Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2017, 09:18 AM   #1

Electric movers for a 5th wheel

Help and advice please, I live in the UK and have problems on UK camp sites 1st the sites are small and you reverse in if you have a European/US van the door is on the other side of the van and so they like you to turn the van around.

This cannot be done with a 5th wheel.

So I wondered if I changed the feet on the front landing wheels to jockey wheels and fitted electric travel trailer movers to the wheels would this enable me to move the 5th wheel around?.
A problem you do not have in the US but I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks
Ray
kerandire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerandire View Post
Help and advice please, I live in the UK and have problems on UK camp sites 1st the sites are small and you reverse in if you have a European/US van the door is on the other side of the van and so they like you to turn the van around.

So I wondered if I changed the feet on the front landing wheels to jockey wheels and fitted electric travel trailer movers to the wheels would this enable me to move the 5th wheel around?.

Thanks
Ray
This sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. The landing gear seem too small for any kind of stress except straight down. We're talking about what, at least a ton of weight here?

If you try it, please make a video. This I gotta see =P

edit -- And this is coming from a guy who has actually uttered the words (more than once), "Hold my beer and watch this!"

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m35a2 View Post
This sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. The landing gear seem too small for any kind of stress except straight down. We're talking about what, at least a ton of weight here?

If you try it, please make a video. This I gotta see =P

edit -- And this is coming from a guy who has actually uttered the words (more than once), "Hold my beer and watch this!"
Agree 100%! Youroo!!
Old 07-19-2017, 07:49 AM   #4

Parkit 360 makes a unit (transformer) that attaches to the kingpin. This unit can also be used for a regular ball trailer. I am not associated with Parkit nor do I own one. I did do research a few years back on this topic.
stevem4134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem4134 View Post
Parkit 360 makes a unit (transformer) that attaches to the kingpin. This unit can also be used for a regular ball trailer. I am not associated with Parkit nor do I own one. I did do research a few years back on this topic.
We purchased the Parkit360 Transformer - it works well. Considering taking it with on our trip this year - we're camping at a friends place and there is no wiggle room to get into the area with electricy and water. Expensive - yes. Does the job - definitely.

had a 2015 Rockwood 8281 WS - traded for another brand.
2016 RAM 3500
DNBINFV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:53 PM   #6

If you want to do this, make sure that the landing gear is retracted. As was said, they can't take sideways stress unless they are retracted up. Be careful that any wheels you put on it are powered. Don't forget, jockeying something around that heavy without the braking power of a truck can make your 5er go out of control, especially if there is any grade at all.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:03 AM   #7

2nd Thoughts

I have also thought about dropping something down from the pin with a wheel on and back to the two front sides of the van, but its a lot of work and money if it fails!.
I am going to have to bite the bullet and pay through the nose for a mover which over her costs £3500 so on todays rate about $4700 but only one dealer sells them.

Thanks for your help
kerandire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerandire View Post

Thanks
Ray
I bought a power mover (out of Ocean Side Ca.) and love it. However it's not a device you would pack to a camp site. I'm unable to back our 31 ft. Rockwood 5th wheel In our side yard (too narrow and a 2% driveway grade ) This unit handles it well. Had to build a home made device to bridge the gap between the mover and the tong, this device also works well. See attached picture......
Rick Titus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, electric, wheel