Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2015, 10:18 AM   #1

Cool electric awning, 2008 Rockwood

This is the first trailer I owned with an electric awning and I got no info with or about it about it. Because of medical reason I love just having to push a button and it goes in and out. However it does not look as sturdy as the pull out awning I have owned in the past. I see no way to lower one corner to let rain run off on one side or to adjust the height of it. Am I missing something?

Someone suggested I roll it in when it rains which is stupid, that is when I need it the most.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:50 PM   #2

Post a picture of awning when open and also extension arm...in the meantime here is a video on electric awning operation....

Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:40 AM   #3

Go to any RV dealer parts dept. and ask for the adjustable arm for your Dometic awning. The first ones out did not have the adjustable arm but the are available for replacement. AND....they are free! Takes about 15 minutes to replace the non-adjustable arm. When I got mine....the dealer I went to had about 6 in stock and they said they were very popular. If they do not have one....they can order it. No cost.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
Go to any RV dealer parts dept. and ask for the adjustable arm for your Dometic awning. The first ones out did not have the adjustable arm but the are available for replacement. AND....they are free! Takes about 15 minutes to replace the non-adjustable arm. When I got mine....the dealer I went to had about 6 in stock and they said they were very popular. If they do not have one....they can order it. No cost.
I hope this is still in effect,they have not used (None slotted arms) for a LONG time. Yes they were replacing the arms for free,but that was a LONG time ago! If the OP has luck with this (Recall ONLY when ask by the Owner) arm change Please let us Know! Thanks, Youroo!! PS The arms come as a (Set of Two) both must be installed!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:31 AM   #5

Would it be possible to have the original arms milled?
Old 05-10-2015, 08:35 AM   #6

Thank you everyone for the information and your quick replies. I will check with a dealer about replacement arms. Even if I have to buy them they will be worth it to me. I will post here what I find out and if I need to buy them I will post the cost of them.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Thank you everyone for the information and your quick replies. I will check with a dealer about replacement arms. Even if I have to buy them they will be worth it to me. I will post here what I find out and if I need to buy them I will post the cost of them.

Jim
Thanks Jim! Youroo!!
Old 05-10-2015, 12:41 PM   #8
2016 Shamrock 183 Hybrid

BTW

You mentioned the powered awning does not look as sturdy. No RV awning (manual or powered) is supposed to be left deployed in high winds....so having one you can close at the push of a switch actually makes it easier to avoid "losing ye mizzenmast"

If you have previously adjusted one arm to create a runoff slope; retracting the awning will "reset" the arms as it retracts. Does anyone know if it's best to loosen the set knob before retracting the awning.....in other words....does one risk stripping anything? Owners manual does'nt seem to address this.

Thanks
sparty047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparty047 View Post
BTW

You mentioned the powered awning does not look as sturdy. No RV awning (manual or powered) is supposed to be left deployed in high winds....so having one you can close at the push of a switch actually makes it easier to avoid "losing ye mizzenmast"

If you have previously adjusted one arm to create a runoff slope; retracting the awning will "reset" the arms as it retracts. Does anyone know if it's best to loosen the set knob before retracting the awning.....in other words....does one risk stripping anything? Owners manual does'nt seem to address this.
Yep...been there! I once forgot to put the awning in at night and crazy Rocky Mountain winds came and I almost lost it before I could jump out of bed and close it! (Entire camper was rocking like a grizzly was shaking it!)

And if you do have to roll it up wet, unroll it and let it dry at the earliest time else you'll get mold and mildew in there...not fun!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:34 PM   #10
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparty047 View Post
BTW

Thanks
I loosen mine... these awning motors are not very powerful, so as not to create more resistance, loosen 'em.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:41 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

I never tighten either end. I just tie them down with the slope in the torsion end because it is opposite the door.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:58 PM   #12
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I never tighten either end. I just tie them down with the slope in the torsion end because it is opposite the door.
X2 But did before having poles.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
I loosen mine... these awning motors are not very powerful, so as not to create more resistance, loosen 'em.
The OPs Awning has (NO Knobs) so all this talk is nill until he finds parts for his Old style awning! Youroo!!
Old 05-10-2015, 09:35 PM   #14
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
The OPs Awning has (NO Knobs) so all this talk is nill until he finds parts for his Old style awning! Youroo!!
Somebody asked....
Old 05-10-2015, 09:40 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Not necessarily true, you can permanently get a 6"-8" slope by cutting 2" off the end of the arm on the awning end you want lower.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:54 PM   #16

OP is trying to find the (KIT) to change his arms like they are on the newer awning! He would not waht to (Hack/Butcher) his arms! He may want to throw the awning water off the other end? Youroo!!
Old 05-10-2015, 10:05 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
OP is trying to find the (KIT) to change his arms like they are on the newer awning! He would not waht to (Hack/Butcher) his arms! He may want to throw the awning water off the other end? Youroo!!
You can throw it off either end you want, I did it on the motor end and it is not hacking/butchering anything. Ours worked fine for 4 years with one arm shortened.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:05 PM   #18
Left Coast

Quote:
Or not.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:22 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Or not.
Besides, cutting 2" off an arm eliminates the need for the adjustable ones in case they cannot be obtained.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:03 AM   #20

I know for a fact the adjustable arms are still available. A friend of mine just got his for free. And when I got mine a little over a year ago...the kit is ONE arm only on the side opposite the electric cable. And this was direct from Dometic.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, electric, rockwood