Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2016, 03:35 PM   #1

Extension Propane Hose

We have a Rockwood 2503s with the hang-on-the-side grill. Well, after a couple summers we need to replace it. Would like to use a standard propane grill but because of the push-on connection we are having a hard time finding a replacement.
My question is: Is there a hose that can be attached to the push-on connection with a normal propane gas grill connection on the other end?
or where do I get the connections?

Thanks
Rockwood 2503s
debandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:31 PM   #2
Playtime III

No such thing as a normal grill.
Your existing grill operates on low pressure lpg. Your tank has a regulator which reduces the pressure. Most quick connects are low pressure. However most portable grills operate on high pressure (green 1lb bottle dead give away of high pressure).
800 wd/dual cam sc
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:38 PM   #3

Have you talked to a local propane dealer about making one for you?

This would allow you to spec out the length of hose as opposed to taking what ever might be available from a store.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:40 PM   #4
clr

Playtime is right you need a low pressure grill. The simplest way to do this is find a grill that the regulator is built into the hose to the LP tank, then throw away the hose and the regulator and replace with a quick connect fitting. That is what I have done and use a 20 foot LP hose from the RV to the grill so it is easy to move as required. You can find the quick connect type connections at a Lowes or Home Depot.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:01 PM   #5

I will try Lowes and Home Depot in the morning. Thanks
Rockwood 2503s
Old 12-29-2016, 09:25 PM   #6

Or you could look at etrailer.com and find some very nice low pressure grills, some of which already have the quick coupler. Amazon carries a number of companies who do the quick connect hose in various lengths. We went this route and it works well.
Igave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:53 PM   #7

Thanks for all the help and information. I think we will go to a portable grill that uses the 1 lb green propane bottles that will give us more flexibility at the campsite.
Thanks again.
Rockwood 2503s
Old 12-30-2016, 02:11 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Camco does make a portable grill conversion kit.
It will allow the use of your low pressure system on portable grills that have the often found regulator that screws onto the burner tube.

I buy $20 gas grills at Wally World (about every 2 years) and use this converter.
Works perfect and easily switched back if you want to use 1 lb. bottles.

Camco Quick Conversion.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Have you talked to a local propane dealer about making one for you?

This would allow you to spec out the length of hose as opposed to taking what ever might be available from a store.
Exactly what I did...and made them to any length you want right on the spot.
I have mine at 30'...connect to the trailer and have plenty of option to install the grill, on wich I remove the regulator and screw on a quick connector that the same propane guy sold me.
Very happy with my set up...many of our camping friends have done the same also.
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:16 PM   #10

thanks for the picture of the Camco Quick Conversion. I got one from Amazon and can't wait to use it. Thanks again.
Rockwood 2503s
Old 01-05-2017, 03:23 PM   #11

This is my set up. Got all parts at a hardware store.

Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Nurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by debandi View Post
We have a Rockwood 2503s with the hang-on-the-side grill. Well, after a couple summers we need to replace it. Would like to use a standard propane grill but because of the push-on connection we are having a hard time finding a replacement.
My question is: Is there a hose that can be attached to the push-on connection with a normal propane gas grill connection on the other end?
or where do I get the connections?
Thanks
I gave up on the original grill within one camping trip and replaced it with a Coleman RoadTrip LXE. I'm saving the original for sale with the camper when I replace it.

Here is a commercial option for the quick connect adapter. I have not used it and this is not an endorsement, but it does provide a one-stop option. The manufacturer apparently offers different version for different grills.
Torjik Converta-C
What I have done is adapted instructions in the YouTube linked below to attach a Camco 59853 Propane Quick Connect to the brass connector of my Coleman Road Trip. The results are satisfactory and provides a versatile grill.

WARNING: at about the 1:50 mark the presenter says to remove the check valve. Do NOT do that! To do so results in the potential of free-flowing propane if the threaded brass connector is not securely attached to the grill. Besides which, it's not necessary to remove it and doing so provides no benefit.
YouTube: Coleman LXE Grill to RV low pressure propane quick connect
I bought an extra Coleman regulator assembly. I removed the regulator end and added a quick connect fitting. That requires some gas pipe dope and a fine-thread adapter between the metal tubing and the quick connect, but that's all. I got mine at a big box home store.

In addition, I bought a Camco 57629 hose that has a quick connect on one end and a regulator with an Acme nut (standard propane tank adapter) on the other.

The end result is I can use my Road Trip with the small propane bottles as designed by the manufacturer. That's good for cookouts at the beach, etc. I can use it while trailer camping by pulling out the low-pressure hose from the wall of the trailer.

Finally, the hose and regulator serves as my backup outdoor kitchen should we suffer an extended power outage. I just set my 20# propane tank next to it and I'm good for days. I have had to use my grill and a propane camp stove for exactly that purpose back when Florida had 4 hurricanes in one summer. The Road Trip condenses that down to a single multi-purpose device for which the accessories are compact.

Because my approach ends up with an extra regulator, you may be able to use it in combination with other parts or an alternate hose to reduce the cost of parts purchased.

Edit: The YouTube below illustrates connecting the Torjik product. Importantly, it illustrates preserving the check valve in the brass connector.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane