Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #1

First trip out for 8314BSS

We ordered our Rockwood 8314 BSS late last year and picked it up December 28th with it winterized. We have been beside ourselves wanting to take it out on its maiden run. My wife is our trip planner and the first trip was for late January but she knew I was hesitant because of the chance for additional hard freezes so she cancelled it. We pulled it off last week though and what do you know, a hard freeze right in the middle of the trip. Our trip was from Arlington, TX to Pedernales Falls State Park (Southwest of Austin, TX). It was planned for 4 days but because of the ice storm and teens temps in the DFW area we extended an extra day hoping to not have to winterize again. I know we will have to watch the temps for a few more weeks but I think we will be OK now.

I expected issues with the trailer since a lot of people have said they never come off the assembly line with everything 100% working but if anything isn't working I do not know about it yet. My worst problem was the apprehension of not being sure of how to de-winterize since our old Jayco operated just a little different. I made a few videos when the dealership did the walk through which I referred to a couple of times but I was able to figure it all out.

I have to say that everything important worked perfectly. The only things I know of are a couple of drawers that do not want to stay closed when in transient and some seat cushions that we think the material could have been stretched tighter on.

I pull with a Toyota Tundra with the big V8 so no problem pulling in fact even though it weighs about 1500 pounds more than the Jayco (around 8500 loaded) and is 2 feet longer (32 feet) I believe it pulls even better. I saw just under 9 mpg going down there and around 10 coming back.

At this point we could not be happier with our decision to upgrade. We will be taking 2 more trips in March so by the end of March it will have received a pretty good shake down.

I hope our news continues to be good.

Ken and Ellen Brown
Klbrown53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:02 PM   #2

Hope the news continues to be good too. Glad you're happy with your Rockwood 8314 BSS.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:50 AM   #3

Congratulations on the new trailer! That wait for the maiden voyage had to be a bomber?
You mentioned the freezing temperatures; I think everybody is ready for winter to be over. Over here in neighboring Louisiana, it has been either too cold, too wet, or both to do any outside projects.
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote