Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #1

electric awning

My unit came with a Dometic electric awning. This is the first TT that I have had that has one. I have not used it yet. Is there any pros and cons that I need to know about? It ia a 17' awning. Any input would be nice. Thanks
gserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Enjoy it. It works great.

Watch the winds. If it gets to flapping be quick about getting it in unless you have a set of OC's home made awning poles. (Plans for the brackets are in the library) http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...do=file&id=117

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post640465

Also leave about 1/4 wrap of awning material on the roller. Do not over extend it. The extra support will keep that long roller from sagging, rain water from pooling in the "gutter" (see photo of over extended awning), and help prevent material creep along the retention groove.

Material creep is caused by wind flapping unloading the roller allowing the material to slide with the wind. When retracted, the skewed material will pull the arms out of square causing binding and failure to close.

Many folks "pop rivet" the awning material in place (see same photo) when it is centered just right so the arms retract cleanly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2713704920103306375S500x500Q85.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	56822  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, electric