Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2018, 09:09 PM   #41

Both closed, but monitor. Open black, they gray to push anything stuck in the hose out.

Bill
wjgri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:04 AM   #42

My kitchen has a 50 gallon grey water tank, my shower and bathroom sink are attached to a separate 50 gallon grey water tank. I keep the shower tank closed and use it to rinse the black water residual in the slinky. I keep the sink grey water valve open all of the time. I have a good strainer so don't worry about crud buildup but I do fill the tank once in a while, add septic tank chemicals in it, and then drain it completely.
TranceX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:13 PM   #43

First time full hookup

I try is to gauge how long it takes to get the Black full or close to full and then that night I close the Grey and take showers and just after breakfast dishes the next day the Grey is full enough to flush the Black so then drain them as usual. I also usually hold the Toilet pedal continuously as we are draining the Black tank, then follow with the Grey and a couple of faucets open to help clear the Grey and the drain hose as I don’t have anything fancy to rinse out the Black tank. I wish I did and will try to have it one day.
Jay Elting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:01 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Ever smell that 'sewer' smell around the RV park in the early morning hours or in the evening just after dark?

Guess where that smell is coming from...

It is coming from the roof vents of those RV's that leave their gray tanks open all the time they are hooked up.

If only there was a way to get that smell to stay at your campsites...

5 minutes of info that all RV'ers should be required to watch:

Only a couple of time have I ever discovered "that sewer smell". That was more due to the direction of the wind.

There really is no standing effluent under you dump point, its just a PVC pipe that runs to a trunk pipe which may even run to another one and over to the septic or to the main line at the street.

If it's a septic system then it will have vents over each of the large containers of effluent and its more than possible that the wind can bring it your direction.
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:48 AM   #45
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
Only a couple of time have I ever discovered "that sewer smell". That was more due to the direction of the wind.

There really is no standing effluent under you dump point, its just a PVC pipe that runs to a trunk pipe which may even run to another one and over to the septic or to the main line at the street.

If it's a septic system then it will have vents over each of the large containers of effluent and its more than possible that the wind can bring it your direction.
Did you watch that video I posted a link to?

With an open gray tank, these fumes will come out of the sewer system and up through any RV roof vent that has their gray valves left opened...

And making your own P-trap out of the sewer hose won't always stop this from happening.

Ever take a hose and put it under water and see the bubbles coming out of both ends until the hose fills up with water?

Kind of the same thing...only reversed.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:56 AM   #46

Sewer smell

My profound thanks to you, today wasn’t a total loss as I’ve learned something new. I had never given it a thought about the possibility of me leaving an open sewer for all of the other guests to smell via my open Grey line. Thank you for the wake up call. In the future I believe I had better try to think, for a change, about the consequences of my actions before making a very stinky decision.
Jay Elting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:09 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Did you watch that video I posted a link to?

With an open gray tank, these fumes will come out of the sewer system and up through any RV roof vent that has their gray valves left opened...

And making your own P-trap out of the sewer hose won't always stop this from happening.

Ever take a hose and put it under water and see the bubbles coming out of both ends until the hose fills up with water?

Kind of the same thing...only reversed.
JD, you are welcome to believe as you chose, however for that to occur, the system has to be at fault. If a septic as many are, they vents over the tanks would have to be non-operational and the drain field not draining.

For a city system to do it, there would need to be back-pressure from the main sewer line out in the street.

Just spent 8 days with my grey line open till the day before departure. This gives us 3-4 showers and lav time. Usually on the morn of leaving the shower will fill up as I finish, this give me a full tank to flush my line. This is why I use clear outlet connectors at each end of my sewer line so I can get a visual on the color of the effluent. Rarely do I need to flush the line with the hose.

If you are having issues with smells I would suggest you look at your system rather than buy into its caused by grey valve left open.

Not saying that it's impossible, but in order for it to occur there needs to be back-pressure on either city or septic system.

No, I did not view the video...
Old 10-25-2018, 11:15 AM   #48

Quote:
My profound thanks to you, today wasn’t a total loss as I’ve learned something new. I had never given it a thought about the possibility of me leaving an open sewer for all of the other guests to smell via my open Grey line. Thank you for the wake up call. In the future I believe I had better try to think, for a change, about the consequences of my actions before making a very stinky decision.
I know it sounds like I'm preaching, but this is one of my pet peeves of RV'ing...

Which I'm sure we all have at least one pet peeve of RV'ing (like dogs not on a leash or constant barking while owners are away, loud people after 10 PM, 1/2-tons pulling 18K 5'ver toy haulers...that kind of stuff).

While I am an fellow RV'er, I also own a park model home in a large +55 RV park in Yuma, AZ, and now that the snowbirds are all arriving from the north and are opening up their park models that have been sitting all closed up baking in the hot desert sun for the last 6-8 months with the P-traps in their sinks and showers (and possibly the toilets) all dried up, we are experiencing this big-time here!

The minute one near me opens the front door for the first time...better not be smoking a cigarette!

It has been becoming more noticable for a couple months now, but with all of these park models getting opened up now it has been real bad!

Plus, now that the RV lot in the front is almost full, this started happening from a few of them as well.

I know that many here blow me off and do what they want, but this is a real issue that may or may not matter to them, but it is what is happening when the smell of sewer fumes in the RV parks and campgrounds that have sewer hookups...even state parks and national forest campgrounds.

It is at least something for us all to ponder, whether we all agree on it or not.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:20 AM   #49

Quote:
No, I did not view the video...
Then you choose to be uninformed...

It is only five minutes...

I will not say anymore here other than to watch the five minute video.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:49 AM   #50

Quote:
JD, you are welcome to believe as you chose, however for that to occur, the system has to be at fault. If a septic as many are, they vents over the tanks would have to be non-operational and the drain field not draining.
If you are having issues with smells I would suggest you look at your system rather than buy into its caused by grey valve left open.
I agree with you, as do most folks.

You will find JD lives and preaches by this video. This cause is definitely his passion, so you can't fault him for that. He has spread the word over at least a dozen threads by now. No logical discussions will deter him from his 100% closed gray valves goal.

We should get campaign buttons made for "Leave your gray valve open if you want to". Or maybe, "It Just Doesn't Matter".
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:47 PM   #51

Grey open..black closed until I leave and then I use the blank tank flush.

Never had sewer smell.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:00 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I agree with you, as do most folks.

You will find JD lives and preaches by this video. This cause is definitely his passion, so you can't fault him for that. He has spread the word over at least a dozen threads by now. No logical discussions will deter him from his 100% closed gray valves goal.

We should get campaign buttons made for "Leave your gray valve open if you want to". Or maybe, "It Just Doesn't Matter".
OK JD I watched it, in fact I watched it twice.

It features Doug Swarts, who is the founder and owner of drainmaster.com who sells a magic valve to keep out rats and flies from your 'grey' tank. [in 20 years of RVing I have yet to hear a rat down in any of my tanks] Doug also sez that when you leave you grey tank valve op it causes a "unbalanced" RV park and will cause the fumes to suck up into your RV and make the park stink.

But wait, there's MORE: Ole Doug sells that magic valve, along with special sewer hose and valves along with other stuff.

So here is his fix for rats in the tank:

Price: $497 plus labor [I am guessing the labor is to attach the sewer hose and put the other end into the drain hole]
More information:
Waste Master
400 Park Center Drive, Suite 6
Hollister, CA 95023
(877) 787-8833 www.drainmaster.com
admin@drainmaster.com

Review: Master waste disposal with Waste Master | RV Daily Report

JD, you are either a shill for Drainmaster or you are working on a commission. For $497 LARGE I hope he is giving you a good check...

Tags
first time