Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #1

First trip off to a bad start.

Well our first trip in our new 8312ss isn't going as we hoped. First as we pulled out of the yard the rear awning arm clipped the fence and ripped off. As I was removing pieces to get the trailer off the fence, I took the spring load bolt out not realizing and the end cap spun around breaking my thumb. After ex ray and some splints, oh ya and strapping the rest of the awning up we were on the road. As we pulled in to Disney I opened the outdoor kitchen and the refrigerator door had opened during traveling and all my beverages came crashing to the ground:0. One last small thing is the entertainment remote does nothing with the genesis. Hope ill have better things to report soon. Sorry had to rant somewhere didn't want to show my kids the frustration.
Fl-diamond8312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you have plenty of reason to rant. Sorry to hear about the mishaps and here's hoping the rest of your trip is incident free.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #3

I think we all have had a bad trip, some worse than others. Here's to hoping yours gets better soon!
Top B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #4

Ouch! Tough way to start with a new camper.
I am guessing that the rear of the camper swung out when you were pulling out, and that is why the awning caught? That is a looong camper, and it is hard to judge where that rear end is at all times.
As for the broken thumb, a painful but good lesson to read instructions before attempting repair!
The fridges in those rear outdoor kitchens are notorious for dumping their contents all over the place. Anything in the back of any of these units get quite a ride on our "wonderful" roads. Funny they don't have a lock for those fridges.
But it sounds like you made it to your destination safe and sound, and if the remote is the only problem with the camper, you are doing good!
Now it is time to relax and enjoy!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The outside fridge in our Sierra came with a buckled nylon strap screwed to the wall on each side that keeps our fridge in one place and the door always closed. As for the awning and the broken thumb .... ouch!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
Always Learning

I had "stacked" beer in our inside fridge once. Got home on a hot summer day and opened the door to have one crash down and break. I cleaned as much as I could, but it still stunk like the dickens for a while!

As for the genesis remote- ours is VERY directional. We have to hold our hand down at its level and point it right at the radio. I actually thought it wasn't working until my wife took it and said, "Watch this.." Sure enough- it worked when it was aimed just right!

Sorry about the thumb. Let's hope this is the end of your woes!

p.s. our outside fridge doesn't work when we're driving. We keep things laying on their sides when we load and use it to try and help things from falling. For us, it's water only while on the road in it. Once we get there, the beer goes in. Sodas, if we take them go in when we get to our destination.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #7

Thanks for all the responses. I know it could be worse and have learned the hard way, which is sometimes the best. Thanks for the tips on the remote. Ill try it later tonight.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Some lessons learned are more painful than others!

Hope everything gets better.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

On our very first trip my wife complained about the pantry being so deep she could not reach in. So, no problem. I installed sliding baskets on each shelf in the pantry so she could slide the baskets out.

It worked great.

Our first trip, the loaded baskets hit the door hard enough to overcome the door closure and we were welcomed by a broken jar of Pasta Sauce mixed with boxed items and seasonings.

Before our second trip there was a brass latch bolt on that door!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper and Ohio AF Museum 2012 306.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	23144  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #10
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl-diamond8312 View Post
Well our first trip in our new 8312ss isn't going as we hoped. First as we pulled out of the yard the rear awning arm clipped the fence and ripped off. As I was removing pieces to get the trailer off the fence, I took the spring load bolt out not realizing and the end cap spun around breaking my thumb. After ex ray and some splints, oh ya and strapping the rest of the awning up we were on the road. As we pulled in to Disney I opened the outdoor kitchen and the refrigerator door had opened during traveling and all my beverages came crashing to the ground:0. One last small thing is the entertainment remote does nothing with the genesis. Hope ill have better things to report soon. Sorry had to rant somewhere didn't want to show my kids the frustration.
Oh yes - the infamous outdoor kitchen refrig. Do you happen to know yet where the thermostat for it is located? I posted a rant here sometime ago about the manufactuer reloacting the thermostat from inside the refrig (where the owners manual said it was) to the outside of the rear wall. It is impossible to reach there without removing the refrig. The factory paid our dealer to cut an access panel in the panel forward of the refrig allowing access to the thermostat. As far as the door opening in transit, we had the same problem and solved it by placing a bungee cord from the top door hinge to the frame of the panel that you open to get to the refrig.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
On our very first trip my wife complained about the pantry being so deep she could not reach in. So, no problem. I installed sliding baskets on each shelf in the pantry so she could slide the baskets out.

It worked great.

Our first trip, the loaded baskets hit the door hard enough to overcome the door closure and we were welcomed by a broken jar of Pasta Sauce mixed with boxed items and seasonings.

Before our second trip there was a brass latch bolt on that door!
Herk - what's a nice Italian couple like you guys doing buying Pasta Sauce in a jar?
Old 01-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
On the up side...hopefully nothing else bad will happen. You got it out of the way! Its always a learning experience.

My dad riped the a/c right off the roof one time. Passed under one of those low hanging gas staion roof over-hangs.

So far (knock wood!) hubby and I haven't (yet) done anything to hurt us or our camper. But these is always the chance. Just dont get in a hurry.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Herk - what's a nice Italian couple like you guys doing buying Pasta Sauce in a jar?
Did not say it was "purchased" pasta sauce...

DW is German-Polish (a wonderful combination... BTW) and a great cook.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #14
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Did not say it was "purchased" pasta sauce...

DW is German-Polish (a wonderful combination... BTW) and a great cook.
OK - that's your story and you're sticking to it.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
...As for the genesis remote- ours is VERY directional. We have to hold our hand down at its level and point it right at the radio. I actually thought it wasn't working until my wife took it and said, "Watch this.." Sure enough- it worked when it was aimed just right!...
We found out accidently that if we point the remote at the sloped ceiling in the direction of the radio, it works very good.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #16
phat phrog stunt crew

sounds like a good story for laughing at later. much later
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #17

Sorry about your bad luck on your first trip! Hopefully things go a little better from here on out.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #18

We all have had one bad experiance, or two or three ! We hope the rest of your camper experiences are all great ! Jim
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:58 AM   #19
Wanna Be Camper

Sorry to hear of your troubles. As to your remote, there is a button labeled genesis or ZX800 or GT-3.0 beside the volume buttons on the remote. Try pushing that button, then any of the others on the remote.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post

Oh yes - the infamous outdoor kitchen refrig. Do you happen to know yet where the thermostat for it is located? I posted a rant here sometime ago about the manufactuer reloacting the thermostat from inside the refrig (where the owners manual said it was) to the outside of the rear wall. It is impossible to reach there without removing the refrig. The factory paid our dealer to cut an access panel in the panel forward of the refrig allowing access to the thermostat. As far as the door opening in transit, we had the same problem and solved it by placing a bungee cord from the top door hinge to the frame of the panel that you open to get to the refrig.
Our thermostat is on the inside of the fridge by the freezer.