retracting the awning will "reset" the arms as it retracts. Does anyone know if it's best to loosen the set knob before retracting the awning.....in other words....does one risk stripping anything? Owners manual does'nt seem to address this.

Thanks
I understand they are not meant to be left out in bad storms. I was just making an observation. The old type was fastened on bottom (at the frame?) giving it more strength I think. I do love the idea of just having to push a button and not having to stand in the rain to rool it in, you don't get wet this way.

Yes, I would loosen the lock knob before retracting it. I don't know about stripping anything but you may risk bending the arm. For the couple of seconds it takes why take a chance? After all, the knob is designed to lock the arm in place. Dropping a corner helps prevent pooling in the middle stretching the fabric in the middle.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
I understand they are not meant to be left out in bad storms. I was just making an observation. The old type was fastened on bottom (at the frame?) giving it more strength I think. I do love the idea of just having to push a button and not having to stand in the rain to rool it in, you don't get wet this way.

Yes, I would loosen the lock knob before retracting it. I don't know about stripping anything but you may risk bending the arm. For the couple of seconds it takes why take a chance? After all, the knob is designed to lock the arm in place. Dropping a corner helps prevent pooling in the middle stretching the fabric in the middle.

Jim
You are talking about a (Manual) when you talk Secured to the Frame,not what this Post is about! Also the OP has NO Knobs on his Elect Awninig either! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:48 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Not necessarily true, you can permanently get a 6"-8" slope by cutting 2" off the end of the arm on the awning end you want lower.
I can hang a weight off the corner I want to lower also. Why do any of this if they will supply the parts to correct the problem the right way?

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:52 AM   #27
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
I can hang a weight off the corner I want to lower also. Why do any of this if they will supply the parts to correct the problem the right way?

Jim
When I did the shortening, Dometic was still searching for a way to get the tilt. There were no slotted arms available. I was just pointing out an alternative.

Tags
awning, electric, rockwood