Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #1

First Shake Down trip with my new 5'er

Well we made it home after a great 4 days in Temecula California.
Total mileage about 750 mile round tirp.
Checked out everything before departure like wheels , brakes, tire pressure and started up the refrigerator on propane.

The trailer pulled very easy and was running about 65 mph on good highways until California when I have to drop down to 55 mph. Parked and leveled the trailer and powered everything up. Front legs as well as rear stabilizers worked flawlessly without any blown fuses. Slide worked great with no blown fuses. Oh power was a solid 118 volts. The 15,000 BTU upgrade AC worked like a champ but those stupid vents in the ceiling kept closing. ( SEE PIC) I just put a piece of rolled up toilet paper in all of them to keep them open. One morning the temp was a chilly 56 degrees so I decided to check out the heater. Started up and worked great.

I used to RVBBQ which was easy and cooked 3 meals on it. I still haven't cleaned it yet.

Lights, ZX700, LCD TV was great but I had to change a few wires do the ZX700 had the TV as an input. They had the TV hooked up to an output instead of the input. No big deal.

Had a chance to wax the rig and installed the eternabond tape on the roof and used exactly 49 ft of the 50 ft roll. The 1 ft that is left is my emergency repair.

All my grey and black water tanks were marked and hooked up properly.

Bottom line we had a great time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent01.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	3126  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #2

Outstanding John! Glad to hear all went well. Time to start planning the next trip.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #3

Congrats on a great maiden voyage.

Glad all went well.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Outstanding John! Glad to hear all went well. Time to start planning the next trip.
2nd trip already planned. 1,400 miles RT to Sacramento CA. Probably in September. The only thing I dread is that 55 MPH speed limit in California for cars and trucks pulling trailers. The roads are really bad and hate the THUMP, THUMP of the concrete sections with expansion joints.

Thanks Mike. Any trip without a tire blowout is great!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #5

I hear ya John, we have those same stupid concrete panels on our roads, the constant thatump, thatump just rattles everything loose. Lower speed limit is probably not a bad idea under those conditions. Have a great trip.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 08-11-2010, 09:14 PM   #6

John, all I can say is I look forward to knowing lots of what you said. Just moved into my Sierra last month, don't even have a truck to pull it with. Reading something I don't even understand yet, has my fever rising. That truck is getting to be more impotant every day. But, maybe I need to understand things better before I roll. Thanks for sharing.
dick773434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #7

Glad to hear you had a safe trip. We pick our 8286WS on Saturday and we cannot wait to take our maiden voyage.

Can you post pictures of your Eternabond installation especially the skylight to compare with the picture you posted in an earlier post?
phoneman06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick773434 View Post
John, all I can say is I look forward to knowing lots of what you said. Just moved into my Sierra last month, don't even have a truck to pull it with. Reading something I don't even understand yet, has my fever rising. That truck is getting to be more impotant every day. But, maybe I need to understand things better before I roll. Thanks for sharing.
Dick you have a weath of experience here on this forum. This is not my first trailer but I do know what to check before I leave on any trip.

You need to try and check out all your equipment if possible before you head out.
Just carry a little water in your holding tank for emergencies on the way.

Make sure your battery is fully charged and filled with distilled water.

Make sure you know where all the hot water valves are located. Inlet,
Outlet and bypass valves.

Purge your water system and remove all air from both hot and cold water lines before turning on hot water heater. Make sure the hot water heater is not bypassed or you will burn up air and not water.

Make sure you know how to level your trailer. This is important when trying to get your refrigerator to work. Level front to back and side ways using a 6 or 8 inch bubble level inside the refrigerator.

These are a few tips.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneman06 View Post
Glad to hear you had a safe trip. We pick our 8286WS on Saturday and we cannot wait to take our maiden voyage.

Can you post pictures of your Eternabond installation especially the skylight to compare with the picture you posted in an earlier post?

Here is my first one. A full 6" wide Eternobond across the rear seam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eternabond_6_inch.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	3128  
Old 08-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
2nd trip already planned. 1,400 miles RT to Sacramento CA. Probably in September. . The roads are really bad and hate the THUMP, THUMP of the concrete sections with expansion joints.
We just got back from driving down I-15 to Anaheim (to visit Pooh Bear) and then up highway 1 To Monterey (breathtaking coastline albeit narrow road) and then over to I-5 to Sacramento to my absolute all time favorite Sushi - SAMAURI! YUM. It's right at the Hazel exit off Highway 50 (South East Corner). Well worth a major detour - absolutely fresh, inspired sauces and creative presentation for a reasonable price.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:29 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Iggy, glad to hear the 1st trip went well.

I'm just counting down the days to our Indy trip on the Labour Day weekend. It will be nice not having to wait for port-a-lets & the shower house. Two trips under my belt albeit mostly rural/northern locales. The urban/interstate stuff will be a new challenge.

Leaving midday here, but will probably hit Detroit/Ann Arbor during their rush hour.

Good luck on your next trip.

Dick, ask any questions you may have. Some of the documentation you got w/ the RV may be a bit "fuzzy" @ best. No mention in the Dometic fridge manual about the thermistor on the cooling fins controlling the temp. I found out a couple of hours after departure the fridge wasn't cooling. Noticed the "gadget, adjusted it & everything was fine afterwards.

Someone here will be glad to help.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
Iggy, glad to hear the 1st trip went well.

I'm just counting down the days to our Indy trip on the Labour Day weekend. It will be nice not having to wait for port-a-lets & the shower house. Two trips under my belt albeit mostly rural/northern locales. The urban/interstate stuff will be a new challenge.

Leaving midday here, but will probably hit Detroit/Ann Arbor during their rush hour.

Good luck on your next trip.

Dick, ask any questions you may have. Some of the documentation you got w/ the RV may be a bit "fuzzy" @ best. No mention in the Dometic fridge manual about the thermistor on the cooling fins controlling the temp. I found out a couple of hours after departure the fridge wasn't cooling. Noticed the "gadget, adjusted it & everything was fine afterwards.

Someone here will be glad to help.
I'll have to look at the frig and the temp control on the fins. Ours worked great on gas as well as a 120 volt electric. Was very impressed and set only on 3 for the whole trip and everything was really cool. Made a few trays of ice cubes. Cool I must say.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:46 PM   #13

Vents closing seems to be a big problem on new campers. My new 5th wheel had vents that closed on their own. Dealer replace them with new ones, he said a bunch of bad batch of vents were made and it seems they made their way into a lot of campers.
rohlingerrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:52 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Made a few trays of ice cubes. Cool I must say.
The freezer & fridge operation/controls are separate.

When I was checking the "systems" in the trailer this spring, I made a tray of ice cubes successfully, but never bothered to open the door in the fridge to check its temp'. I figured if the freezer is working OK, then the fridge would be as well. Fortunately I was able to figure things out shortly after my departure.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohlingerrv View Post
Vents closing seems to be a big problem on new campers. My new 5th wheel had vents that closed on their own. Dealer replace them with new ones, he said a bunch of bad batch of vents were made and it seems they made their way into a lot of campers.
We had bad ones also. Called my dealer and they sent me new ones.
Big Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #16

Quote:
I'll have to look at the frig and the temp control on the fins. Ours worked great on gas as well as a 120 volt electric. Was very impressed and set only on 3 for the whole trip and everything was really cool. Made a few trays of ice cubes. Cool I must say.
The thermistor is on the back side of the fridge, not on the cooling fins inside. Also if you have factory installed fans on the fridge the thermostat for them is on the cooling fins high on the back of the fridge and not accessible without removing the fridge unless you have access though an upper vent such as many installed in the slide on an RV where there is no roof vent.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 08-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #17
MrT

Quote:
Here is my first one. A full 6" wide Eternobond across the rear seam.
Nice clean installation. Sure looks like it will hold up better than the garden variety of caulk.

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012-2017
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT View Post
Nice clean installation. Sure looks like it will hold up better than the garden variety of caulk.
Thanks. Let's hope it lasts.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:39 PM   #19

Second trip

We are planning our second trip with our new 5th.
Phoenix AZ to Sacramento California (790 miles) then head south to the San Diego Del Mar Beach (500 miles) then back to Phoenix (300 miles). The 1,600 miles trip will see how the Duro tires hold up on those bumpity bumpity California highways..

We will see if the tires seperate under that torture.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:00 AM   #20

John,
Have a safe trip.
Post a link to your photos when you can. I'm sure you'll take pics, won't you?

milzat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood