Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2006, 10:30 PM   #1
8318SS

Flickering lights

Anyone have problems with lights flickering, getting intermittently brighter or dimmer? I thought we had bad power, but with several trips under our belt to different camp grounds I suspect the power converter. When under heavy loads, such as A/C and microwave, the lights will get brighter, dimmer, flicker - you name it. If the Concertone is playing your favorite tune at the time, you will hear "popping" over the speakers.
2005 Dodge Durango SLT Hemi 4x4 AWD
1 ROK WUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:27 AM   #2

1 ROK WUD,

I could be wrong on this one but my guess would be a loose wire connection.

Most likely a common connection with all circuits, such as a Main power lead or a ground wire. The popping over the speakers are a good indication of this.

The Shore Power cable at the trailer sidewall is a good place to start investigating for a loose wire. A quick look at the Female connector on the Easy Lock Cover end of the power cord, and a look behind the Weather Proof power cord cover shouldn't take but a few minute to check. Make sure all wire connections are tight, especially the ground.

If all seem okay there, go to the converter. The electrical supply wiring is continuous from the Weather Proof power cord cover to the back of the converter. Check the incoming connection behind the main breaker .
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #3
8318SS

Thanks for the advice, can't hurt to look! If nothing else, the camper will be going back to the dealer for warranty work at the end of the season!
Old 11-01-2006, 10:02 AM   #4

We recently purchased a 2007 Rockwood 8315SS. I noticed the same strange flickering of the lights you mention. After reading the manual on the power converter, I suspect that the converter is periodically applying a load to the battery to "cycle" it. This would account for the dim lighting at times. Have you found out any more about this "problem"?

Thanks

John U
midnightpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:44 AM   #5
8318SS

John,

Going on Milzat's suggestion that there might be a loose connection...

The last few times we camped this season, I made an extra effort to ensure the shore cable was properly "twisted to lock" and well secured with the collar nut. We did not notice the flickering, but then again the weather was cool, A/C was not running so the "load" on the converter was not quite the same. The camper goes in next week for a check up, so I will let you know what if anything was found.

Thanks,
Nathan
Old 05-07-2007, 08:16 PM   #6

Converter Issues with Furnace Blower

We camped several times since March. Each time we had problems with the converter. Lights would dim and the low battery alarm would sound. On cold nights the furnace would ignite but the blower would not operate. The battery indicator indicated that the battery was low. I tapped (rapped) the top of the converter and the lights brightened and the blower began to work. This same problem has occured on each camping weekend. Is it possible to check the wiring in the converter iteself? It is very frustrating to not be able to get service because my camper is under warranty and the authorized service centers are too busy to service my camper. I begin to wonder about Forest River's after market service. Steve and Peggy Smith, Fredericksburg, VA
camper22406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:20 AM   #7

Steve sorry to hear about the problem your having but let me assure you right now it doesn't matter what make rv you have the dealer's going to be busy. At least they better be. Your two weeks from Memorial day. Call them and ask if you can schedule something during the week then drop off the night before. But I think for peace of mind I'd get the dealer to look at it. Milzat can probably find something relating to the converters if you want to try it yourself.
Larry
Old 06-21-2007, 10:13 PM   #8
8318SS

Update on flickering lights

The camper went in for service over the winter. The dealer replaced the power converter, but we still have the problem. I paid close attention to the converter the last time we camped and noticed the lights flickering when the fan on the converter kicks in. The battery goes dead between trips due to CO2 detector and the radio being in standby, so here is my theory: The converter has to work overtime (cycle regularly) to charge the battery. When the cycling occurs, the lights alternate from bright to dim as charge is delivered to the battery. I plan to put a disconnect switch on the battery to keep the radio and the CO2 detector from draining it between trips, we'll see if that makes a difference. Any thoughts? Has anyone else installed a disconnect. If so, where did you locate it?
Old 06-22-2007, 06:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ROK WUD View Post
I plan to put a disconnect switch on the battery to keep the radio and the CO2 detector from draining it between trips, we'll see if that makes a difference. Any thoughts? Has anyone else installed a disconnect. If so, where did you locate it?
My rig came with a battery disconnect. It's located close to the battery, which on my trailer is inside the front storage compartment under the 5'er over-hang.

My FIL has one on his Rockwood and its located near the battery on the tongue of the trailer just to the inside out of the way. It looks like it's waterproof to me.

good luck and let us know how you do it

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:22 AM   #10
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ROK WUD View Post
The battery goes dead between trips due to CO2 detector and the radio being in standby... I plan to put a disconnect switch on the battery to keep the radio and the CO2 detector from draining it between trips, we'll see if that makes a difference.
I have not experienced your problem with the lights going dim. However, I have the same problem with the battery discharging between trips - unless the trailer is left plugged in to shore power. Obviously, there is a parasitic drain somewhere. The CO2 detector and the radio and TV memories seem like obvious culprits. Does anyone know of any other "always on" devices? (I do make sure to turn off the refer unless I stay plugged in.)

My workaround has been to pull the in-line fuse at the battery. A disconnect switch, possibly at the same location, would be a more elegant solution. Of course, you would then have to reprogram your TV and radio stations when you fire everything back up. Some folks mount a solar panel on the top of the air conditioner cover in order to provide a constant trickle charge to the battery, and that might be the best solution of all since it will maintain the battery over long periods of time. It stands to reason that the charging capacity of the solar panel setup would have to exceed the the load imposed by the parasitic drain.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:49 AM   #11

dimurrrw (Richard),

Check out this thread on Holding Tank Elbow Heater relay wired wrong. Battery drain ?
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:13 PM   #12

Nathan,

What I found with mine was that the power converter (inverter) was in an overtemp mode and was basically shut down and trying to restart. It was going from 11.5 volts to about 13.5 volts for about 10 seconds every 3 seconds or so. In the power supply industry this is called hic-cup auto restart mode.

The root cause in my case was that the power converter was always starting up at 14.5 volts which is not correct except in an extreme discharge situation which you seem to have. (My battery was at 100% charge).

I replaced the power converter section and my problem is gone.

My guess is that you will be ok if you disconnect your battery between uses. My battery is on charge virtually 24/7/365.

The power converter actually has 3 modes of operation to allow for continuous chargeing.

Here is a link to a very detailed description of how the converter should work.
http://www.dudesrv.com/WFCOTheRealDirt.htm

Good luck.

John U
Back on the road 10/20
2010 Born Free 22RSK
midnightpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood