Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2015, 01:16 PM   #1

Extended Warranty or not?

Getting ready to pick up 8280ws on Thursday and wondered what the general consensus is on the Extended Warranty that is offered. $100 deductible and everything is covered for six years other than misuse/abuse and wearable items. Coverage is for 6 years and increases monthly payment by $10 a month.
Arberry0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:22 PM   #2
Site Team

$720 for six years isn't horrible. Just read the fine print to see exactly what is/isn't covered. Also check to see if any required yearly maintenance is needed and how much that would cost. That's where they can really stick you.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:25 PM   #3

The payment would actually be increased for the duration of the loan. (15 years). The dealership also has an RV Warranty forever program that requires a $199 per year check-up that covers major components but not really bumper to bumper as the extended warranty.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:33 PM   #4
Site Team

Check this thread out as well.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:52 PM   #5

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #6

I just went with the optional 2nd year from FR. I declined the 6 year from the dealer.

If you do want it I would consider paying for it separately and not adding it into the loan. The reason being is that the warranty is for 6 years but the loan is for 15, so after the first 6 years you are paying for something that you aren't getting or currently using, not to mention you are still paying interest on it at that point too.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post
I just went with the optional 2nd year from FR. I declined the 6 year from the dealer.

If you do want it I would consider paying for it separately and not adding it into the loan. The reason being is that the warranty is for 6 years but the loan is for 15, so after the first 6 years you are paying for something that you aren't getting or currently using, not to mention you are still paying interest on it at that point too.
The salesmen always conveniently forget to mention this fact when selling the coverage. They just trump up the fact that it's "only" an extra $10 a month.

Go with the 2nd year from FR and put an extra $10 a month into a savings account. You'll be better off in the long run.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:16 PM   #8

My opinion...NEVER EVER buy extended warranties !
I never do, on anything...car,truck,tractors,farm equipment...NEVER.
I bought the 2nd year from Forest River for 150$ and that's it.
Take that 2000$ and pay yourself some good camping time.
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #9

second year from Forest River is a good deal. Put $10 mo in savings and you will be money ahead.
R&J Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arberry0424 View Post
The payment would actually be increased for the duration of the loan. (15 years). The dealership also has an RV Warranty forever program that requires a $199 per year check-up that covers major components but not really bumper to bumper as the extended warranty.
The "RV Warranty Forever" is a new warranty being offered for the first time this year (at least around here).

I had it explained to me from a reputable dealer (so I know it is not BS ) and it sounds like a decent deal and a good marketing gimmick for the dealership since it does not cost YOU anything (they as a dealership have to buy into the base program). It does cover the big ticket items that you don't want to pay for. It also does NOT cover some big ticket items that you do not want to pay for

Here is where the additional "Wrap" protection comes in (Is this what your dealer is offering?) It covers virtually everything on the rig for as long as you own the rig. The cost scales based on the value of your rig - don't know what the cost would be for your rig but I DO know the cost of a Cardinal 3825FL is $1,800.00, so your cost should be lower than that.

The $199 annual inspection (at least by my dealer) is not that bad of a deal really (unless you REALLY want to DIY). For the money, they grease the zerks, check the brakes/axels/tires, inspect the roof and caulk as needed, lube the slides and gaskets, and even winterize if you want them to. For $200 that's a fairly decent deal for a lazy guy or for someone unfamiliar with all the stuff you need to maintain on a RV.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:36 PM   #11

2nd year from Forest River is a good deal. As to Extended Warranties offered by dealers I don't think you can trust them to cover your needs.
3.5L EcoBoost (12,200 Towing Capacity)

mcmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:11 PM   #12

Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like no extended warranty for me except for the FR one for $150. Thank you so much for the input and it has really helped me make my decision. Will post some pics hopefully this weekend!
Old 04-28-2015, 04:25 PM   #13

At 70yr. I decided I have fixed enough stuff. I went with all the warranties. I know the economics involve Hugh commissions and there's always the fine print. I also feel I want the piece of mind to call them up and that's that. My son in law has to fix his used hugh diesel pusher every time they go out. I'll fix the small stuff that's fun but......
Happywanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:02 PM   #14

My wife wanted it so we got one, 7 years. If I was younger and had time, I would not have, but my time is pretty valuable now...too many hobbies to be worrying about fixing something.
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel
Bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:02 PM   #15

I have an extended warranty for 7 years it cost us 1300 dollars and after my last camper well worth it if needed let's face it insurance is just that and with all the problems people have with their electronics and slides bearings and axles to me it's a no brainier. My last camper a wilderness advantage 5 wheel we had a extended warranty on it as well and so glad we did. Slide gears replaced ac unit replaced furnace repaired as well as the water heater that was the forth year of owning it the last year we had it water pump and micro were fixed. Our new trailer has basically the same coverage but with the electronics now being covered even the tv plus bearings and axles . And have it in writing that if we take it back to our dealer for any repairs that instead of the 100 dollar deduct able it would be only 50. So am I wasting 1,300 dollars? I don't think so. Shop around and research different company's some even offer payment plans for two years so you aren't financing it over 15 years good luck and safe travles

Clancy vibe272bhs
timothy clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
The "RV Warranty Forever" is a new warranty being offered for the first time this year (at least around here).

I had it explained to me from a reputable dealer (so I know it is not BS ) and it sounds like a decent deal and a good marketing gimmick for the dealership since it does not cost YOU anything (they as a dealership have to buy into the base program). It does cover the big ticket items that you don't want to pay for. It also does NOT cover some big ticket items that you do not want to pay for

Here is where the additional "Wrap" protection comes in (Is this what your dealer is offering?) It covers virtually everything on the rig for as long as you own the rig. The cost scales based on the value of your rig - don't know what the cost would be for your rig but I DO know the cost of a Cardinal 3825FL is $1,800.00, so your cost should be lower than that.

The $199 annual inspection (at least by my dealer) is not that bad of a deal really (unless you REALLY want to DIY). For the money, they grease the zerks, check the brakes/axels/tires, inspect the roof and caulk as needed, lube the slides and gaskets, and even winterize if you want them to. For $200 that's a fairly decent deal for a lazy guy or for someone unfamiliar with all the stuff you need to maintain on a RV.
I have not heard of the forever warranty. that is very interesting. Thanks for sharing. It sure has a way for the dealer to get you in to the shop to upcharge you and do repairs that they deem necessary. Auto repairs places are just like doctors. You visit them and they will find something wrong to fix.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:32 AM   #17

I went with the extended warranty for the following reason. When I applied for credit I got qualified for 5.99%. The finance guy told me if I purchased an extended warranty they would be able to lower the interest rate to 4.99%. They gave me a price for the extended warranty and it was going to raise my payment by around 8.00 per month even with the lower rate. I said no to that deal and then was given a better price on the warranty which gives me 4 years of warranty without raising the payment at all. I figured 4 years of warranty and not changing the payments was a good deal.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:47 PM   #18

My second year cost $150 and was soooo worth it. These TTs are very poorly made. I've more than used the 2nd year....even for tires that all started splitting and went flat. Fireplace went out, air mattress on couch twice.

I would suggest taking out the Forest River water filter unit as the filters are proprietary and super expensive ($29 + $1- shipping for 1 filter when you can spend the same amount for a whole new unit) - adequate 3rd party filters can be hard to find sometimes. Replace it with a Culligan or other unit from Amazon AND move it outside before it splits and breaks and leaks water all over (mine was in the cabinet under the bathroom sink).

Also get the combination locks for the outside storage doors - cheap and easy to install. ALL outside storage keys are the same so everyone with an RV can open your storage doors.

IMHO
GVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:08 PM   #19

The second year warranty for around $150, do you get that from the dealer when you pick up your camper or do you contact forest river directly to get it?
Old 05-29-2015, 07:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by itgoes211 View Post
The second year warranty for around $150, do you get that from the dealer when you pick up your camper or do you contact forest river directly to get it?
Your dealer should handle that for you. Be aware though that you only have 10 days from the day of taking possession to get signed up. Follow-up with the dealer to get confirmation that it has been processed by FR, and if need be, contact FR directly.

And CONGRATS!!
rana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty