Old 04-16-2016, 08:48 PM   #1

First real trip in the 2703WS!!

Well, the first real long weekend trip to Hatteras is underway! We left Maryland Thursday night and drove to the Williamsburg area. We overnighted at a Cracker Barrel and had a good breakfast. We got to the Hatteras KOA at about 1000 on Friday. We have a site by the dune line and so far I am VERY happy with how this trailer is performing. All the systems are working perfectly. The only bad thing is that it is blowing 25 to 30mph SUSTAINED and it is about 50 degrees right now. Not conducive to an outside fire!! We are sitting in the living area with the electric fireplace on watching a movie while the trailer is getting buffeted by the wind!!

Pictures later!!

Marty
2016 Rockwood 2703WS Sapphire
2011 F150 EB

Old 04-16-2016, 08:54 PM   #2

How much better can it get! rocking by the wind a warm fire and a movie the only thing I would add is a gin and tonic! Sounds like you are experiencing just a little of the pleasures that are to come.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
How much better can it get! rocking by the wind a warm fire and a movie the only thing I would add is a gin and tonic! Sounds like you are experiencing just a little of the pleasures that are to come.
Actually, I am sitting here on line (using that Booster tube and repeater set-up) and have some Bullet Rye. It is a fantastic weekend!!

Marty
Old 04-18-2016, 09:34 PM   #4

We picked up our 2703WS on Friday (4/15) at RVW in Ohio. We spent the weekend at a campground on Indian Lake about 3 or 4 miles from RVW. We wanted to check it out before taking it home. We had a great first weekend. The weather was great, the campground owner (Mike Sabo) and his assistant could not have been more helpful, the lake was beautiful, and RVW sent a service tech over to repair a small problem with the toilet Saturday afternoon. Not a lot to complain about. The fireplace was nice in the mornings.

At home today I checked the refrigerator vent covers. I had water get behind one of these on a previous trailer. The sealant had pulled away from the plastic frame. Not good.

Because the refer. is in the slide, it has two of the standard plastic Dometic vents on the side. I took the top cover off and found no sealant along the bottom inside edge of the frame. When I took the bottom cover off, the frame had a generous amount of silicone sealant applied. These will leak between the cover and the frame at the bottom and allow water to soak everything behind and below the refer. I can't believe Dometic hasn't changed the design of these vents for at least 10 years and probably a lot longer. A lip on the inside along the bottom of the frame would solve this problem.

Check behind the covers!
Old 04-19-2016, 06:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymil View Post
We picked up our 2703WS on Friday (4/15) at RVW in Ohio. We spent the weekend at a campground on Indian Lake about 3 or 4 miles from RVW. We wanted to check it out before taking it home. We had a great first weekend. The weather was great, the campground owner (Mike Sabo) and his assistant could not have been more helpful, the lake was beautiful, and RVW sent a service tech over to repair a small problem with the toilet Saturday afternoon. Not a lot to complain about. The fireplace was nice in the mornings.

At home today I checked the refrigerator vent covers. I had water get behind one of these on a previous trailer. The sealant had pulled away from the plastic frame. Not good.

Because the refer. is in the slide, it has two of the standard plastic Dometic vents on the side. I took the top cover off and found no sealant along the bottom inside edge of the frame. When I took the bottom cover off, the frame had a generous amount of silicone sealant applied. These will leak between the cover and the frame at the bottom and allow water to soak everything behind and below the refer. I can't believe Dometic hasn't changed the design of these vents for at least 10 years and probably a lot longer. A lip on the inside along the bottom of the frame would solve this problem.

Check behind the covers!
I will check that out today!!

Thanks!!

Marty
Old 04-19-2016, 06:15 PM   #6

Yep! Check it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymil View Post

Check behind the covers!
Mine was exactly as described. The bottom had a very liberal amount of sealant. The top (photo) not a drop. I fixed that. Thanks for the heads up!

Marty
2016 Rockwood 2703WS
2011 F150 EB
Old 04-19-2016, 06:29 PM   #7

Last try then I give up for this evening! Photos of our fridge vent lower vent with and upper vent without caulk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4190001.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	105454   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4190002.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	343.0 KB
ID:	105455  
Old 04-19-2016, 08:55 PM   #8

You did it!

I didn't think to take a photo before I caulked the top one.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS
2016 F250 PowerStroke 3.55 axle
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:56 AM   #9

X2 on checking the vent covers....My 2703 had no sealant on the upper vent cover also.

2016 Rockwood 2703 Emerald Edition
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote