Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #1

Electric Stabilizers

I have a 2013 Rockwood #2604 - 30' long. From the first time out I have felt this trailer with Lippert Components electric stailizers has had too much bounce...way more than our previous 25' trailer with manual stabilizers. I was told by somoone at the dealer that it was due to the stabilizer not being attached directly to the frame. I should lower the stabilizers to a minimum to reduce flex. I made four 12" bases of two 2 x 10's seperated by a length of 4 x 4 in the middle. It a great as it use it laid on the sides for 9-1/2" , 6-1/2" or on end for 12" It reduces the stabilizer extension, but not necessarily the bounce. When camping after a day or so, due to the weight of the trailer and soft earth or gravel, I will
power the sabilizers to tighten any slack.
Outside of this and the penninsula topcabinets being to close to the outside edge (head bumps), I really like this trailer.
Any Ideas?
Richard Burkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Burkman View Post
I have a 2013 Rockwood #2604 - 30' long. From the first time out I have felt this trailer with Lippert Components electric stailizers has had too much bounce...way more than our previous 25' trailer with manual stabilizers. I was told by somoone at the dealer that it was due to the stabilizer not being attached directly to the frame. I should lower the stabilizers to a minimum to reduce flex. I made four 12" bases of two 2 x 10's seperated by a length of 4 x 4 in the middle. It a great as it use it laid on the sides for 9-1/2" , 6-1/2" or on end for 12" It reduces the stabilizer extension, but not necessarily the bounce. When camping after a day or so, due to the weight of the trailer and soft earth or gravel, I will
power the sabilizers to tighten any slack.
Outside of this and the penninsula topcabinets being to close to the outside edge (head bumps), I really like this trailer.
Any Ideas?
Your bounce is most likely coming from the fact that the middle of your camper is sitting on springs. A set of stabilizers or a couple screw jacks in front and/or behind your wheels will help. X-choks will help reduce back and forth movement.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
just a member

I have a 2015 windjammer it bounces also. I use the blocks,the x choke also the problem is the motor is not strong enough to hold the stabilizer in place it backs off. I reset mine every morning when I go out to drink coffee. Crawling under the camper to set screw Jack's kind of defeats the purpose of electric Jack's to me. So as my dealer says you live with the bounce I guess.

If you haven't grown up by age 50 you don't have to.
2015 Jammer 3006WK
2013 Toyota Tundra Platinum 4x4
handlebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

You might also be bending the flimsy legs. I reinforced my stab legs and only use a 1" block under each pad. With the extra set of elec jacks in front of the axle, I do believe I could manipulate all 3 sets of jacks and lift the camper. I wouldn't for fear of bending the frame, but with the homemade JT Strong arms and the jacks, I get no movement or bounce. I also have a self storing step support that stops the movement when someone uses the steps.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Burkman View Post
Any Ideas?
Yes, I do. Our 2604WS exhibits the same problem. It stems from the weight of the trailer sitting on that torsion bar suspension. My idea is that you have one of two options:
1) Add contraptions to unload the suspension (jack stands, bottle jacks, extra scissors jacks) or add braces, X-chocks, step supports, etc. with the accompanying transport, assembly time and (sometimes uncomfortable) physical effort.
OR
2) Live with it.
We chose option #2.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:57 AM   #6

I to have the elect stabilizers, though nice and easy to set, I to have the same bounce issue. On my 27' Shasta with the manual jacks, it never bounced, and now, its like a bounce house.

I'm getting a pair of X jacks for between my wheels and adding a scissor jack or two in the off season. Hopefully that helps with the "bounce" aspect of things.

The odd thing is when its out my house, I can get it solid and it never moves, at a CG, I can't get it solid. odd.
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:54 PM   #7
just a member

As OC said the step support helps also

If you haven't grown up by age 50 you don't have to.
2015 Jammer 3006WK
2013 Toyota Tundra Platinum 4x4
handlebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:07 PM   #8

Electric stabilisers are a piece of crap in my opinion.1 more thing to give you trouble
My trailer was equipped with them & hitch jack when we first saw our unit.
Before signing the deal...I had them all replaced by manual scissors jack at all 4 corners + a pair of scissors jack just in front of the axles and the tongue jack switched to a manual one.
The trailer is 35+' and it's not moving...the extra set in front of the axle makes all the difference.
I also shocke all 4 tires and use x chocks between them.
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Once we unhook, it takes all of 5 minutes to deploy the rear elec. stab jacks, elect. stab jack in front of the axles and set the step support. Rock steady. I like the elec. jacks, no pain, no strain, no storage.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Once we unhook, it takes all of 5 minutes to deploy the rear elec. stab jacks, elect. stab jack in front of the axles and set the step support. Rock steady. I like the elec. jacks, no pain, no strain, no storage.
I agree.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:31 PM   #11

Installed the four point Rieco ground control system. The rear jacks are located about 8" behind the rear wheels. Once the rig is level I deploy the rear stabilizer jacks. With all six points supporting the unit it's solid. Now maybe a step support and something like the JT armstrongs but we are happy with how solid the unit is.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:05 AM   #12
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
.... and set the step support.
Can you post a link to that support? I weigh 255# and that might help with step longevity as well.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
Can you post a link to that support? I weigh 255# and that might help with step longevity as well.
Sorry, no link, it is home made, but you can google them.

Amazon.com: Camco Mfg Sav-A-Step Brace 4-8 43681
Old 10-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #14

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
I also agree with OC concerning solidifying the steps,,,,,it made all the difference for us. Just stick some 2 X 12's under them.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, stabilizers