Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2010, 06:26 PM   #1

Question Finding tongue weight

Where do we find our tongue weight? It's not on any of the stickers on our 2010 Windjammer 3001W.
granny60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by granny60 View Post
Where do we find our tongue weight? It's not on any of the stickers on our 2010 Windjammer 3001W.
Welcome Granny60, I've been told that your tongue weight is about 10% of your "GVW" (gross vehicle weight???), but to get an exact number look online,.... there should still be brochures online for the Windjammer that will give you what you need.
cthelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Arn
Arn

Your "dry" hitch weight is 812 lbs. That doesn't include the addition of awning, A/C or anything else that can change it. Tongue weight is different for everybody. It depends on how much you carry, how you load, WD hitch, etc etc. The best way is to go to a Cat Scale or something similar & set just the tongue (with WD hitch if you have one) on the scale & get the weight. Another way is to purchase or borrow a scale specifically for tongue weight. You should also get the loaded weight of your trailer since tongue weight should be 10-15% of that.
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

Arn pretty much said it all. The best way is to weigh it. Be sure you weight it loaded as you would for your typical outing.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The listed tongue weight is the figure posted for an unloaded trailer coming off of the factory floor. The listed tongue weight on my Surveyor was 559 lbs., but after adding a battery and propane tanks, it came across the scales at 640 lbs. on the 1st trip back from the dealer. Camping ready, I am around 700 lbs. with the camper weighing in at 5500 lbs....about 13% on the tongue. I try to load the back of the camper heavy so that I can continue to use 800 lb. trunnion bars and keep the tongue weight from creeping much over the 13%. But if the camper tends to have a light tongue weight, then more weight needs to be put up front.....it should be a careful balancing act for every camper.......and to know your actual weights.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #6

My 2010 8317RKSS has a tongue weight that is 14.5 % of it's vehicle weight. I figured it with a few calculations. I have 1200 Lbs. bars and am well below that even at the GVWR of my trailer. 14.5 seems to ring true for a few 8317SS's I have seen too.

Husky 16K slider hitch.

New Trailer 2013 Wildcat 344QB Touring Edition with angled master bed.
Greenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Here is one method of determining your tongue weight. I've never used it myself but it has been around for years. [+] DRAW-TITE Corporate Website [+] (See 'Information"/ "Determine GTW and TW.)

Loaded to your GVWR and assuming a tongue weight of 12%, you will probably be at around 1060 lbs. In that case you would need a 5' board between the pipes if using a 250 lb. scale.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood