Old 11-04-2015, 03:05 PM   #11
Left Coast
Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
No time like the present to learn...we out west learned early in life. Towed a lot between Oregon and California thru the mountains in winter snows to go what you gotta due.

Bob/Linda, 99 Dodge 2500 Cummins,2010 8280 Rockwood Ultra-lite 5er, PullRite Superglide----- I'm retired......but work part time as a pain in the ass!........... USMC.
bob caldwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:09 AM   #12
Nothing to add regarding the chains, except that you won't need them. My comment is about Stone Mtn Campground - we go there every year for Memorial Day. It's a very nice campground and I look forward to our trip every year. Be sure to go over to the actual rock and see the carving, ride the tram (or hike) to the top. It's quite an impressive place.

2015 Rockwood 2306
2015 Tundra CrewMax

53flattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:55 AM   #13
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
Forget getting chains for trip to Atlanta... The problem is not your getting around it is all the other crazy drivers that can't drive...
X2 I'm a former yankee who learned to drive in ice and snow. Been in Atlanta 45 years and I NEVER drive here in snow unless it's a matter of life & death.
"But, oh that magic feeling, nowhere to go." -- The Beatles

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:45 AM   #14
florida boy towing this winter

If you MUST drive in snow make sure you turn down the gain on your TT brakes. They will lock up easily. You have to drive slow enough you can get the whole rig to stop when needed.
As others have stated its best to avoid towing in snow.
2015 Ford F150 Platinum 3.5L Ecoboost
2015 Rockwood Ultralite 2604WS
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #15
Originally Posted by coupevillefish View Post
I agree with the if it's snow'n , I ain't go'n approach. That said, I did some research a while ago on Washington chain up laws. The statute was more towards commercial trucks but our requirement is chains on the drive wheels and on the far rear right trailer tire. I don't know the logic of only one trailer tire but that was what the illustrations showed.
If you put a single chain on the trailer it keeps the wheel turning long after the others have locked up. As long as one wheel turns the trailer will stay behind you and not follow the road crown into the ditch.
Before auto slack adjusters we would deliberately back off one wheel brake right so we could always have one set of wheels on the trailer that would never lock up.
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:41 PM   #16
I was in Atlanta a couple of years ago in my car when it started snow flurrying. Those people are CRAZY! It was not accumulating, just a few flakes flying and it was about 36 degrees. 75 miles an hour, then complete stop, then 75 again. Cars every which-a-way all over I-75. We finally parked the vehicle and got a hotel. We waited until the next day and headed out.

I don't even want to pull a trailer through Atlanta, but definitely would not if it were snowing or had black ice.

You really should be fine in December. I would worry more about late January, early February. That's when it's more likely.
merrykalia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #17
Cyber Phrenologist
Originally Posted by scsowi View Post
we have decided we are going to stone mountain georgia for christmas and i am guessing it is going to be cold enough for ice/snow.
I'd be guessing again.

It simply will not snow on Christmas in Atlanta, GA.

And if it does (but it won't) just stay put for a day and enjoy watching civilization come to a halt around you. Leave the chains at home and bring some short sleeved shirts.

This is one less thing for you to worry about. Come on up and have fun.
Admin at, part of the Social Knowledge network.
"RVing and Amateur Radio served up on the same plate"
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:05 PM   #18
Looking Down Range
"You should be more concerned about black ice when the roads are wet. If you don't see a spray coming from the rear of other vehicles it is time to get off the road."

Excellent advice!

2014 Forester 3051S
2013 Ford Focus
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote

towing, winter