Old 07-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindJammer2012 View Post
There should be another 15 amp fuse in the distribution center (breaker box). One for each front and rear stabilizer. It should be next to the one that you pulled and maybe unmarked. I have a 15 amp fuse for each one.
The internal fuse will be inside your trailer and near the same location as the switch perhaps behind a drawer or inside a cabinet.
Herk's excellent photos helped me a great deal when I installed power stabilizers in my trailer. I blew one of the 15 amp fuses by holding the switch too long while retracting the stabilizer.
This is a good point. You may have found the wrong stabilizer fuse in the power panel. The PDF I posted has the switch wiring diagram and you may be able to remove the switch without removing the wires (Check for voltage across the middle two wires) and using a jumper wire "test" around the switch to try and get the motor to run.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesb2 View Post
My 2009 Rockwood rear electric stabilizer jack just stopped working...Any suggestions on what to try?
I had to put a new motor on mine. Water got into the housing.
That being said, before you start pulling stuff apart try two things:
1) Have someone hold the switch in the "extend" position while you turn the manual crank. Repeat for "retract." Do this several times. If there is corrosion on the brushes or armature, this may clean it off enough to have the motor start working. (Mine did, but it is under warranty so I replaced it.) This will eliminate fuses, switch and wiring as a problem.
2) Using a knife, cut away insulation on the wire going to the motor. The red one is hot, the black is ground. Using a meter or a test light, check for current on the red wire. This, too, will isolate the problem as the motor.

Teach

2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
That being said, before you start pulling stuff apart try two things:
1) Have someone hold the switch in the "extend" position while you turn the manual crank. Repeat for "retract." Do this several times. If there is corrosion on the brushes or armature, this may clean it off enough to have the motor start working. (Mine did, but it is under warranty so I replaced it.) This will eliminate fuses, switch and wiring as a problem.
2) Using a knife, cut away insulation on the wire going to the motor. The red one is hot, the black is ground. Using a meter or a test light, check for current on the red wire. This, too, will isolate the problem as the motor.

Teach
FYI - There is a warning in the manual (Page 6) about not doing this without removing the fuses in the camper. (I don't know what it can damage, though).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rear Stab Jack-Web.pdf (872.4 KB, 304 views)

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #14

I have had the opposite problem with my 8310 SS bought in Nov 2012. The Lippert electric stabilizer jack turned on by itself when we were not home. The motor energized without anyone pushing the switch. The motor overextended the jack and destroyed it. Awaiting Forest River reply.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1wh2wq View Post
I have had the opposite problem with my 8310 SS bought in Nov 2012. The Lippert electric stabilizer jack turned on by itself when we were not home. The motor energized without anyone pushing the switch. The motor overextended the jack and destroyed it. Awaiting Forest River reply.
I would love to hear what FR has to say. Almost impossible without a very specific short on more than one specific pair of contacts. Shorting out just one will not complete the circuit to run the motor.

They will most likely want the switch sent to them before they will cover any repairs or replacements.

I think a local kid ran the stabs down.
They love pressing buttons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	814
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	35705  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0025d-electric-stabilizer-jack-instructions.pdf (38.8 KB, 258 views)

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #16

Electric jacks energized on their own

I wish I could blame a neighborhood kid. The corner where the switch sits was in bushes- very hard to access. Also, I have no neighborhood kids. I still suspect a bad switch. It was energizing a little bit on its own the weekend before while camping. It would turn on for one second and then off.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
As noted in post #3, water also got in mine. I ended up putting a drip loop in my power cable, to keep the water from running down it. Do you know how water was getting into yours?

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #18

Just finished the same mod as Old Coot. My rear switch is directly in lie with the rain spout. After failing twice, it made sense to cover 'em up. Hardest part of the job was removing the Lippert sticker - it was partially covered up by the switch box and I hate stickers anyway....
Cinrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #19

Electric jacks energized

Dealer found it to be a bad switch and under warranty
Old 08-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinrock View Post
Hardest part of the job was removing the Lippert sticker - it was partially covered up by the switch box and I hate stickers anyway....
They sure didn't skimp on the glue for those stickers. I took mine off too and Totally Awesome and some elbow grease finally got the glue off.

2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote