Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2011, 06:41 AM   #1

Electrical overload in Rockwood 2306

So I have had the new Rockwood 2306 for about a month. I have been able to camp 6 nights. I had a 16 ft. Funfinder with one electrical outlet and I was able to run the ceramic heater and the coffee pot without popping the breaker. In the Rockwood it pops the breaker after about 3 minutes. It seems unusual that a much bigger camper can not run both the heater and the coffee maker at the same time. The heater is one of the smaller units not the larger one.
I was wondering if anyone could advise me on what electrical items I can run at one time. I understand that different appliances use different watts.
Thanks!!
justennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:43 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

There might be several circuits in your camper. Find receptacles on 2 different circuits, and you should be good to go.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:47 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried plugging the coffee maker into the bathroom outlet and the heater into the kitchen outlet. I am wondering if there is something wrong with the electrical in the unit.
justennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

In my Surveyor, the kitchen and bath outlet, including the outside outlet are all on the only GFI circuit. My bedroom outlets are on a different circuit, not GFI protected.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:08 AM   #5

All my outlets inside and out are on the same breaker. If the coffee pot is on and the DW turns on the hair dryer, the internal breaker will trip. During the winter, I use a mid size room ceramic heater as we camp year round. The heater is fine, but turn on that coffee pot or hair dryer while the heater is runng and click, the breaker is off. I do have a solution! I have room for a couple more breakers in my power center, so a mod this summer will be to install a breaker and an outlet in the middle of the TT (near the entertainment area or under the fridge) just for the heater. Considering the current draw of the AC, which you aren't using when the heat is on, my calculations are that the heater can be on and the coffee pot OR the DW's hair dryer can be on at the same time.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrown1075 View Post
A I have room for a couple more breakers in my power center, so a mod this summer will be to install a breaker and an outlet in the middle of the TT (near the entertainment area or under the fridge) just for the heater. Considering the current draw of the AC, which you aren't using when the heat is on, my calculations are that the heater can be on and the coffee pot OR the DW's hair dryer can be on at the same time.
That should work....glad you came up with a doable solution.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #7

The number of watts available to use in a circuit is directly related to the supplied voltage. At 125V a 15 amp circuit can use up to 1875 watts. But at 110V the same circuit will max out at 1650 watts.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags