Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #1

First time buyer ordering a 8265s - Should I upgrade A/C

I'm a first time RVer, I will be ordering the rockwood 8265s the end of the month. I want to know if I should upgrade to the 15000 BTU A/C. Does the 13500 unit do the job cooling things off enough? I live in Florida and it gets really hot in the summer time. Are there any power concerns with the 15k when connected to a 30 amp hook up. Also, any other first time buyer advise would be greatly appreciated.
skylarcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I would definitely upgrade the AC, and get a 10 gallon water hot water tank. The only electrical concern is if/when you have the hot water on electric, AC on, and use the microwave, at least as far reading on here. I don't have electric hot water option so I have never had a problem. In Florida, you'll be glad to have the bigger AC. Also check everything before you sign the papers, including, TV's and stereos. Don't know if you have slide-outs, but find fuse/circuit breakers for them, and everything else. Find low point drains and water heater by-pass valves for winterization. Make sure you get a spare tire, and have a jack and lug wrench to fit. I'm sure others will add some more stuff. Good Luck, and congrats on the new trailer.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:45 PM   #3

100% yes! Upgrade! When we ordered our rig I only ordered one low profile AC unit. My reasoning was that we do 90% of our camping where heat is required not cooling. Big mistake. Our maiden voyage was a 3 week trip to Arizona, Utah and home with temps in the 80s and 90s. With a rig that is covered in dark paint the temps can soar quickly even in 70 degree weather. I wished I had the 2nd unit now. The up side is that when I do add a 2nd one, FR has already run the wiring for it, provided the breaker and I will put in a heat pump unit instead of the straight AC.

With most 5ers I usually only see one AC on the roof so make it as big as you can get. You can never have enough AC but trust me it's miserable not to have enough.

Also if you can order dual pane windows I highly suggest it. And as Windrider suggested, 10 gallon gas/elec water heater if it doesn't come with one and it's an option. Use the parks electricity to heat your water not your propane.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
Site Team

I'll just nod at what windrider & NWJeeper said. We live in South Alabama and have the 15,000 btu unit in our GS-280 and there are days during the summer that it never shuts down. The 10 gal water heater is a good suggestion too but I don't think it's an option on that unit. You can get by with the 6 gal just fine if you watch what you're doing. Definitely opt for the Gas/Electric/DSI model.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #5

Thanks for all your responses. I need all the help I can get before I place my order. The 15k btu AC is a must, I'll have to check on that 10 gallon water heater, I don't think it's an option. I'm going to pick up one of those RVing for dummies hand books this weekend, I think I might need it.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I would save my money and not buy the book. Books are written by writers. Instead stick to forums like this one, it is written by campers. The book may be useful, but will be very generic. For some good reading, check out this site http://rvbasics.com/. Has some good stuff and will answer a lot of questions. I have no affiliation with them.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #7

Thanks for hooking me up with that web site. It has a lot of good information. You just saved me $14.95!
Old 01-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #8

Skylarcamp, Here is another site with a wealth of good information on RV systems, from the electrical to the plumbing to mods and upgrades. His information called "The 12volt side of life" should be mandatory reading for all RVrs and he explains the plumbing systems just as well. Much better information that I have seen in any RVing books, just print it out and take it with you.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #9

well everyone seems to be a fan of upgrading, i am also but it depends on the price i actually own the exact model u are gonna buy and live in fl. i def used the ac but it did the job just fine so it all depends on the price the vent system works great and the camper is pretty open so air circulates just fine. if it is alot i would consider upgrading somewhere else than the ac.
2010 Keystone Laredo 310RE 5th wheel "sold"
2015 Georgetown 351 "sold"
2016 Coachmen Sportscoach 404RB
mack1roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:23 AM   #10

The AC upgrade is $225.00. I think it will be worth the extra cost, I'm thinking of how hot it gets down here in the summer time (95 with 100% humitity). I'm also getting a ceiling fan. How do you like your new 8265? Any advise you can give me before we place the order? I've been trying to find a dealer that has one on their lot so my wife and I can check it out but I haven't been successful. We've seen Rockwood travel trails that have the same double slides and floor plan, so we know what to expect. We've also been in a few other RW 5th wheels with the same bath and bedroom lay out. Taking 1/2 the TT and 1/2 the 5th wheel, we kind of know what the 8265 will look like. We love the size and the lay out. It's pretty much the 2 of us these days (and the dogs) so there's plenty of room. There's a local dealer in town that we will order from, he says about 5-7 weeks delievery. We will be ordering in the next few weeks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:50 AM   #11

Yes, get the 15,000. I have an 8314ss and had to change out from a 13,500. In hot weather mine would not cool and there was nothing wrong with the unit. There other things that can be done to help make your a/c from working too hard as well. The other thing you may want to look at is having a heat pump put in, this way you would have a secondary heat system incase you run out of propane or have problem with the gas system. The other system you can get is the a/c system with electric heat strips as well.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #12

to pony up on rockwood real qucik there is a fireplace that runs off of eletric and that will heat the whole camper i have only turned on my furnace once just to make sure it works.

onto the advice. i absolutly love my camper i will say it comes across as a small rv but once it opens upu def not it is so huge inside. we got the cherry wood and saddle int. with stainless steel appliances and i think the combo looks great. we were not able to see one in person either but i went to rvtrader.com and found some models on there for sale all over the country so i could see the different options and colors they offered to help me make a descion.

we also have the upgraded wheels. these are not a must but the def. stand out and give the camper a nice touch. we alwasy get asked where did we get the new rims at for our camper and i have to say they are just the upgraded factory rims.

although small that ceiling fan that you already are gonna get is also awsome. i think thats what helps out circulating the air so much. when you leave the bed room door open ans the slides are obviously both out with that ceiling fan on and the vents placed in the right direction our entire camper was nice and cool.

ok the only two negatives i have are that the table that is with the booth i don't like the legs on it i feel as if i leaned on it the wrong way it would break. i i think i am going to install the poles. and the other is the bedroom door is not a door its like an accordian door i think i spelled that right hahh.

hope you enjoy i let me know if you have any other questions
Old 01-17-2010, 03:15 PM   #13

We're also ordering the cherry cabinets and possibly the sage as well. Raised panel frig., no stainless. I'm pretty sure it already comes with the alloy wheels. I know they look great. What size TV does the 2010 come with, is it a 26" Toshiba ? I know they were changing brands, wasn't sure about sizes.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #14

yes and the picture is great
Old 01-19-2010, 06:28 AM   #15

Did your 2010 come with black framing around the windows? The dealer says they were changing the white to black. After you ordered your Rockwood how long did it take until delievery?
Old 01-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #16

yes they changed it mid way through the year so i have the black and it does not look bad. from order date until i got it was about 5 weeks. i have heard other people say it has taken longer but i must have had a good dealer. that was actually delivered to my house so i beleive mine could have been picked up in new york at the 4 week mark.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #17

We'll be visiting the dealer this weekend and setting up our order. Just need to decide our interor. We should get delievery sometime in March.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:05 PM   #18

Yo Skylarcamparo.....Mav Malin here. That Rockwood you're looking at is one nice unit. Sounds like everyone's been giving you some good advice. Reach down deep in the pockets and pony-up for the larger a/c unit, you won't regret it! More importantly, you're wife will be happy since the a/c will run real strong and she won't say "I told you to spend the extra $225 on that larger a/c unit". At least that's what my wife would say...lol! As far as the larger water tank, again, great advice from an obvious RV veteran. I'm originally from the Sunshine state but now live up north in Maine with Uncle Ted. Got tired of the darn heat & humidity. Ever here of Damariscotta?? If you ever decide to head north with that Rockwood in tow be sure to come up and visit us here in Maine. When I'm not on the road with the RV I'm settin lobster traps.....life is good.
Hey, what are you going to be pulling that Rockwood with? Get yourself a nice Ford F450 with a big honking Diesel!!
I'm new to the site but I've been lurking here forever. A big hello to all other boys from Maine!!
Mav Malin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #19

No F450, I'm hoping my Nissan Titan will do the trick. It tows my 8000 pound boat with no problems. I have to make some short bed adjustments with the use of a reese sidewinder which will be install at the Rockwood factory. The dealer says it should work just fine. Send us some lobsters!!
Old 01-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarcamp View Post
No F450, I'm hoping my Nissan Titan will do the trick. It tows my 8000 pound boat with no problems. I have to make some short bed adjustments with the use of a reese sidewinder which will be install at the Rockwood factory. The dealer says it should work just fine. Send us some lobsters!!
I'll have to send you some good ole Maine 5lbers if you're able to tow that big boy with a Titan. I'm not that up on the non-American iron but isn't a Titan some form of a trojan....lol. Just messing with you Skylarboy. I think those Titans are Japanese trucks with a small 6 cylinder so I'd be careful with that. Sounds like you're on your way to a whole lot of fun with that sweet Rockwood. You be sure to make it up to Maine and I'll take you out on the lobster boat for some real down Maine fun....bring the little lady as we also have some nice shopping! Best of luck and ask lots of questions.......we RVers are a good crowd and will help just about anyone!
Mav Malin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood