Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #1

Extended Warranties?

Hello forum,

We are new to the forum and are just about to pick up our new Rockwood 8260WS. I am pondering over extended warranty. Should I, or shouldn't I. Any input or past experiences would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks
Judal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judal View Post
Hello forum,

We are new to the forum and are just about to pick up our new Rockwood 8260WS. I am pondering over extended warranty. Should I, or shouldn't I. Any input or past experiences would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks
Buy a second year extension of the factory warranty. This duplicates the first year factory warranty. It is available through the dealer OR through Forest River. I paid $150.00 for my Flagstaff 29RLSS. But the rate may be $250.00, depending on the model of RV. In regards to the "after market" extended warranties, they are a waste of money. To many companies cease to exist after you purchase the warranty. I am SURE this comment will attract some rude postings! Standby for some interesting reading!
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #3

I agree. My second year warranty was only 150. Lady who wrote up the sale tried to argue for the extended warranty but I refused and glad I did.
roanmountaincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #4

We just bought our second Forest River product yesterday, and they told us the extended warranty does not cover everything that's covered under the first year's warranty. They gave us a list of the things that ARE covered in the second year, and it was pretty extensive. They also pointed out to us that all the major appliances have a two-year warranty in the first place.

We did not opt to do it because the few issues that did surface in our previous camper all happened during the first year. The next 2.5 years were pretty uneventful. However, results may vary. You never know.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #5

Thanks to those who have replied so far. I should have mentioned, this 2013 RV had been owned for six month so the factory warranty is non transferable. He decided it was to small and brought it back for a lager unit. Anyway that leaves me with the private extended warranty. It ranges from 1200 dollars for one year all the way to 1700 for four years coverage. Seems expensive.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
Always Learning

IMO, without a factory warrantly, I'd almost definitely opt for an extended warranty.

They're usually very negotiable (up to about 1/2 off) on the warranty price, though.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judal View Post
Anyway that leaves me with the private extended warranty. It ranges from 1200 dollars for one year all the way to 1700 for four years coverage. Seems expensive.
Lets see, 1 year for $1200, 4 years for $1700. If both warranty coverages are the same it's a no brainer.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
Owner/Operator

Extended Warranties, like any other type of insurance, are not created equal. There are companies that will look for any excuse to not honor the warranty, or will use the wording provided by a repair facility (circuit board versus printed wiring board) to deny a claim.

I worked in the RV Parts and Service industry for many years, and had a full time Warranty Claims person to handle the claims. Knowing what to submit on a claim is over 50% of the "battle".

Also through the years we've found that there are some Extended Warranties that we will NOT even try to deal with, as our money spent in the time and effort to receive payment results in a net loss.

There is one warranty that stands out as a reasonable company to deal with, and that is Xtra-Ride. We've found them prompt and fair in our dealings with them.

I am in no way associated with the company, other than as an intermediary customer, but thought the information might help others that are considering and Extended Warranty.

As a service provider, we often wind up being the "bad guy" when we have to tell a customer that a claim is denied. The worst cases were when a Yuma RV Dealer that was going out of business collected the premiums for numerous high dollar Extended Warranties, and then did not send the policies to the underwriter. People came in to find that they had no warranty (no record at the underwriter). Had to almost dodge bullets on those.

Like any other insurance, you don't need it UNTIL you need it. Just read the policy completely, and be aware of anything that YOU must do to satisfy the requirements like having your fridge and other items serviced annually. Many policies will deny claims if the preventive maintenance is not done.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #9

I put extended warranty on mine as we were in the same situation. Different prices in our case meant more or less things were covered, get them to show you what is covered for this price and then the next step up etc...

I maxed mine out at 4 years as it covered the most and in my opinion it covered the things that I figured would be in that age to be replaced or having issue with time frame. I have already used part of my extended plan once already, It's half paid for..!

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #10

Well thanks to all your forums replies. I went with the 4 year extended if for anything, peace of mind. Hope it will never be needed.

Thanks